Tracking is a Pain in the @$$

Options
Okay, it's rant time. For those of us who stay away from packaged foods and make a variety of recipes, tracking on MFP is a total pain in the butt! Entering the whole recipe (and remembering what you put in it) every time you make dinner? Especially if I measured in cups and whoever else measured in grams, or vice versa? Blergh. Okay, I'm done now.

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Haha know the feeling - tend to just make educated guesses a lot of the time as I don't always want to weigh EVERYTHING.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's a pain, and I'm very half-@$$ed myself. You could develop six to eight meals of known calories and alternate them.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    yah annoying to break out the spreadsheet to calculate the meal but i made a spreadsheet that does all the adding for me and i put in the servings and divides it accordingly

but i know it is for the greater good of my waistline so i keep up with it :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I found being fat more of a pain in the @$$.

Did you notice the recipe tab?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yeah... even if it's homemade I just grab a processed food for my food diary, at least it has the macros and sometimes micros listed. :)
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

^This. I've used it a few times. Definitely comes in handy.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This is just one of the reasons that I am now focusing more on intuitive eating than counting calories. Eating whole foods shouldn't be stressful! (Plus, this better addresses the reason I overeat in the first place.)
  • Underworld_Dandy
    Underworld_Dandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could always save yer own recipes
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

A bit pain in the @$$ you mean. I'll take the recipe tab every time, people want things too easy.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I am curious why it is so hard in MFP to find raw, whole food. Like potato, put that in and you have to search for potato. Same with pineapple of other fruits, etc. The whole, raw version of the food should be the first thing that comes up, not a bunch of other crap that might have a potato in it. /rant
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe tab. Unless you cook something new every single evening, you will find it really useful. The more recipes you enter, the easier it gets with time.

I tend to print my recipes, weigh everything, write it directly on the recipe while cooking (it takes just a few seconds) and save the print in a folder I keep in my kitchen. This way, I always know how to cook next time. If I change something in the recipe - no problem, I change it on MPF as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah. Finding a good entry for potato was the worst pain in the butt. I honestly don't really make fancy meals anymore, just separate things I can weigh separately.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Not exactly that difficult add things as you go along (or write them down) then make them a recipe so you can use it again. Doesn't really add much time and you get used to weighing everything. Personally I think your making a fuss over nothing. If you were able to overeat a cople of minutes on your meal prepe to help you get healthy is no bother.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's rant time. For those of us who stay away from packaged foods and make a variety of recipes, tracking on MFP is a total pain in the butt! Entering the whole recipe (and remembering what you put in it) every time you make dinner? Especially if I measured in cups and whoever else measured in grams, or vice versa? Blergh. Okay, I'm done now.

When is it not on MFP?
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am curious why it is so hard in MFP to find raw, whole food. Like potato, put that in and you have to search for potato. Same with pineapple of other fruits, etc. The whole, raw version of the food should be the first thing that comes up, not a bunch of other crap that might have a potato in it. /rant

Agree! And why are there 50 different entries for a potato? 1 for 50g, one for 75g, one for a cup, another for half a cup, yet another for a slice, etc etc etc. I'd love them all to be in one place called raw potato.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Being tired when I got to the top of the stairs was a pain in the butt...tracking is well worth it...and like others said, use the recipe tab! once you enter it in and how may servings it is there for you.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

KmE27SP.gif

tumblr_inline_mi1743mPJB1qz4rgp.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You realise this site is free, right?

It's not perfect, but considering it's free it gives a lot.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I think the trick is to put the whole food in plural, like instead of "potato" type in "potatoes." I typed in "banana" today and found about 20 foods containing bananas, but not the actual fruit. Then I typed in "bananas" and it finally showed up.
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating. I save a lot of my recipes but even then I don't always follow them exactly so I have to change things a lot. I've just kind of gotten over it. I'm quite quick at logging all my food now.