Canadians that have a food scale?

Options
Where did you get it? I never paid much attention to serving size before, but that is how I got here in the first place! I'm going crazy trying to convert the measurements to log them. I think a $30 food scale would be worth the money. Just looking for recommendations on one and where you bought yours. Thanks!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I got one at walmart. Starfrit brand (what I bought) is available in a lot of places. Canadian Tire would likely also have it.

I paid about $30 CDN, and it was worth every penny.

ETA - mine is digital
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    I got one at walmart. Starfrit brand (what I bought) is available in a lot of places. Canadian Tire would likely also have it.

I've seen them at Canadian Tire. I have one now, but I want to get a digital one eventually
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Bed,Bath and Beyond. But lots of places sell them. Walmart, or anywhere that sells kitchen gadgets. The price can vary greatly. You can get a good one for around $30. The more expensive ones just seem to have gimmicky features. My scale can do grams or ounces
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Mine was from Costco on sale, $12.97. Canadian tire aaaalways has them on sale. I live in a very *ahem* green loving :smokin: area so they always have them on sale.

**Edited just to say that it totally is worth it.. you can "guesstimate" yourself right out of a poo-load of extra food that you could be having. 20g of shredded cheese is actually a fair amount more than I was previously guessing so it's nice to know that you get to eat more :)
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I got mine off of kijiji for 5 bucks :smile:

But walmart has a couple different ones you can check on their website
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have the digital starfrit one from zellers (now Target). $12.99
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I've seen them at Canadian Tire. I have one now, but I want to get a digital one eventually

The digital ones do make it easier - I'm glad that I got one early on.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do plan on getting a digital one that does grams and ounces. I don't really need any other features. I've never seen them at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire, but I've also never looked. I'm sure they must be there! Just wasn't sure if any brand was better than any other one, but I guess they are fairly simple. :)

I'll check it out tomorrow after work. Here, Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire are conveniently located right next to each other. It's a small town so no Costco unfortunately. I miss Costco!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Mine was a gift it looks like the old school ones with the dish on top and it's not digital but it is still accurate. :)
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think I bought mine @ Superstore (Loblaw's) - for about $20 bucks or so. It is flat, digital, with a pretty bamboo surface. I love it. I think it cost me about $20.

:flowerforyou:
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many brands are good but I have a Starfrit that I bought about three years ago from Canadian Tire. I absolutely love it. I bought it for about $12.00 when it was on sale. Regular price used to be $29.99 but now the regular selling price is $19.99 so not a bad price even when not on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/GadgetsAccessories/Gadgets/PRD~0424076P/Starfrit+5-kg.+Digital+Kitchen+Scale.jsp?locale=en
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I got mine at zellers
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The first one I bought was from Homesense. It's digital, made by a European company I can't remember, looked like a giant measuring cup which detached from the base for cleaning etc, measured grams, ounces/pounds and fluid ounces and cost $12.99. The newer one is a Starfrit Cat Cora digital scale from Walmart, cost $9.99, has all the features of my other scale but the best part is that it is just a flat scale made of glass so I find it much easier to weigh foods right in the serving bowl/container.

I weigh most everything now instead of using a measuring cup (except for liquids) and I will always portion control my food this way. It's very quick and easy and better for the waistline!! :))
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you have an XS Cargo near by? It is a canadian liquidation sore. I got mine there for $8 and it has been going strong for almost 3 years now. It is silver with a glass platform.