new to gyming! need tips??

Options
Hiya,

I'm new to this and the whole gym/diet thing. Been to the gym 5-6 days a week and been eating clean (ie. lots of veg and water). But when I weight myself every week for the past few weeks, it's only been less than 1kg each week. Am I doing things wrong? I was expecting at least 1kg each week since I worked so hard :(

I would appreciate any tips on diet or gym techniques!!

Jen x

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    1kg each week is fantastic. You don't want to lose more than that or you'll just lose your muscle along with your fat. Depending on how much you have to lose you should be loosing at a rate of 0.25kg-1kg per week.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    1/2 a kg per week is great, so it sounds like you're doing pretty good. However, I'd focus less on the scale and more on how you look and feel. Are your clothes fitting better? Are you tightening up in some places? Does your face look healthier? Do you have more energy?

Those are infinitely more important than a number on the scale.

As for the gym thing, LIFT HEAVY.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    That's good progress. A lot if things can happen like water retention in muscles for hard workouts. But you have a solid loss so don't stress. Stay with the olan give yourself time
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm new to this and the whole gym/diet thing. Been to the gym 5-6 days a week and been eating clean (ie. lots of veg and water). But when I weight myself every week for the past few weeks, it's only been less than 1kg each week. Am I doing things wrong? I was expecting at least 1kg each week since I worked so hard :(

I would appreciate any tips on diet or gym techniques!!

Jen x

You don't look to have much to lose, so 1kg a week is plenty.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Step on the scale less and use a tape measure. You have a better chance of seeing real results from it. 4wezrh6tlu1q.jpg
  • crystaltnovara
    crystaltnovara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you shouldn't pay too much attention to the scale. Your energy level and how your clothes fit should determine how well you're performing in the gym and in the kitchen! A lot of people will get discouraged depending solely on the difference in the scale. There are instances where you will gain weight or stay the same because muscle is more dense than fat. Keep up with what you're doing! And I also suggest HIIT workouts to blast thru the fat! They are quick yet amazing at getting rid of stubborn fat!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    A little less than 1kg a week is pretty fantastic OP. Any more than that is going to be the unhealthy kind of weight loss, especially for somebody who is already in a healthy weight range like yourself. Realistically you should be shooting for 0.5kg per week to avoid losing good lean mass in the process of losing fat.

I agree with other posters, focus less on the scale and more on what you see in the mirror and your lifting numbers going up (if you haven't been strength training at this point, you need to start).

I only weigh myself once per week, and look at the trend over a period of a month or so. Weight can fluctuate by as much as 3-5lbs per day. It's a pretty bad metric to track your progress with.