I feel like a joke!

Options

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    imo, do the whole thing. Make that your goal. Which means you can't run yourself into the ground -- aim to stick it out, so you don't push until you want to puke. (I know she'll tell you to push, just remember, as a beginner, you ARE pushing, even with all my below tips, so no, do not push to puking in 5 minutes. Endure. Conserve energy.)

- Go at a slower pace. (Ex. She does 20 pushups, you do 2, oh well!)
    - Don't go as far into the movement. (Ex. Jumping jack without arm movement, small jump)
    - Always choose the beginner modification.
    - Take a break. (Walk in place)
    - Substitute. Do something else that works for you. (Ex, march in place with high knees instead of jump rope)
    - Hold. (Ex. Hold plank, instead of mountain climber plank)
    - Use less weight / no weight.

You'll learn a lot more by doing the whole thing, too. For example, those arm punches, that would make a great cardio sub for the jumping if you're getting tired. But you don't learn them until later in the video.

You also teach your body how to recover. A lot of cardio is recovery (rather than blasting into "my lungs are on fire, my throat is sore now, my chest hurts, I'm going to die").

You'll also get to see little improvements on different areas. I think you'll see way MORE little improvements like that than you'll see if you're just trying to push through in a linear fashion. So instead of "hey I made it through 6 minutes instead of 5" you'll see "hey, I got all the way through that first set of jumping jacks, and I got an extra two knee pushups in today, and I took fewer breaks during the jump rope, and I think I actually enjoy those butt kicks and..." <-- know what I mean?

So sticking with it, but at a lower intensity, with breaks, modifications, substitutions, is how you'll progress faster, in my experience, than going FULL ON and quitting in a couple minutes.

Some day you'll be able to do the whole thing, no stops (with whatever modifications you still need). Then you can work on the next level, or you can stay there and work on things like putting more energy in (bigger jumping jacks, bigger arm movements, really "pop"), hitting pace, advanced modifications, higher weights, that sort of thing.

Oh, and with Jillian? Pay attention. She gives you lots of little spots to catch your breath, she really does! It's just, you'll miss them, if you're standing there cursing her out, or giving yourself a negative self-talk ("I suck at this, this is awful, etc"). Focus. Use every little break between circuits, when she's talking, etc to BREATHE.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Pretty soon you will be doing the whole thing. It takes time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    Tried level 1 of the 30 day shred for the first time last night.
    I lasted 5 minutes before I had to stop because I felt sick and like I was going to faint!
    How am I supposed to get fit and lose weight if I can only last 5 minutes?
    I feel like a joke.

If you could do all 30 minutes in one go, what would be the point of doing it in the first place?!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    quotes-sucking_00280391.png

because eventually, you won't suck at it anymore.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I lasted 5 minutes before I had to stop because I felt sick and like I was going to faint!
    I feel like a joke.

walk,.

• lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Did it again today and got to 10 minutes :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Did it again today and got to 10 minutes :)

You've doubled your time already! :)

One of the best parts about being really not fit enough to do something the first time you try it, is how amazing you're going to feel when you nail it. Some day you'll be marveling that you started at 5 minutes, and be so proud at how far you've come!

And I love your avatar. :D
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself! Everyone starts somewhere, and as everyone says, just keep doing it. Eventually you'll be doing the whole thing like a pro. Hang in there!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the amount of time, just keep doing it everyday and before long you'll be doing the whole workout without stopping.
  • barbiereynolds701
    barbiereynolds701 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    imo, do the whole thing. Make that your goal. Which means you can't run yourself into the ground -- aim to stick it out, so you don't push until you want to puke. (I know she'll tell you to push, just remember, as a beginner, you ARE pushing, even with all my below tips, so no, do not push to puking in 5 minutes. Endure. Conserve energy.)

- Go at a slower pace. (Ex. She does 20 pushups, you do 2, oh well!)
    - Don't go as far into the movement. (Ex. Jumping jack without arm movement, small jump)
    - Always choose the beginner modification.
    - Take a break. (Walk in place)
    - Substitute. Do something else that works for you. (Ex, march in place with high knees instead of jump rope)
    - Hold. (Ex. Hold plank, instead of mountain climber plank)
    - Use less weight / no weight.

