measure pasta before or after cooking?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I made this mistake in the beginning. Two ounces of cooked pasta is such a tiny amount, I almost gave up on ever having it again. Two ounces of dry pasta is a pretty reasonable amount (still a whole lot less than I used to eat) so that makes my Italian heart happy. One thing I have been doing is using a different shapes pasta for myself. That way I don't have to cook it separately. For example, penne for me and spaghetti for everyone else. It's easy to pull out my serving without having to re-measure after cooking.

Oh wow that sounds like a pain to have to dig through all the pasta to find your shapes, lol. I'd rather just use another pan.
    Weighing it when it's been cooked is silly. Pasta absorbs water. Al dente pasta will have less water than over-cooked pasta. Weigh it before. And +1 for different shapes. ;)

Personally, with stuff like this, I weigh it all after it's cooked, then weigh my own portion. Then I say "If it's 16 oz cooked, and I took 4 oz, then I took 1/5 of the box." Then I use that math to figure out what the dry weight was. Proportions and whatnot.

Got to weigh it before though. The box weight is never accurate.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    me thinks i shall not be making pasta much :p

lol, too much math for pasta haha = )

I think that when you log it, you can search for pasta "raw" or "boiled". So as long as you use the entry you weighed, you should be fine. (That would mean using a generic search instead of the one on your container, but I doubt the difference is too noticeable :))
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made this mistake in the beginning. Two ounces of cooked pasta is such a tiny amount, I almost gave up on ever having it again. Two ounces of dry pasta is a pretty reasonable amount (still a whole lot less than I used to eat) so that makes my Italian heart happy. One thing I have been doing is using a different shapes pasta for myself. That way I don't have to cook it separately. For example, penne for me and spaghetti for everyone else. It's easy to pull out my serving without having to re-measure after cooking.

Oh wow that sounds like a pain to have to dig through all the pasta to find your shapes, lol. I'd rather just use another pan.

I thought the same thing.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I made this mistake in the beginning. Two ounces of cooked pasta is such a tiny amount, I almost gave up on ever having it again. Two ounces of dry pasta is a pretty reasonable amount (still a whole lot less than I used to eat) so that makes my Italian heart happy.

Same here. I was so disheartened until I realized I was supposed to measure my pasta dry (and, tangentially, my meat raw). Every pasta box I have specifies that the serving is 2 oz dry, and about 1 cup cooked. I much prefer measuring to "about 1 cup.)

But seconding that as long as you choose a consistent measurement (i.e. always selecting "angel hair pasta cooked"), it should balance out. It still won't be as accurate, I would think, but close enough.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    me thinks i shall not be making pasta much :p

I live in Italy and make pasta everyday in hundreds of different ways and forms. Here, 100g dry, is a portion. I always make mine separately in a small pan, and often make 50 or 70g for myself. I also am careful of how much sauce I put on, whereas the family (all males) can eat alot more. This is what works for me. Pasta is so good! I hope you don't decide to give it up. :)
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You weigh it dry/uncooked. Trust me, I'm Italian, living in Italy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the pasta i bought says that 2 oz is a serving size, but it doesn't specify if this is pre-cooked measure, or after cooking. which do you use? most of my other foods will indicate.

that is dry...before cooking.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Weigh it dry.

