I'm logging food right but consistently missing my protein goal

Options
Can anyone give me some low calorie high protein food ideas that are way and are not outrageous in price?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake in the morning and sometimes at night. Outrageous in price is subjective.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, yogurt, tofu, beans
  • jonpat21
    jonpat21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do an instant breakfast in the morning but I believe it's only 12 grams of protein. Any suggestions on shakes?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    tofu

No. Just no.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is awesome. One can is about 50 calories and 20g protein. And I can usually get them on sale for 60 cents.
  • jonpat21
    Options
    Okay good deal keep it coming! I can swing tuna
  • jonpat21
    Options
    Lean meats, yogurt, tofu, beans

I eat a yogurt at lunch everyday at work 10 grams of protein. What kind of beans?
  • bepaz10
    bepaz10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, whole eggs, low-fat cheese sticks, Greek yogurt
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    tofu

No. Just no.

Tofu is low calorie, high protein, and budget friendly. Some people may not care for it. But that doesn't make it fit OP's request any less.

And honestly, it's about the same as egg whites in terms of flavor.
  • bepaz10
    bepaz10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The 7oz container of Fage 2% plain yogurt has 20 g of protein.
  • kathw212
    kathw212 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. 80 cals and 13 grams of protein per oz.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    String cheese, various yogurts, protein bars/shakes, all meats, fish, eggs, beans... The list is endless. I always go over my protein goal by a LOT if I dont pay attention to it lol
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cans of tuna and eggs. I really don't think anything beats these two when it comes to protein and price.

Oh, yeah. Chicken--depending on how you're buying it-- is a pretty good deal when it comes to protein and price as well.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I agree with beans in terms of cheap and low cal for the amount of protein, also a good amount of fiber which is always good and filling. We eat all kinds here, lentil or/and bean soups, chili, taco salad, stir fry. We've found we can almost add them to anything. I cook a whole lot of them ahead of time in my crock pot and freeze them so they're ready to go whenever (usually a 6 bean mix but also white navy's and black beans on their own for pesto soup and stuffed peppers).

As a treat if I have quite a few extra calories left over I make "pancakes" using a mix of egg whites, cottage cheese, oats, sweetener and cinnamon. I was skeptical at first but OMG it is awesome and for just half of the batch its 44g of protein.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna canned in spring water, lean meat.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jonpat21 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some low calorie high protein food ideas that are way and are not outrageous in price?
    Stir fry in the morning with a veggies and a frozen seafood blend (Trader Joe's seafood mix 1 serving has 24g protein).
    Lean and Healthy Pea Protein Powder http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/olympian-labs-pea-protein-vanilla-805-g-powder/ol-1039#.VS3Xb_nF9Ns
    has 20 servings, but I use only 1/2 scoop at a time because the taste is good that way, and has 12.5g in half a scoop. So that's a low-carb low-fat protein that tastes really good (blend with some kale, vanilla, stevia and ice).
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I make an egg salad that I really like.

Equal parts (by weight) boiled egg and small curd cottage cheese then I add dijon mustard and horseradish. Sometimes curry or smoked paprika as well.

A 100 gram serving is 138 calories and 13g protein.

That's with the full fat cottage cheese.