Does anyone know if/how this works?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
There is this woman at the gym, who follows a weight lifting routine I have never seen before. Basically she does about 3-4 different exercises per big muscle group, but one set each, and I would say something like 8-12 reps per set. It is a routine I have never seen before. It is not a circuit, she does everything just once. I would dismiss it as her not knowing what she is doing, but, this lady can lift. Not only it is clear she is expereinced, but she lifts shockingly heavy, especially since she is really petite.
Any ideas how this works? I know I can ask her, but I know I hate conversation when I am into something and she seems really focused. Tried googling it, but had no luck, I am either using the wrong key words, or it is something she made up.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    That's how i usually lift. But i don't know if it's appropriate for your goals, since you didn't give us that info. Exercises are like tools - they all work.. but no tool works for all tasks.

• LKArgh
    Options
    I have no intention of modifying what I am currently doing, I am just curious.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not versed in strength training, but I read around how to minimize the amount of training I do and still get results that cater to my goals. One of the articles I came across is this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/set_training_system_evolution.htm
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Newbies generally do better with multiple sets of an exercise, to practice form.

And so do those who want to excel at a particular exercise.. like a powerlifter who wants to maximize their bench press, for example.

Single-set routines are great for general fitness, because of the diversity of the routine.

They're also good for those who like a lot of variety.

For fat loss, it makes little difference.

• LKArgh
    Options
    I'm not versed in strength training, but I read around how to minimize the amount of training I do and still get results that cater to my goals. One of the articles I came across is this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/set_training_system_evolution.htm

This was a most interesting read, thank you :)
  • LKArgh
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Newbies generally do better with multiple sets of an exercise, to practice form.

And so do those who want to excel at a particular exercise.. like a powerlifter who wants to maximize their bench press, for example.

Single-set routines are great for general fitness, because of the diversity of the routine.

They're also good for those who like a lot of variety.

For fat loss, it makes little difference.

This is interesting, as I am neither interested in losing weight nor am I really interested in accomplishing any particular goal in weight lifting, while general fitness is a life-long reason for exercising for me. Maybe when I get bored with my current weight training program, I could give a single set routine a try. I can see how it definetely will have the benefit of keeping things interesting.