The greatest compliment

Options
Well, in my opinion, the greatest compliment you can recieve when you are trying so hard to lose weight is to be asked "Have you lost weight ?"
The problem is, you will not hear this from people who see you on a daily basis. I suppose this is because losing weight is a gradual process.
I have to admit I do like to hear this compliment because it gives me extra encouragement that my efforts are working.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get at least one of these comments from coworkers every week. Granted, I've been at it for fifteen months and have so much to lose, but it does happen.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm awful at noticing with people I see often. Same the other way. In uni one friend put on loads of weight (3 dress sizes) and I didn't notice until someone else was describing her as they couldn't remember her name and they said "she's blonde and big" and I was like "she is tall" and they said "she's also quite big" and she was. Gorgeous girl, dresses fab and loves her body - just showed how little attention I pay!!!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Funny, I always get a little upset when someone says that to me. I only seem to see people as being either fat or thin. If I thought of someone was thin before and they lose weight, I won't notice, because as far as I can see they're still thin. I'll only notice if someone goes from fat to thin (or thin to fat...), and they have to be pretty noticeably fat for me to think of them as fat. So if someone says that I've lost weight it makes me think that I must have been noticeably fat before, which is not only embarrassing because I always thought I looked alright (looking back at photos I still think I looked alright), but also makes me worry that I can't tell whether I look fat or thin. I look at myself now and think I look alright, but maybe everyone else actually still sees me as fat, like they did before.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I gained about 50 pounds during the course of dating my husband, all of which he claims he didn't notice (to be fair, I was very overweight already and I hold my fat evenly so it just meant being bigger all over). Now that I've lost 70, he also tells me that it's hard to notice until he compares me now to old pictures (I still have lots to lose so it's not like I'm all of a sudden skinny). Compared to when I ran into an ex-coworker last week... they had to do a double take and told me that they barely recognised me because I was so much thinner. That was a great feeling!

• lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Funny, I always get a little upset when someone says that to me. I only seem to see people as being either fat or thin. If I thought of someone was thin before and they lose weight, I won't notice, because as far as I can see they're still thin. I'll only notice if someone goes from fat to thin (or thin to fat...), and they have to be pretty noticeably fat for me to think of them as fat. So if someone says that I've lost weight it makes me think that I must have been noticeably fat before, which is not only embarrassing because I always thought I looked alright (looking back at photos I still think I looked alright), but also makes me worry that I can't tell whether I look fat or thin. I look at myself now and think I look alright, but maybe everyone else actually still sees me as fat, like they did before.

Know exactly what you mean!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Really?

I prefered "Oh my ***** god, you look AMAZING!" myself
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Really?

right!
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Really?

Beware of such compliments- they are probably after something :-) ;-)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I got a "I didn't even recognize you at first" this weekend. That felt good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    To me the greatest compliment from someone is "Thanks for all your help. The info and instruction you gave me helped me reach my goal". Being sincere here. The more people I see succeed with my assistance, makes my job really all the more worthwhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Really?

Me, too.

Also it was really nice that a friend I hadn't seen in about six months walked right past me, didn't even recognize me at all.

I also really like "you look so fit", and "holy cow, your arms look fantastic".
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i just want my husband to say "you look hot" (which he does all the time, BTW)...
    now i just have to catch-up and think it of myself!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My favorite compliment is "You are such an inspiration" After I lost a lot of weight, I got this from people who were not overweight...I inspired them to get fit. That felt awesome

ETA The "Have you lost weight" compliment is also wonderful though
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    Really?

Beware of such compliments- they are probably after something :-) ;-)

You make that sound like a bad thing dude...

Personally, I think I would prefer a compliment along the lines of "I find your hard work, commitment and dedication to losing weight amazing!" because that is more a comment on what is important (embracing the process) rather than the actual result.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I prefer actual results over process, though.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    Well, in my opinion, the greatest compliment you can recieve when you are trying so hard to lose weight is to be asked "Have you lost weight ?"
    The problem is, you will not hear this from people who see you on a daily basis. I suppose this is because losing weight is a gradual process.
    I have to admit I do like to hear this compliment because it gives me extra encouragement that my efforts are working.
    Interesting! I probably would avoid saying it like that. I might say wow you look great!

• remelign
    remelign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    German guy at the gym: "Wow, you are so strong!"

Stranger on a group ride: "I could tell you knew the route by your calves!"
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I prefer actual results over process, though.

You look great!
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm seconding the "I didn't recognize you at first" as my favorite compliment! A friend whom I hadn't seen in a long time stared blankly at me when I waved at her, but when I finally said hello, that's when the light came on. She recognized my voice, but not the face it was coming out of! That was my biggest confirmation that I had made quite a transformation. Well, that, and sometimes I don't even recognize old pictures of myself, haha!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    The other day while I was at a local bulk food store buying our usual beans/flours/nuts the cashier asked me my opinion on protein intake and strength training, after I looked stunned for a couple seconds like *are you talking to me* she said "Well you just clearly look like you must train hard and know about that kind of stuff."

Over the last year I've gotten a few of the "wow you look great" or "you lost weight" etc but this was really the first time someone other than a close family member or friend that knows my routine has commented on fitness/health instead of just weight and looks. I have to say I was kind of flustered but also very flattered.