Walking/jogging speed

Options
I have been walking/jogging for 15 weeks, 8-10 miles/wk. I can't seem to jog for more than 2-3 minutes no matter what my pace is. Right now my fastest time is 43 minutes, but I average around 45/46 minutes. My first walk took 54 minutes. My path is about 3 miles or 5k.

This is the only exercise I do consistently, so I want to make sure it keeps working for me. Any thoughts? Am I making good progress? Just wondering, since I have no former experience to judge by.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    I have been walking/jogging for 15 weeks, 8-10 miles/wk. I can't seem to jog for more than 2-3 minutes no matter what my pace is. Right now my fastest time is 43 minutes, but I average around 45/46 minutes. My first walk took 54 minutes. My path is about 3 miles or 5k.

This is the only exercise I do consistently, so I want to make sure it keeps working for me. Any thoughts? Am I making good progress? Just wondering, since I have no former experience to judge by.

If you consistently do this then it's going to work for you. That's the biggest factor in success. Keep it up. I have no doubt you're making progress.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to drop some weight so you can have the ability to move faster. Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. So focus on your food choices.

As for jogging vs walking. Either is fine (you don't have to jog to get the cardiovascular benefits). The faster you go, the less time you'll have to devote to that activity (or the further you can go in the same amount of time). Since you have a set path, why not break it into intervals (walk 5 minutes, jog 1 minute, and repeat)? You might be able to mix five or more 1 minute jogs into your workout.

Consistency is the key, so yes, that is progress. Keep keeping on!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Jeff Galloway method is all about run 5, walk 1. So you may be doing something that is very natural.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
    If you run slower you may be able to eventually run longer.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Forget worrying about speed. Speed is the last thing to come. If you can do 5k in 45 minutes, you're ready for a C25K.

Consistency and patience and you'll get there!

:drinker:
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine, keep it up and it will get easier. Eventually you'll be running a marathon!
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Forget worrying about speed. Speed is the last thing to come. If you can do 5k in 45 minutes, you're ready for a C25K.

Consistency and patience and you'll get there!

:drinker:

Oh. This is great to hear!
    Thanks to the others for your encouragement as well.