You'll learn a lot more by doing the whole thing, too. For example, those arm punches, that would make a great cardio sub for the jumping if you're getting tired. But you don't learn them until later in the video.

You also teach your body how to recover. A lot of cardio is recovery (rather than blasting into "my lungs are on fire, my throat is sore now, my chest hurts, I'm going to die").

You'll also get to see little improvements on different areas. I think you'll see way MORE little improvements like that than you'll see if you're just trying to push through in a linear fashion. So instead of "hey I made it through 6 minutes instead of 5" you'll see "hey, I got all the way through that first set of jumping jacks, and I got an extra two knee pushups in today, and I took fewer breaks during the jump rope, and I think I actually enjoy those butt kicks and..." <-- know what I mean?

So sticking with it, but at a lower intensity, with breaks, modifications, substitutions, is how you'll progress faster, in my experience, than going FULL ON and quitting in a couple minutes.

Some day you'll be able to do the whole thing, no stops (with whatever modifications you still need). Then you can work on the next level, or you can stay there and work on things like putting more energy in (bigger jumping jacks, bigger arm movements, really "pop"), hitting pace, advanced modifications, higher weights, that sort of thing.

Oh, and with Jillian? Pay attention. She gives you lots of little spots to catch your breath, she really does! It's just, you'll miss them, if you're standing there cursing her out, or giving yourself a negative self-talk ("I suck at this, this is awful, etc"). Focus. Use every little break between circuits, when she's talking, etc to BREATHE.

+1
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I first started 30DS, I got discouraged because one of the first moves is push-ups. I couldn't even do one, not even on my knees. I have little stick arms that aren't good for anything, lol. But I've kept trying and now I can do several knee push-ups. You really can make a lot of progress in a short time if you stick with it.
  • shawnaready736
    shawnaready736 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple weeks to be able finish that video :p Give 100% everytime and try push just little bit longer. You'll suprised how fast your body will respond. I've been in out of working my whole life. The first are the hardest. After starts crave it!.
  • shawnaready736
    shawnaready736 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ^first few weeks*
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just keep going! Before you know it wou will not only finish the 20 minutes, you may want to keep going :) I just finsished day 7 of level one, and today was the first time I didn't feel like I was half as$$ing it
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I can easily run 10+ miles but I can barely make it through the 27 minutes of 30 DS. :smile: The key is to keep pushing, even if it is just 5 minutes an 10 seconds the next time. Baby steps! :smile:
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I first got on an exercise machine years ago, even before my weight gain, I was completely winded after a minute on the elliptical. 1 stinkin minute! Now I can go as long as 1 hour. (but my cardio sessions stay in the 20-40 min range.) Just keep doing it and you will get better! Practice makes perfect right. ;)
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I felt the same when I was doing that program. And if I remember correctly, there's a modifier right? You'll find yourself getting stronger after just the first week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago when i briefly frequented the gym... My first session was a body attack class. I thought i was going to pass out after 10 minutes, and left the class.
    Long story short, i kept going back and eventually got through the whole 60 minutes. You will get better at it, i promise. Give it a chance and before you know it you'll be able to complete the dvd and probably have a giggle at this thread.
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I feel like a joke.

I started with Jillian video muffin top? I was over 300 pounds but don't know as my scale went up to 300. I'd cry as i felt so worthless. Not any more. You can do this thing and proud of you for starting. You can do it!!

• Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of other people have given great advice and I have to throw my hat in with the 'try to finish the entire video, just slow down/modify/take breaks as needed' crowd. Trying to stick with it for the full length of the video, even if for long portions you just march in place and watch, will get you moving for a sustained period of time, improve your endurance and help you learn the moves. Then when you progress a bit further I always found it helpful to get through tricky exercises by focusing on my form. When you're focused on making sure your form is perfect, and adjusting yourself, you kind of forget how long you've been going for and feel less tired. You're also setting yourself up for better overall form and performance later on!

In the end though, five minutes doing an exercise you find difficult is leaps and bounds better than all those people who remain sitting on the couch AND all those people who never push themselves outside of their comfort zones! You're doing something hard, that makes it worth it!