When cooking for more than one, weigh the pasta again *after* cooking (to determine total cooked weight - not for logging), then weigh out your portion (to determine the percentage of the total you are eating), then use that percentage against the total *DRY* weight, and you have the calories for your portion - no need to cook separately or use different shapes.
  • sharlenethornton
    Options
    2oz of dry spaghetti is approximately one cup cooked.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I weigh and cook 6 oz of pasta. I weigh the cooked pasta (colander first, tare, then with pasta) and eat a third of the cooked pasta by weight. It's not as cumbersome as it sounds lol
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry is about 1 cup cooked... so if I'm cooking a whole box for several people, I just scoop out a cup for myself once it's done. It also helps if you're eating elsewhere to know that 1 cup is a serving.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I must be very tired because many of the posts in this thread seem to make no sense at all.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're talking about a situation where you eat out, we would all have to try and guess but OP wants to know if she should weigh it dry or cooked so obviously she has an option. To say for her to cook it then weigh it and if she underestimates makes no sense seeing that she has a better option. Why settle for guessing when you can know you have accuracy.
    I was responding to:
    what is the point of weighing if you aren't going to do it correctly?
    The OP was cooking at home but there are situations where you can't weigh before cooking. You can get a better estimate weighing after cooking that you can by just guessing.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options

This is Way Clever,
    Gold star for you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    wow.
    now i have no clue what to do! LOL

i can just use a separate pan for my pasta, measure out 2 oz of dry, cook in separate pan than the rest of the family's, then eat mine. it will be interesting to measure it after i cook it, and see the post-cooked weight in ounces as compared to the pre-cooked weight.

i have so many "extra" calories today, it won't really matter, but it might on another day.

Weigh the amount you need for everyone. Work out what % your 2oz is (and the calories for that dry weight).

Cook it - weigh it - take your % out of that.

So....6 oz of dry say - your portion is 33.3%

If its 12oz cooked - take 33.3% of that which = 4oz - that is your portion of cooked pasta.

Use the dry weight (as that's usually what is given) for the calories.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    from someone who cooks for my family I refuse to cook my food seperate. I weigh out the dry pasta and write down exactly how many servings I am cooking. when it is done cooking I drain my pasta very very well. (let it sit for about 5 minutes in strainer above pot) and then weigh the cooked pasta divide that total weight by how many servings and there yah have a serving. simple.
    your after weight will be different every single time and with every single type of pasta because they retain water differently/difference in how done it is etc.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    wow.
    now i have no clue what to do! LOL

i can just use a separate pan for my pasta, measure out 2 oz of dry, cook in separate pan than the rest of the family's, then eat mine. it will be interesting to measure it after i cook it, and see the post-cooked weight in ounces as compared to the pre-cooked weight.

i have so many "extra" calories today, it won't really matter, but it might on another day.

Weigh the amount you need for everyone. Work out what % your 2oz is (and the calories for that dry weight).

Cook it - weigh it - take your % out of that.

So....6 oz of dry say - your portion is 33.3%

If its 12oz cooked - take 33.3% of that which = 4oz - that is your portion of cooked pasta.

Use the dry weight (as that's usually what is given) for the calories.

Yup.

And if that's too much for you, and if you're cooking for your family regularly (and you usually have your pasta to the same "doneness"), within a matter of a few meals you'll have a pretty accurate sense of what your particular cooked pasta favorites equate to as dry weight -- i.e., you'll know that X grams of "Wedded Bliss's Perfect Penne" when cooked is approximately Z grams of uncooked dry weight penne. Not precise, but depending on how you're doing and where you're at, oftentimes close enough for government work.

FWIW - I sometimes do the same thing with steak ('cause I don't eat a lot of pasta but do eat a lot of steak!). I know that a new york strip cooked "a la Cortelli" is generally going to be between 85% - 90% of dry weight. Since I often grill 'em for the family and we're not limiting ourselves to one particular steak (i.e., they often get cut up / portioned) I often have to use the cooked weight to be "accurate" and have found "a la Cortelli" estimates of dry weight to be more accurate than using db entries for the same cut of meat broiled / grilled.

Also +1 for the different pasta ideas. Smart idea.

• hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

maxit wrote: »
    I weigh and cook 6 oz of pasta. I weigh the cooked pasta (colander first, tare, then with pasta) and eat a third of the cooked pasta by weight. It's not as cumbersome as it sounds lol

Did this an hour ago, weighed 6 oz, boiled it, drained it then weighed it. Divided by 3 and ate my portion!