Filling & Healthy Afternoon Snacks

Options
Jenninscotland
Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'd be interested to read ideas about filling and healthy afternoon snacks. One of my favorites is popcorn - but am needing some inspiration for others. Looking for snacks 150 calories and under :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger lunch so I don't need to snack. I feel better eating less times!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Apple and peanut butter
    Cheese and crackers (maybe laughing cow or baby bell)
    Veggies and hummus
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to recommend a bigger lunch. IMHO, snacking is a habit that keeps you focused on food too often during the day. We should eat to live, not live to eat.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I added 100 calories to my lunch and cut out my afternoon snack - also moved my lunch to 2:30-3ish
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Apple and peanut butter
    Cheese and crackers (maybe laughing cow or baby bell)
    Veggies and hummus
    Cheese and peanut butter are very calorie dense, looks like OP is wanting to keep the calories low so those aren't good snacking options. Veggies and hummus is fine.

That being said, avoiding snacking was key to my weight loss a few years ago. If I was hungry between meals I'd allow myself as much water or tea as I wanted :)
  • Chazsteers
    Chazsteers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Total Zero Greek Yoghurt with different toppings ... today I had Goji berries on top.... very filling.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Fruit. I go to Costco and buy big bags of apples and pears and boxes of plums and nectarines.

I eat about 3 pieces of fruit a day as snacks.

I like it because it's self-contained and requires no prep work to eat.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Quest Bar - 180 calories, 20g protein, 13g fiber
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    tuna with avocado and cottage cheese is my fav with a side of peanut butter
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered strained yogurt. Mmmmm
    But my go to is just good old fashioned fruit.
    Apple
    Banana
    Orange
  • pauladimango
    pauladimango Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A banana w a tsp of almond butter.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I do better with 3 smaller meals and healthful snacks in between. For me, it keeps my blood sugar at an even level and I don't really enjoy that "full" feeling anymore that comes from bigger meals.

I also like apple and peanut butter. Half a small apple and 1 tsp of peanut butter isn't that calorie dense and is under 100 calories. (OP said filling and healthy snacks under 150 calories.)

Veggies and hummus (peppers, cucumbers, snap peas and the good ole carrots and celery)
    Boiled egg
    1/2 cup 1% Cottage cheese with grapes or tomatoes
    Corn thins with thin sliced deli meat (Hormel naturals) or light cheese (Sargento has swiss and provolone only 40 cals per slice)

All of these are easily under 150 calories!
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with a piece of fruit!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I generally eat a Quest bar in the afternoon at work. Protein and fiber. Both of which I need.
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your great ideas.

If my meals are too big, it makes me sleepy/tired in the afternoon or at night I don't sleep well, so I'd rather have a smaller lunch and a snack in the afternoon (the exception being breakfast as I prefer a big breakfast and no snacking before lunch). Also by the time I get home and manage to cook dinner, it's usually 7 pm (which is 6.5 hours after I've had lunch) which is way too long.

I saw almond butter in Costco today - is it good? I love peanut butter so I imagine it's similar?

I'll have to check out the Quest bar - never had one.

Yum on the apples, PB, humous (I can't be trusted with Humous however unless it's already portioned out), tuna, veggies, yogurt and fruit (thanks so much again - all great ideas).
  • 56fabulous2015
    56fabulous2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I increased my protein intake with each meal two weeks ago, and find that the mid-afternoon slump has disappeared. I still like a light snack around 3 and find fruit with yogurt, or Laughing Cow cheese portions tie me over to supper.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fruits .. mango kiwi bananas ..is what I ate this week..
    Tuna with a slice of wheat bread...i mix mine with a tsp..of miracle whip and cucumber. .
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Jerkey. I have trouble hitting my protein goals.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt and sliced apple for dipping is nice.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym most days right after work and need a snack in the afternoon since dinner is later for me on those days. I usually eat a Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Almond Bar. It has 160 calories and 3g of protein. It keeps me satisfied until I can get home for dinner.