Always exceeding my sugar limit!?

Options
Hey everyone...so i'm always exceeding my sugar allowance but it's primarily sugar from fruits.

I figured that natural sugar is less harmful than eating a giant chocolate bar but just to make sure I wanted to know if all the sugar i'm consuming from fruits is going to negatively impact my weight loss.

Thank you and have a nice day! : )

Replies

• suunflower
    suunflower Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to sugar. Especially being a fruit lover, I feel like it's impossible *not* to exceed. It's not like you're eating ten bags of gummy bears! It's fruit! :)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There is no need to track sugar as a macro unless you're diabetic or something. Just count carbs
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    same i dont count sugar but make sure i stay low on processed sugar
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do too its mainly natural ans RD has said nothi g so I don't watch it any more
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason that you need to avoid sugar, it should be fine, and should not impact your weight loss as long as you're maintaining a calorie deficit. If it bothers you, simply remove it from the list, and you won't see it anymore. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The MFP tracker is designed more for processed sugars not for the ones that come from fruits and veggies (even though it doesn't differentiate). That being said, in the absence of a medical condition, you don't have to worry about your sugar intake.
  • mbs439
    mbs439 Posts: 17
    Options
    You're not alone. I always end up exceeding my sugar limit before anything else. I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruit, but I can see how it can be helpful in being accountable for intake of sweets because they can be the biggest source of calories.
  • sar1386
    sar1386 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am having the same issue, I eat plenty of fruit which is to an issue but it does annoy me when I see my daily goal go over all the time, is there a way to change the number from 30g? If anyone is looking for a friend on here, I would be happy if u can add me:)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336