Carb cycling

Options
Hi everyone!

I have actually never posted a discussion thread so this is a first for me!!
I am interested in carb cycling. Right now I am 128 and 5'4". I am not looking to lose weight I am just looking to get toned. I was looking into doing an insanity/p90x3 hybrid but I have no idea how to start with carb cycling doing that. If anyone can shed some advice on what carb cycling days look like. Such as how many carbs on a low day and how many on a high day. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ETA: WHOOPS, read wrong!

Enjoy the carbs!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I go for long bike rides I take a few bananas with me. I hope that helps.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    When I go for long bike rides I take a few bananas with me. I hope that helps.

lol
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is more for weight loss. I would find a good trainer and see what they recommend for toning.
  • mrsjennbaker
    Options
    I am not an expert but in the little research I have done on carb cycling, this is what I understand of it. You have days during the week where you eat more carbs and then days where you eat less. It's probably to keep your body guessing and therefore always burning fat (?). Like I said, I am not sure. Here's a really interesting article with an "easy carb cycling" plan to get an idea...

http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-the-easy-cycle/
  • d0lly704
    d0lly704 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but in the little research I have done on carb cycling, this is what I understand of it. You have days during the week where you eat more carbs and then days where you eat less. It's probably to keep your body guessing and therefore always burning fat (?). Like I said, I am not sure. Here's a really interesting article with an "easy carb cycling" plan to get an idea...

http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-the-easy-cycle/

That's what I've gathered from it too. Just not sure how to do it. I'll look at the article! Thanks!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sure, I do a 3 day carb cycle. Day 1 125-130, Day 2 170-175, Day 3 225-230. This is for me leaning out otherwise I'd hold around 200g a day. It has been fairly easy going and I've noticed a nice drop in weight while still mostly progressing with my gains.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    To get "toned" you need to lose fat... So you're likely to lose weight. Being toned has nothing to do with growing muscle, just losing the fat so you can see what is underneath.

Anyway.

I have used carb cycling - low days were -25% of carbs, high days +25%. Low days were non training days. Protein and fat stayed constant. Some people increase carbs more on high days by lowering Fats and adding more carbs.
  • bean5er
    bean5er Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate the word toned lol. You mean you need to lean up. Carb cycling is great. I use it to lose fat while still gaining muscle when prepping or whenever really. I typically have two high days which I use on my weaker body parts (legs and back) I'll then have 2-3 medium days and my low days (less than 100g) fall on off days or like arm day.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    When anyone mentions carb cycling I just think of a Banana on a bicycle
  • d0lly704
    d0lly704 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bean5er wrote: »
    Ugh I hate the word toned lol. You mean you need to lean up. Carb cycling is great. I use it to lose fat while still gaining muscle when prepping or whenever really. I typically have two high days which I use on my weaker body parts (legs and back) I'll then have 2-3 medium days and my low days (less than 100g) fall on off days or like arm day.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out the days and the grams.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    following, interested in carb cycling too :smile:
  • smile4jesus1
    smile4jesus1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need something to help lose weight. But just found out I'm type 2 diabetic and can not eat a lot of carbs so how would I do the carb cycling.
  • tee323232
    tee323232 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My advise is do what works for you and the only way is trial and error. May be a good idea to time heavy leg workouts with high carb days. Do that a few times and you won't anymore
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Activity day-high carb
    Low activity day - low carb

start slow example let's say for a week of tracking carbs you intake is 200/day the days that you don't do activity try to take 180g do it for a week .. Next week you do 170.g

If you take 200 then jump to 100 or less then .. I bet you will crash. Train your body .
  • Healeac
    Healeac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Following...
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think Chris Powell promotes carb cycling, maybe check out one of his books. But really if you want to get toned, start lifting heavy weights 3 times a week. You will lose fat, gain muscle, and probably maintain the same weight.
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling may not "trick" your body into doing anything, but if it adds motivation and keeps you aware of your food intake then you do you. I've never tried or read into it, but right now I eat about 40% carbs. If I were to do this I would probably switch that to 50% four days a week and 30% three days a week. Or something of that nature. I personally care more about the quality of carbs I am getting. All whole grains and sugar from things like fruit. Good luck to you!