Training Around A Hernia Injury

Options
Hello,

I have been told I have a inguinal hernia but was told I can still train but just keep my lifting light..... as depressing as it is that I can't lift heavy I'm happy I can still train until my operation.
Has anyone got any experience of having a hernia & advise/routines for keeping strength without causing further damage!!!
I mainly lift, deadlifts, squats, bench & freeweights but have good cardio/endurance so open minded to any suggestions! (Most of all I don't want to lose muscle & currently cutting)!

Replies

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've had two surgeries to fix the same hernia. For both I was told no activity for 6-8 weeks, and absolutely no lifting - I wasn't even allowed to lift my 24 lb toddler.

When I did start back training after the 8 weeks, i had to start out slow, and gradually increase my weights to build strength again.

All I can say is follow your doctors advice. If he/she says no heavy lifting, then please listen. You don't want the hernia to come back and have to do a 2nd surgery to try and fix it again.

(it can come back btw, mine has re-occurred, meaning i'll need a 3rd surgery, but i'm going to postpone it for as long as i can, as i'm only now getting back on my feet workout/training wise.