Alternative for chocolate.. Ideas please!

Options

Replies

• stacksue
    stacksue Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Add cocoa powder to oatmeal. The good old fashioned kind, not quick cooking. Make it with some lowfat milk(or full fat grass fed organic milk) and sweeten with a bit of raw honey or a ripe banana. It's soo yummy, and pretty healthy. Plus you're eating chocolate for breakfast.
  • Bereyff
    Bereyff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I purchase a bag of Lily's dark chocolate premium baking chips that is sweetened with stevia and I love it. 60 chips is only 55 calories and sometimes I take a serving of the chips and mix it with Justin's all natural almond butter to have a sweet tooth craving filled aka peanut butter cup but honestly way better tasting and better for you. I have also heard you can make your own chocolate by using coconut oil and cocoa powder yet I have not attempted to make it. I am sure you can find some recipes online to do so.
  • mjohnson1twenty
    mjohnson1twenty Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've eaten carob before and it's not terribly bad for a substitute. still not chocolate but could do in a pinch. good luck with your search...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    If I want to have chocolate, I make myself walk to the grocery store to get it.

I agree that good quality is satisfying and low quality is not.

My Grocery Outlet (about 1.5 miles, round trip) sells Ritter Sport bars for 99 cents. I really like the whole hazelnuts covered in dark chocolate. It's something like 2.3 oz--a reasonable serving, but enough to be satisfying. Plus that gives me a bunch of extra FitBit steps! :)
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I too am a chocoholic, and believe just about everything is better with chocolate (well maybe not peas, but I hate peas.....) I find that I can't keep much chocolate around the house because my willpower is zilch when the cocoa craving calls.
    My current aids to prevent me from a chocolate deprivation crime spree are:
    -Chocolate (soy based) protein shake, often with added sugar free choco syrup. Made with ice in my blender, with or without mint extract, it's like a 'real' chocolate shake.
    -Harney and Sons Chocolate Mint, Flavored Black Tea. Seriously one of my best discoveries. Zero calories (although I do add artificial sweetener), in an oversized mug and I usually sit down and just enjoy it.
    -Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownie - 90 calories. Also their chocolate cereal (80 calories for 3/4 cup - I'll pour it in a bowl and eat it as a snack)
    -Echoing the vote for fudgesicles.
    -And when I really really want it - I buy a regular sized candy bar (about once a month) and try to make it last as long as possible. The better quality candy bar the better for me. And of course, log it (sigh).

Enjoy!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    my name is Zoe, and I am a chocoholic. I am fat. I have started my MFP last week. It has helped me control of my calories. However, chocolate is something I binge on. I am emotional eater. To control this I want to stop eating chocolate.
    Do people have an alternative that they snack on if you have a sweet tooth?
    Thanks.

There is no substitute. If you want to lose weight, you either have to learn to moderate or not eat it at all. I suggest moderation because chocolate is the what make most people smile. If I can learn to moderate chocolate, anyone can. :)
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I drink a small hot chocolate (made w hot water) its only 65 calories and I get my fix....for as long as I sip on it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered almonds!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I also am a serious chocolate addict. When I first started in January, I cut out sweets completely for a couple of weeks just until I felt like I had some good control over my food intake. Now I have my bag of dove darks in the cupboard and a bag of ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips. Either one will work on the sweet tooth and I save a few calories a day for the indulgence! (50-100)
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sugar free almond milk w chocolate extract and sweetner of your choice. Almond milk w Walden Farms 0 calorie syrup. Or maybe ricotta or cottage cheese mixed w powdered cocoa or chocolate extract w sweetener of your choice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like milky way minis if I'm low on calories... but honestly... gimme some godiva or lindt and I'm in heaven.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've taken to swapping out the bars for protein shakes. <3
  • Les_B_FitNotFat
    Les_B_FitNotFat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Curley whirleys. For the length of time they take to eat they are well worth the calories (118) as a treat. I am a binge eater too where choc is concerned. Build one into your allowance if need be. In my experience if I deny myself for any length of time I will eventually binge and eat 3 times as many. Hope that helps :smile:
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but there is no substitute for chocolate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    First, a calorie "bomb" that is also "all-natural".
    chocolate-banana-caramel-cake05.jpg
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846418252/

It is as good as it looks. I won't make it again. Can't afford the calorie hit.

When I eat chocolate, I make sure it is the good stuff. And I take my time savoring it. Perhaps if you buy very, very expensive chocolate it will slow you down some.

The freezer also helps.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love Costco's Nut Exactly Almond Blueberry snack bites, dipped in dark chocolate. Five pieces is only 130 calories. I save my calories to eat them almost every night, although lately, three have been enough, which puts it at 78 calories.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    switch to very dark chocolate, like 85%, I eat lindt and it doesn't give you the cravings that the other filled chocolates have. AND it is VERY healthy
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I try to fill up on as much protein as I can handle when sweets/salty/chocolate pangs hit. When that doesn't work, I'll do something different. Like, clean toilets. When that doesn't work, I'll mow the lawn. When that doesn't work, I'll have a piece. But not the whole bar/bag/box/tub all at once. And if the bar/bag/box/tub is too much for me to withhold, I'll share with the neighbor kids/dump it in trash/bring to work/etc.