How to cut down on carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I try to only have grains as a treat on the weekend- some sushi or the like. My carbs during the week are made up of fruit (even bananas), vegetables, and dairy. The reason I stay away from grains during the week is because I tend to over-do, and also don't find them as satisfying long-term as proteins w/veg... However, when going super low-carb, my head has been known to spin (think "Exorcist") - not pleasant.

And that salmon w/spinach & tzatziki sounds amazing- must try! Salmon rocks!
  • jenakle
    jenakle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've taught myself what a serving of pasta is, and realized its WAY smaller than what I was eating on my own. I help it out by filling the empty bowl void with more veggies: mandoline + zucchini = noodles, or steamed broccoli slaw, or sauteed onion peppers etc.

For sandwiches, smaller bread, even the rounds make a nice PB for breakfast.
    I stopped adding a bread as a side, or rarely eat potatoes instead of several times a week, etc. Try to vary your grains: whole grain couscous or brown rice pilaf (half a cup is still a nice serving), and the salad instead of sandwich is nice too (steak, taco, ham, turkey, chicken all turn into a great salad).
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I actually started experimenting with a lower carb woe last week (aiming for around 100 grams a day). My diary is open if you want to take a look. Several days I went totally grain free and then I've just reintroduced limited grains back in.

Two things I've noticed-the low carb foods I've been eating have been ridiculously filling and because of this I've been hitting below my calorie goal ever since trying the experiment. I'm not hungry, at all. 6 days in and I've lost 7lbs. Mostly water weight from the reduced carbs, but I'm actually in maintenance so it really needs to stop now or I'm going to have to ditch the experiment :*

2nd thing I've noticed from reducing carbs (and maybe the grains)- crazy oily skin. Like I'm glowing. Yeah, not too excited about that one :s

Otherwise pretty much same old same old. It's been fun eating foods that I normally don't chose (like veggies hehe). It hasn't been difficult to go lower carb at all really.

eta: don't pay attention to my diary for today if you do take a look-unexpectedly ended up in urgent care earlier tonight and my planned dinner of chicken, veggies and fruit went out the window sigh... that really messed my numbers up, but it is what it is.