Tracking something wrong, I ate daily for 6 months now.

Okay, so back in October of 2014 after I had reached my goal of weight of 155. I started at 235. I just wanted to maintain so I was able to raise my calories. Still wanting to eat better than before I thought I had found the perfect snack with these smart pop popcorn. I pretty much became obsessed with them yada yada. I dont want to bore you but for the last past 5-6 I've been eating these like crazy 3-4 times a day and I was tracking them at about 50-60 calories less per serving so pretty much I was eating 150 maybe 200 extra calories extra each day. The worst part is I'm mad at all the other food I've been missing out on because I became so obsessed with this popcorn.
I'm very active so my weight has not really been affected I still weigh in about 160 at heaviest and 155 after a hard run. I do at times feel bloated and I hate all the extra carbs I've probably consumed over the last 6 months. Safe to say I will no longer eat these. I just cut them cold turkey and will replace with better snacks.
Sorry, I just needed to rant.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Glad you found out!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    You don't have to completely cut something you like but variety is a good thing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I think something similar has happened to a lot of us. This whole weight loss / getting healthy thing is a lot of trial and error as we are all different. What are you going to eat in place of the popcorn? Personally, when I gave up carb-loaded snacks (crackers, flavored rice cakes, popcorn, etc.) I felt MUCH better. Those are heavy, empty calories (for me) so giving them up was worth it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    eh I have been eating cadbury chocolate for almost 2 years...but only once a day....and I don't sacrifice anything else for it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hang on I don't get it

You've been eating something and underestimating it but not put on any weight ..and you're cross

What am I missing?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,137 Member
    edited April 2015
    If you were crowding out other things that you would have preferred to eat: glad you found out!

Glad to hear too that your maintenance level seems to be about 200cals higher than you thought: I bet you that will open up a whole range of extra snack options!

In any case, if you still enjoy them you could probably still continue eating some from time to time? Or if you're tired of them: nothing wrong with setting them aside for now!

But, I feel your frustration! I also get pissed off when manufacturers lie on their packages by stating a number of calories that is way less than what the macros add up to! Or state that their portion is 1/3 of a cup or 20grams (or whatever), and when you weigh it out you find out that it is really 1/4 of a cup or less!

BTW: good job on getting to where you wanted to be!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hang on I don't get it

You've been eating something and underestimating it but not put on any weight ..and you're cross

What am I missing?

Right? OP, eat your popcorns--or whatever you want. You've just discovered what lots of us already know. MFP's maintenance goals are just estimates, and some us need more to maintain than it suggests. Set your goal to 200 calories more, and if you want to eat your treat, do so. Just log it accurately. Enjoy!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    ljjuarez wrote: »
    Okay, so back in October of 2014 after I had reached my goal of weight of 155. I started at 235. I just wanted to maintain so I was able to raise my calories. Still wanting to eat better than before I thought I had found the perfect snack with these smart pop popcorn. I pretty much became obsessed with them yada yada. I dont want to bore you but for the last past 5-6 I've been eating these like crazy 3-4 times a day and I was tracking them at about 50-60 calories less per serving so pretty much I was eating 150 maybe 200 extra calories extra each day. The worst part is I'm mad at all the other food I've been missing out on because I became so obsessed with this popcorn.
    I'm very active so my weight has not really been affected I still weigh in about 160 at heaviest and 155 after a hard run. I do at times feel bloated and I hate all the extra carbs I've probably consumed over the last 6 months. Safe to say I will no longer eat these. I just cut them cold turkey and will replace with better snacks.
    Sorry, I just needed to rant.

So you're trying to lose again?