Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Options
My doctor has prohibited me from recreational walking and told me to limit any other activity on my feet. I have a torn tendon among many other issues with my ankle right now which is going to require surgery in the future.

I know this means I'm going to have to be more diligent on what I eat and make sure my calories count. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on exercises I could do to boost calorie burning. Will working out my upper body be enough to be considered calorie burning?

I have come too far to let this slow me down and not walking is going to kill me. It is one of my favorite things to do and a lot of times my kids come with me which makes it even better.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I know this is going to be part of my journey right now...I just don't want it to stop my journey.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to swim? That tends to be pretty gentle on the muscles, but is still a good workout. You could focus most of the effort of swimming on your arms. You could also do upper-body exercises like pull ups, or use the machines at the gym that only works the arms. If you Google arm exercises or upper body exercises there are loads of suggestions.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is rowing possible? Biking? Just upper body workouts while still valuable certainly wont burn as many cals as full body stuff like running & walking. How about other low-impact things like eliptical machines?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to the doctor treating the injury about what exercises would be safe.
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My doctor would like it if I didn't get on my foot at all lol. However three kids makes that almost impossible as it is. The doctor knew that at my job I can walk up to almost 5 miles a day just working. It's all sporadic walking though so I never count it as exercise. Since he knew that he basically wanted me to come home, put my feet up and lay around. That's just so not me. :)