Peanut butter

Options
is store brought peanut butter okay to have? Example, just a spoonful now and then? Thanks.

Replies

• melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yup. Just log it.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yes, weigh it on a food scale and fit it into your calories.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Any food is okay to have, unless you have an allergy or something.

Weigh it if you can, or flatten your spoonful if you must (to get 1 tbl), and log it. Don't eat like a heaping spoonful and assume that's 1 tbl, it could be like 3-4.
  • vigs98
    vigs98 Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There is a powder peanut butter 2 TBS to 1TBS of water. They sell it walmart.... OMG just like real peanut butter[/center]
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    YES IT IS! mmmmm PB
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    After underestimating my PB intake I now only use a TB measuring spoo to keep me accurate. It's a pain but worth it to my end game.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is fine to have in your diet unless you're like me and eat entire jars at a time! :p
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would say try to find one that doesn't have added sugar though if possible. Almost all store bought peanut butters do but I've seen a couple that don't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ntinkham88 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is fine to have in your diet unless you're like me and eat entire jars at a time! :p

Yes indeedy!

I used to have my jar sitting right there on the counter top. I lost count of how many times i had a spoon full on the way through the kitchen...

Now it's sitting in the back of my fridge, which has 2 purposes... It's out of my sight and it's rock hard which makes it harder to get a huge spoon in to it :laugh:

In answer to your question, if Peanut Butter fits in your calories there is absolutely NO reason i can think of not to have it :smile:

• sharlaaisha
    sharlaaisha Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, I weigh my PB which adds up to one or 2 tablespoons. I don't go over. I was slightly curious as they have a health food version of PB and store brought, wanted to know if there was a huge difference. I guess if I have just a spoonful it won't hurt either way. Thanks again folks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the health food store one has less, or no sugar and salt added?? Still the same amount of calories i would think.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get my "peanuts and salt only" peanut butter at trader joe's for $2.50. no added sugar or oils. you have to keep it in the fridge, and eat it fast once you use it, but... it keeps me happy. :) I go through about one jar a week.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    After underestimating my PB intake I now only use a TB measuring spoo to keep me accurate. It's a pain but worth it to my end game.
    I read some great advice here in the forums a couple days ago.

Weigh the jar before you take out your peanut butter and then weigh it afterward. That will tell you how many grams of peanut butter you removed. That way, you can just get it out of the jar with a knife and still know exactly how much you got.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do this for most things, put the jar on the scales and scoop out weight required.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I read some great advice here in the forums a couple days ago.

Weigh the jar before you take out your peanut butter and then weigh it afterward. That will tell you how many grams of peanut butter you removed. That way, you can just get it out of the jar with a knife and still know exactly how much you got.

Just leave the jar on the scale. Tare it to 0, then take how many grams you need.... Then you can lick the knife or spoon and not go over your cals
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    vigs98 wrote: »
    There is a powder peanut butter 2 TBS to 1TBS of water. They sell it walmart.... OMG just like real peanut butter[/center]
    Is it really just like real peanut butter?
    chatnel wrote: »
    I do this for most things, put the jar on the scales and scoop out weight required.
    What a great idea!!
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're asking for permission. :)
    PB is delicious - i have it all the time, but I fit it in my macros, so .. in the words of many wise people.... 'if it fits it fits..!'
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    also, as delicious as PB2 is, it'll never compare with the real thing.
    Just make sure you get one that's 100% peanuts ..
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    Sounds like you're asking for permission. :)
    Yeah, that's kind of how I took it too and I was here thinking "we're not the food police, eat whatever You want as long as it fits into your macros" :smile:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    You will find a ton of PB lovers on these boards.

IMO, the natural ones aren't worth the effort of having to stir them every time and I've yet to find one that doesn't taste chalky. PB2 is good for smoothies but if I want to eat it straight, nothing beats good old Kraft right out of the jar.