Will 10 to 14lb really make that much difference?

Options
Fayeworth
Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my journey at 182lb and I'm 5ft 8in with a goal of 150lb. I reached that last week and currently weigh 148.8. I have now re-set my goal to 140lb because I still feel there is more to go and my ultimate goal is 135lb. Basically my question is…will the further 10 to 14lb make much of a difference, particularly to my thighs? The reason I ask is because I'm a true pear shape so I'm rather thin on top, my collar bones show and my tummy is fairly flat but my thighs never seem to change, not in my eyes anyway. There is plenty of fat there and very little muscle. I swim for an hour 5 times a week and take 2 spin classes a week at an hour long.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Whether it'll change your thighs is entirely up to your genetics, no one can know where the weight will come off. You just have to hope!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats will help your thighs....
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depends on the person for how it will look. I am 5'9" and have about 15 to go till my goal of 140, and I know it will be a huge difference on me.

And as said above, where you will lose weigh is genetic! Where have you noticed the most loss so far? Ultimately to get those thighs down you just have to keep losing body fat till you're at a point where you like it. It takes time, so you need to be patient.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes it will...I am 5 ft 7 and started where you did and goals were similar.

I got down to 143lbs last summer and gained some over Christmas ( was still within my 5lb buffer) so didn't worry about it...but then went down south and gained another 7....155lbs is the difference between me fitting into my size 4 and not...and the size 6's I have being a bit uncomfortable...

As for making a difference on your thighs...probably a bit but heavy squats/ deadlifts will help a tonne too.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Lunges and squats will help your thighs....
    Not for fat loss, only for strength or recomp

ETA: added more detail than just noooooo
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    10 lbs is likely to make a big difference since it sounds like you are down to a smaller area in which to lose from. Getting that last 10 off could be difficult though. Starting a solid full body strength program 2-3x a week would help a lot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 too and at my goal weight range around 160lbs

it really depends on body type and genetics

but weight training, squats and lunges are crucial, IMHO, in achieving any kind of body recomposition as you eat at a small defecit / maintenance
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Poundage makes a difference depending on how much someone has to lose, and what's actually being lost. If one lost 10lbs of muscle (not likely, but can happen), it would look much different on the same person who lost 10lbs of fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You can get an idea of how it might look here: http://whatwillilooklike.com/

Adjust it to your height and set the range 135-150, you'll see before/after pics of people who started at 150 or higher, and ended at 135.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    As someone who just put on that in 3 months (I'd otherwise maintained at 120 for over a year) I would say yes, I definitely notice that change... :( Mine goes all to my tummy so I don't know if you'd notice much of a change in your thighs specifically, but it would go from somewhere though!
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There really are a lot of factors that go into whether 10-14 pounds will "make a difference". As others have posted, it depends on how much of what you lose is fat vs muscle.

One thing I've read a lot on the boards is that CICO determines weight loss (fat and muscle together) but that watching your macros helps to determine your body composition (losing fat specifically instead of losing muscle). Since you're down to a healthy weight and you're working on the "lookin' gooood" pounds, start focusing on the macros (fat, protein, carbs) to find out the right balance to allow you to maintain as much muscle and lose fat?

Also, I've seen a TON of B&A photos where a women weighed less with bigger thighs, stomach, arms, etc and then started weight training and gained pounds, but had a smaller, tighter, more defined body.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 with a goal weight of 139. I would say that the last 10-14 lbs will make a huge difference. The smaller you get, the more the fat HAS to come off of the last reserves (on me- my hips). Your genetics determine where the fat comes off, so I hope you're not trying to target your thighs with the spin class.

The good news is, if the 10-14 lbs don't make a real difference and it's too hard to maintain, you can slowly gain up to your current weight, maybe while trying a body recomposition (adding muscle).
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For me it did. My original goal weight was 135lbs. I ended up setting my final maintenace range to 120lbs-125lbs. The last few pounds went a long way for body composition :)