New to strength training - advise appreciated

Options
Hi - I began my journey to a healthier lifestyle and a better body in late January of this year. At the time weighed in a 276lbs (I'm 5 foot 7). I have lost 35 lbs so far and I feel great and I am really enjoying the changes in my body so far. About 6 weeks ago I started walking and about 3 weeks ago I started strength training (after reading through the posts on MFP). I am new to this whole strength training thing so I only use the weight machines right now. I am doing a full body routine 3 times per week. I am kinda nervous about doing too much and hurting myself so I have been taking it slow. I do notice that even after 3 weeks I have been able to up the weights. My question is this - should my muscles hurt after a workout. Mine don't so I am wondering if maybe I am not doing enough. It feels good after I leave the gym but I have never hurt or been stiff the next day like I expect. Should I be pushing myself a little harder? Does it need to hurt to know it's working? I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I just want to do this right. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting in to resistance training! You are doing enough if by the end of your set you are struggling to do the last rep or two. If you feel you have more in the tank, put the weight up for the next set.

DOMS is not an indicator of whether you've worked hard or not. I don't feel DOMS no matter how hard I try, no matter what style of training I do....
  • cstorey1976
    cstorey1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting in to resistance training! You are doing enough if by the end of your set you are struggling to do the last rep or two. If you feel you have more in the tank, put the weight up for the next set.

DOMS is not an indicator of whether you've worked hard or not. I don't feel DOMS no matter how hard I try, no matter what style of training I do....

Thank you!! At least I know I am doing it right. I do put the weights so that the last few reps are a struggle. Can I ask what DOMS stands for? I'm new!
  • Andytri38
    Andytri38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DOMS is Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. Some people like to judge how hard they have perceived themselves to have worked by how much stiffness and soreness they experience afterwards.
    At the end of the day you know in yor heart of hearts how hard you have worked, i have had DOMS from doing 4 sets of light weight squats with correct form give me more soreness than squating with over three times the weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It does not need to hurt, you need to know you are making an effort. Let's say you are supposed to do 4 sets of 10 reps. If you feel you could have easily done 20 or 40 reps instead of 10 per set, or could have added another 4 sets, then you should be adding more weight. If you feel you are really putting some effort in this, not necesserily to exhaustion but getting a bit difficult, then you are fine.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    To get stronger, you need progressive resistance. This can be accomplished in one of three ways: 1) heavier weights, 2) more reps with the same weight, and/or 3) increasing the amount of time under tension (slower reps). If you're lifting heavier weights over time, you're getting stronger (that is assuming completing the full set of reps with good form was difficult).

When you're lifting weights, you're tearing muscle fibers. Do that intensely enough and it causes DOMS. You may not be at that intensity level yet, but that doesn't mean you're not doing enough. Just gradually increase the weights and challenge yourself to get in your reps with good form. On another note, some folks just have different pain thresholds and recovery rates and don't suffer from DOMS as much. They get just as impressive gains by doing progressive resistance training.

I would encourage you to start trying some free weights. They have many advantages over machines.

Congratulations on your new lifestyle! Patience, persistence and progression.