veggies... how to not hate them

So I am a very picky eater. I only like corn and green dreams... sweet and out of the can, not even fresh all. What are some recipes you guys use to make your veggies flavorful.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Cut, drizzle or spray some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until golden and tender
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Cut, drizzle or spray some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until golden and tender

This. And then usually sprinkle with some shredded parmesan.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    hncary wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »

This. And then usually sprinkle with some shredded parmesan.

Parmesan can make any vegetable better.

Roasting is definitely my go to. I always keep a big bag of frozen veggies around too (none with sauces) so that I can pop some in the microwave at will. If you buy a mix, plenty have corn or peas so you can have a little bit of everything.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Roasting makes everything delicious....especially Brussels sprouts!

Try different cooking and serving methods - overcooked and bland is definitely not the way to go! Try raw, shredded, lightly steamed, pureed, grilled or BBQ, cooked in sauces etc, with spices and herbs (and fat if you can fit it in)

• usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, zucchini, pumpkin - chop up, put in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive or coconut oil, season with salt and some rosemary and pop them in the oven till they are soft on the inside and crispy on the out !

Cabbage (red and white) - i slice up and boil, drain, some butter and salt and pepper, deeelish !

Brussel sprouts - some butter in a pan, cut up the sprouts, sautee, sometimes i add in some mushroom and sometimes some bacon too

Carrots - chop and boil, drain, drizzle over some honey and then sprinkle some sesame seeds

Just make sure you measure and log everything you add, but theres so many ways to make great tasting veggies! i love veggies anyway lol
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    I'm so lazy with cooking so I steam my veggies in the microwave and put hot sauce and lemon juice on when they come out.
    I'm finding I prefer less and less sauce and lemon juice on them as time goes on.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    I cook them in broth. This can make them a bit salty if you use too much.
    A few days ago I made my own stock (got lamb bones for free from the butcher, boiled for almost two days, added carrot, onion, celery, herbs and spices). This proved to be brilliant, because I can then add salt at the end of cooking. I used this to sauté some kale, which tasted out of this world.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    One thing I've learned is my mom ruined some veggies for me as a kid and my husband's mom ruined a heck of a lot for him-- because they were cooked in a way that wasn't nice. E.g. asparagus- I hated it until I had it lightly steamed with a little butter on it instead of boiled until it was a soggy mess.

Experiment with different ways of cooking veggies as well as adding things to them, and don't just assume -ugh I hate all mushrooms or all x no matter what. Also, just because it's available doesn't mean its good- if you're going to try something new, try it in season. That way you're getting the absolute freshest, nicest available to try out.

Another thing you can look for is The Sneaky Chef. I got her cookbook out of an op shop but you can also find them at libraries. She uses puree and adds it into things which has been really good for some of my family who can't stand certain textures and because of that don't really eat any veg.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    All wonderful ideas, but I'm surprised no one's suggested ways to "hide" vegetables. Slowly introducing vegetables is a great way to start developing a taste for them. If you like smoothies, put a big handful of spinach in there - it might turn the finished product a funky color, but you won't even taste or smell it. If you are lucky enough to have a high-power blender use kale instead for a nutritional boost.
    Pureeing, as livinglean mentioned, is a great way to disguise. Adding pureed carrots to mac n cheese casserole will be undetectable, and adding the same to homemade tomato sauce will impart sweetness that goes well with the acidity. Pureed soups are wonderful; potato soup (with or without cheddar, bacon, or pureed broccoli) gets a nutritional boost when you add a couple of leeks in there.
    Hopefully after doing this for a while you can graduate to little minced up bits of veggies (like broccoli in your mac n cheese, or spinach in your tomato sauce), and finally build up the courage to try the others' delicious ideas.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    I usually just blanch my veggies (I even blanch a bunch at night and take them to work in my lunch the next day). Just throw them in boiling water for two minutes, drain, and toss them in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. I think vegetables taste so much better blanched than raw.

But really, my veggies are just a vehicle for hot sauce. I keep a bottle of Frank's at my desk and cover my veggies in it before I eat them.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    If you don't like vegetables, why eat 'em?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    For 2 people:
    8oz of Broccoli, Cauliflower, or Squash in a big ziploc bag.
    1 TBSP of olive oil
    1tsp kosher salt
    1tsp black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, diced

Put all in bag, shake it, toss the ingredient onto a foil covered cookie sheet. Throw into a 375 oven for 20 minutes. Eat. They are delightful and about 100 calories/4oz serving.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Cook them in a sauce: coconut milk based curry sauce, tomato based Moroccan sauce, pesto - whatever you fancy.

You can also try some sweeter variety veg, like pumpkin, roasted carrots, beetroot, red cabbage with apples.