My journey

Options
Hi, my name is Frankie. Every year for the past so many years i try to lose weight. Every year the same result i lose some weight but i stop trying. Every year i also start the same way go to the gym then try to work on a diet. This year i started a little different, i started to just watch what i eat and how much of it. That started just over a month ago.
Today will be the 8th day in a row im going to the gym. I know some people believe that going to the gym everyday is a bad thing cause ones body needs time to recover. I have considered this so every other day has been just a 15 minutes walk or bike ride. Im doing this cause i have read studies that show it takes 21 days to create a habit. That is what i want to do, i want to want to go to the gym not just because i need to go to the gym. I only started recording my caloried on here for 5 days now thanks to a friends suggestion .
A little more about myself, I'm 6'2" 425lbs at the start of my journey, today is a wieght in day.I work midnights in a favtory it is a pretty easy job just a lot of standing in one place is involved. I go to the gym right after work for a couple of reasons. The first reason being i have a hard time gettingbup and motivated before work. The second reason is that i dont like using public showers or even bathrooms for that matter. Third i dont want to be tired and struggle through work. Also the gym i picked is right next to my work and in between my house and work so i can never make the excuse that it is out of my way.. earlier this year i entered into my first beard competition it was a lot of fun and met a lot of great people im looking forward to the next event i can attend. Other hobbies i have are reading and doddeling i would say sketching or drawing but im not any good at it. I have been over wieght my entire life it seems and no matter how active i was even as a kid playing multiple sports year round.
My first week at the gym I focused more on cardio and eases myself into the workout cause i have to be able to work the next day and also fo back to the gym . Today when I go im going to add wieght lifting into my gym workout a friend suggested jason blahas Ice cream workout. Its a strange name considering that no ice cream is involved. Just like the cardio workouts im going to start with light wieghts to ease my boday into the workouts. I have made the mistake of burning myself out at the gym and never returning before. Being 30 years old i feel if i dont get it right this year i may never get it right.My plan is to write on here at least once a week an update with what and how my wieght loss journey is going. In some of my reading s i heard that it was jelpful to put things like this out in the open to get them out of your head. Good luck to all those starting your hourney.

Replies

• minca1920
    minca1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Frankie!
    All sounds very farmilliar, year in, year out. I am 32 now so I also feel like "this is it"
    Feel free to add me, I would like to know how you are doing and how you progress.
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well just a quick update and i believe my results come from all the work before starting at the gym but down 18lbs after 1 week so down to 407 i know results slow down from here but this helps me really want to keep going :D
  • graneydp
    graneydp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work Frankie!
  • csteffens81
    csteffens81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome Frankie, you're doing Great!! You are very inspiring! Just opened an email which had a quote... thought I'd pass it on to you: "Believe you can and you're halfway there" - Theodore Roosevelt best of everything to you!
  • Wentra12
    Wentra12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the approach of this as a life change rather than a diet. I've had more success with this attitude than anything else. The point is helping your body to its next step of health. My exercise could be considered light to some one who is very fit yet the progress I can feel in my body and the lack of huge soreness means I've kept at it since September. Take care of you!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Good frame of mind to be in!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Make small changes at first so you don't overwhelm yourself. Keep walking on the treadmill at the gym to increase circulation in your legs to prevent clots. And most importantly take it easy on yourself. You are special!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Creating a healthy lifestyle takes time and work it doesn't happen overnight as you've already discovered. Congratulations on taking the first steps, personally I think not overthinking it is what creates a good beginning. I completely understand going to the gym everyday and love that your'e going even for just 15 minutes, it's definitely the habit and you'll very quickly draw an audience, not because of your size or what you do but simply because you're there, people will be in awe of your dedication.

Go get that healthy life Frankie!
  • frankie5152
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words. Hearing good job and way to go will help be the push I need when my legs are a little extra sore or my arms are too heavy to lift. So thank you truely from my heart that complete strangers can be so kind.
  • AnishaLikesPizza
    AnishaLikesPizza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey I am also trying to eat clean and workout for 21 days straight , I even have a daily calender on my wall that I use to keep track of the dates and workouts and food I eat, so I can visually see everything I'm on day 3today , the furthest I've been is 5 days
  • frankie5152
    Options
    I have tried many times and failed many times. Im hoping that this time will be the time i truely succeed. Every day is a new victory and a step in the right direction. Today is a success im at 10 days!!
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read your post today. The last few months I have been in a funk. I went from walking 4 miles 3 times a week to NOTHING. I'm slowly starting to get motivated again. My mind just hasn't been in the right place. This is the first time I've visited the message boards in about a year. Yours is the first post I've read, Frankie. You have inspired me :-) Keep going! You're doing great.
  • frankie5152
    Options
    Thank you hearing things like that help encourge me to keep going down this path. If i can continue through this friday without pop it will be 7 days in a row. Which is a huge success i use to go through almost 2 2 liters a day of mt. Dew. So Thank You
  • frankie5152
    Options
    The amazing support people have shownnme from this app is incredible. I have now made it 14 days to the gym 14 day no alcohol 11 days using this app and being under my calories for the day and 10 days no pop/caffine. It is a great start of this long journey. Thank you.
  • jennypeachtree
    jennypeachtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    awesome job :) i too had the "it takes 21 days to start a habit" mindset at the beginning. how hard could 21 days be, right? being in the right mindset makes all the difference. keep up the good work!
  • jennypeachtree
    jennypeachtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    also, love beard! lol.
  • sars388
    sars388 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keep it up dude.
  • frankie5152
    Options
    also, love beard! lol.

Thank you very much. I think starting to just watch what i was eating before starting anything helped as well. Not shaving the beard untill i hit my goal weight..... even then ill still probably keep it
  • frankie5152
    Options
    sars388 wrote: »
    Keep it up dude.

Thank you and i will
  • bandedup
    bandedup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job on giving up soda. I also used to drink about 2 liters a day but it was diet so I didnt think I was doing anything wrong. Turns out it can lead to kidney stones. Worst pain ever!
    I have never been to the community part of this and think it will be helpful to me. I like it when people make their food.diaries public so I can get ideas of what others are doing. I just made mine public so I am more accountable.
    I applaud your ability to go to the gym. I have never been able to do that. Will be checking back on you. Feel free to friend me.