Ladies - Who lost 100+ with lifting heavy???

Options

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: A lot of people here recommend "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" and there is a Group on here based on that book.

There are a couple of other Programs but I am not as familiar with them.

:drinker: Good Luck, I Know you can Do This!!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    Just for my own personal curiosity, what does everyone consider heavy? I am really interested in lifting but not sure what heavy really means. Thanks!

"Heavy" is whatever weight is heavy To You. If you cannot do more than 8 to 10 repetitions with a particular Weight, that is "Your Heavy"
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs doing a combo of Walking/Jogging and Lifting. I never got into the heavy lifting till recently, so I can't say that my 30lb loss has all been that. What I do for a walking/jogging is normally at the track that the HS has open to all or around my neighborhood were there are hardly any cars. I have 150lbs to loose still and well if you want you can add me and we can work at it together :D! would love some tips on what you do to get into lifting! Good Luck!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I started at 294 (5'4/f) and have gotten to 192 in 8 months with heavy lifting 3 days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week, lifting has changed my body in ways I never thought were possible!!

Please share program thanks!

any progressive lifting program for beginners will work. all pro beginner is what I use, but what's important is,
    choosing one that you'll enjoy doing, and that it fits in your schedule so you can do it consistently.
    They are designed with a specific schedule. If you keep missing workouts, or needing to reschedule them it messes up your rest days and you wont' be making progress like you should or at all.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Just for my own personal curiosity, what does everyone consider heavy? I am really interested in lifting but not sure what heavy really means. Thanks!

MAXIMUM 12 reps to failure, but I'd say 1-12 reps

Failure means you can't do another rep. If you can do over 12 reps the weight is to light.

I might even go as high as 15 reps... but i think 12 is better.

15 reps is practically cardio.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 185 pounds...I didnt do it with what I call heavy lifting but I started at 380 pounds and started strength/resistance training at around 340 pounds combined with cardio :)
  • katy_trail
    Options
    just bc it 'worked' for your friend doesn't mean it was the best way, and doesn't mean it would work for most people.
    also, people need to understand if it's 3 working sets or if that includes the warm up? .
    There are advantages and disadvantages to the various rep ranges and number of sets.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    yeah it would be better to post a chart but i can't remember where it was
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: The chart is very helpful!! Thank You!
  • alosea2012
    alosea2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My 1st 34lbs came off with Cardio and BodyPump then I ditched both and the last 20lbs of fat came off with LiveFit (free on bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason-Middletons program laid out day by day, phase by phase!)
    I've gained 6lbs of muscle in 6 months , dropped 9.9% body fat (48lbs gone). some may think losing "only" 14lbs is too slow but I'm not gaining it back or giving up (medical issues slow me down but they are not an excuse!)

Recommend LiveFit but you have to trust the way the prgram is written! 4 weeks no cardio eat at a surplus, this is needed to gain muscle (if you are a scale addicted person you will freak out!) but by week 12 the fat will be gone and then some!

I just started a new 12 week program with big compound movements, my goal is to add more muscle and prove those 6lbs were not newbie gains ;)

Add me here if you'd like I'm also on FB @ Going for Fit
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I didn't do solely heavy lifting; cardio too, including running.

But weights (free weights/barbells) have made up the core of my workout program since my first month on MFP, and I'm down 130+ pounds. I'd rather lift weights than any other type of exercise. I LOVE it and I love what it does to my body.

two years ago and last week:
    87187730-8cd3-41db-ae8b-c1eeb361cad8_zps4b4b900f.jpg
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out cardio all together, and I won't. The health benefits far outweigh my boredom. Right now, I do cardio on my non-lifting days, and I mix it up... 20 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the elliptical, and 20 mins on the bike. Spending much more than 20 minutes on any one thing and I just want to bang my head against the wall! LOL It doesn't help that our little gym has only one elliptical (which is my favorite of the 3), and no tv's or anything, so when I am on it, I have my music in my ears, but I have no choice but to stare at the same building across the street. haha I am going to try doing more walking outdoors. I live right next to the local middle school, so I can walk to that track and walk anytime, and I get to take my dog with me.

I'm not sure what your fitness level is, but have you considered adding interval training / HIIT to your cardio? I'll do this on a running track or treadmill, but you can even do it on the elliptical. You can shorten your time spend on the soul-crushing cardio machines if you do intervals, and it definitely makes the time pass.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

"Heavy" is whatever weight is heavy To You. If you cannot do more than 8 to 10 repetitions with a particular Weight, that is "Your Heavy"

When I hear "Heavy" I here: I Progressively lifting heavier weights. In other words I should be barely able to finish the set and when that weight gets to easy I increase it. You should be increasing your weights pretty regularily which is how it builds strength.
  • doty0815
    doty0815 Posts: 68
    Options
    BUMP>>>>>>>>>>>
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    FWIW: I've always shot for the magic number of 7 reps per set. Works for me........

Try a certain amount for one month and then change it the next month. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you.

MAXIMUM 12 reps to failure, but I'd say 1-12 reps

Failure means you can't do another rep. If you can do over 12 reps the weight is to light.

I might even go as high as 15 reps... but i think 12 is better.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump :) In it for more successes.

Currently have 93 lbs to lose, and I primarily lift. So looking for more people to support me.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!