Does anyone else struggle with taking "Me Time" ?

Options
2»

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work my *kitten* off for my family. They can deal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you taking on too many small tasks that are filling your plate? Why not delegate your work to other folks? Shed some of your possessions to make space for you?

https://hbr.org/2010/04/the-worth-your-time-test.html

That's a good point. I pay someone to come in twice a month to clean my house. Takes a very large load off my plate (and creates some serious happiness). I pay her $20 an hour and since I make more than that, it makes sense to pay someone else to do it.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i still struggle to squeeze in me time but I'm getting better at it. when i do get me time i certainly don't feel guilty.
    everyone that has a relationship with you i.e. kids, spouse, siblings, parents, etc. always always benefit from you taking care of yourself first.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Omg I know exactly what you mean. I finally sat down with my husband and had a talk about it. I told him exactly how I felt- stretched too thin, guilty about never being "caught up," yet desperately needing time for myself to just enjoy. Things hadn't been easy for us and I knew a lot of it had to do with feeling burnt out and feeling like I had no life of my own. He was actually very supportive once I explained how I felt- before we talked about it, he didn't understand how important it was to have that time, and how it was affecting me emotionally and impacting our relationship as a result. Now I take time to do some things just for myself (meeting a friend for happy hour once in a while, spending an hour watching a favorite TV show while knitting, reading before bed, etc.) and it's really helped me maintain a life-work (including house-work) balance, and it helped our relationship, and it also helped prevent me from falling off the "healthy wagon" because I wasn't burning out and giving up after a month. I also found things that he and I could to together that were enjoyable but also productive such as gardening, which can also be good exercise, hiking, and going for walks together with the dogs.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i have me time in the washroom until one of my kids knocks on the door...
  • DaniDani82
    DaniDani82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel really guilty as it is having to sleep during the day(work 3rds), so I work out at home or outside with the kids. It is tough!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I used to feel guilty for taking me time. I also felt guilty if I did get to the gym but only had 30 minutes because then I felt I was cheating myself. That was about the time I started thinking what I could do at home during that 30 minutes I could be on the elliptical and the decision was made for an elliptical at home, gym membership cancelled. I now know I can run the washer and get in a workout on the elliptical at the same time. I can toss dinner in the oven to bake and do yoga for 30 minutes. Heck I've even been known to start the grill (while hubby is home) run a mile loop, toss food on grill, run another loop, flip food on grill, run another loop and then poof dinner is ready and I got in a workout.

I really think you have to find your own balance, some people get more me time than I'd know what to do with yet they feel they don't get enough of it. Others think they never have me time but don't realize they do however they don't use it in a way that they feel rewarded.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Of course we ALL struggle with me time. I try to get mine in first thing in the morning before the rest of the world comes pouring in with demands. Whether it is working out, meditating or just having a cup of coffee while watching the sun rise, I need my "me time" to be a better me.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ha. I struggle with not making all time "me time". Opposite problem although I think the key is to realize that balance is important. Now if only I could follow my own advice.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Great insight; thank you all. Balance is the key I believe.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I feel bad when I realize that sometimes I interchange me time with down time... When I get them both I'm great! I usually just manage me time for the morning before the family gets up and down time, when we are all getting ready to settle in...