Lower calorie Swiss Bircher Muesli ideas please???

Sapphire_Elf
Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
HI all

I have recently started making Swiss Bircher for breakfast but I'm struggling to bring in a low-ish calorie version - currently I'm up around 370 cals for a portion. Can anyone suggest a way to bring it down but still make it filling and worth having? I'm currently using the following:

40g plain porridge oats
70ml 1% fat milk
120gms yoghurt
approx 1/4 cup raspberries
approx 1/4 cup blueberries
half a small red apple (and I mean small, sort of kid lunchbox sizing!)

what do you use and is it possible to do a lower calorie version that's still tasty?????

Thanks!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Is that one portion? It seems a lot - I'd have half of the oats and yoghurt.
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Is that one portion? It seems a lot - I'd have half of the oats and yoghurt.

Tried that before, with the first recipe I tried - you get like two spoonsworth - which makes it pretty pointless to eat for a meal as I end up hungry about 10 minutes later :) It also looks REALLY sad in the bottom of a bowl LOL.

40g of oats is a fairly standard serving for porridge etc - the oats themselves aren't that high calorie and are pretty filling.

Perhaps I'll ditch the yoghurt, that'll take it down a bit!

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    Do you have anything else with this? 370 calories for breakfast is a little high but not much. I recently read an article by MFP that said you should be having 300-350 calories for breakfast. If you want to cut the calories some you might cut down on the fruit, either only use 2 fruits or half as much of each. If you can, you can also use fat free milk for a few calorie saving.
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Do you have anything else with this? 370 calories for breakfast is a little high but not much. I recently read an article by MFP that said you should be having 300-350 calories for breakfast. If you want to cut the calories some you might cut down on the fruit, either only use 2 fruits or half as much of each. If you can, you can also use fat free milk for a few calorie saving.

Hi, no that's all I have for breakfast along with a small cup of coffee before I beign on the day's water marathon! I guess it's not so bad, as it is filling and does keep me going until lunch.

I've made it differently today with no milk or apple and that's brought it down a bit to just over 300 instead :) And actually using the yoghurt to soak the oats overnight has made it much thicker/creamier than usual so a win!! :)
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    I go for 50g total muesli and soak it in fruit juice (usually orange), then a sensible amount of fruit and 3tbs/80g low fat greek yogurt.
    Works wonders for me and only 300kcal, which for something that makes me more active and stops me snacking is fab.