Stretch marks??

Options
Hi - I'm relatively new here (been lurking for about a month). I have lost 35lbs since Jan. 21 and I am feeling great. I started at 274lbs (I'm 5 foot 7). I love noticing all the stuff about my body as it changes shape but the one that really has me baffled is the stretch marks. 35lbs ago I had hardly any noticeable stretch marks and now that I am shrinking I notice them on my belly and up my sides. They aren't purple or anything, just white I guess but I find it weird that they are appearing now. Anybody else notice this?

Replies

• Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't say I did. I got mine from rapid weight gain. I don't know why you would get them from loosing weight. Perhaps you always had them but now that your skin isnt being stretched as much they are becoming more visible? That's my logic. :)
  • cstorey1976
    cstorey1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't say I did. I got mine from rapid weight gain. I don't know why you would get them from loosing weight. Perhaps you always had them but now that your skin isnt being stretched as much they are becoming more visible? That's my logic. :)

That was my thinking too - maybe my stretch marks were stretched out by the fat. If they appear cause I'm losing the fat that was stretching them out, I'm ok with that.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    35 pounds since Jan 21st? Wow, that's like 3 pounds a week. Way to go!

Don't be surprised if the rate of loss slows down as you settle into this; 2 lbs/week is considered the maximum that's healthy over the long run, and once you have less to lose, you'll probably slow to more like 1lb/week or less. That's okay. It's normal. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Keep reporting those changes in your body as they happen! It's fun to see all that unexpected stuff.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    If they're white then they're older, as skin slackens they will be more visible. Some self tanner will help ;)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The stretch marks aren't just appearing.... They've been there before you started your weight loss journey. They're just more visable now because your skin isn't overstretched from your past rapid weight gain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    White means they are old. You just had never noticed them before.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm covered in white ones. From weight gain, weight loss, weight gain and so on. Pregnancy made a lovely road map of my stomach but I see each one as a road on my journey of battling my food addiction. Currently I'm winning. So it's all good.

Keep up the amazing work honey and learn to love your journey roads ;)
  • cstorey1976
    cstorey1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    35 pounds since Jan 21st? Wow, that's like 3 pounds a week. Way to go!

Don't be surprised if the rate of loss slows down as you settle into this; 2 lbs/week is considered the maximum that's healthy over the long run, and once you have less to lose, you'll probably slow to more like 1lb/week or less. That's okay. It's normal. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Keep reporting those changes in your body as they happen! It's fun to see all that unexpected stuff.

Ya, I know it's a lot in a short period of time but to be honest the first week I dropped 11 pounds just by cutting out the Coke, sugar and watching my carb intake. The first 25 pounds came off pretty easily, the last 10 I've had to fight for. It's ok, I'm definitely up for the challenge. Thanks!!
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I'm covered in white ones. From weight gain, weight loss, weight gain and so on. Pregnancy made a lovely road map of my stomach but I see each one as a road on my journey of battling my food addiction. Currently I'm winning. So it's all good.

Keep up the amazing work honey and learn to love your journey roads ;)

I'm not annoyed or embarrassed by them, just shocked that they suddenly appeared. I'm pretty sure more then a few of them are from my two pregnancies and I wouldn't change them for anything. They are my tiger stripes. ROAR!!! Lol