bouldering tomorrow and nervous! anyone tried this?

Options
Sooo... In a fit of spring madness I booked a bouldering induction at our local climbing center in a hunt for something fun to do this summer.

Not too sure what I've got myself into! Anyoe done this before and have any advice?How hard is bouldering?. Would yoga pants and running trainers be okay to wear?
Any tips so I don't make a total fool of myself? Not to sure what to expect... just looked really fun online! Now it's booked I'm freaking out I'm not going to be able to do it/look silly. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey! Not an expert, but I have done this before (and at a very low level of fitness!)

I'd say wear tight, stretchy clothing if possible (yoga pants are fine, just don't want them getting in the way when you're looking for a foothold). And cut your nails if you have longer nails.

I would look for an area in the gym with lots of mat coverage under the wall, and get yourself lots of chalk to sprinkle on your hands to improve your grip. Get a helmet! And then don't worry about falling, and just have fun!

The gyms I've gone to have had paths marked out with coloured tape (yellow for beginner, black for hard, etc.) to help guide you on a climb that's workable for your fitness level. Maybe ask the staff whether there's something like this.

Have a great time!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I climb and boulder with my girls. It's as hard as you make it. It is a little scary at first but just watch and learn. Google a few videos on form. Remember that you climb with your legs, not your arms.
    Start small, warm up. Wear light, loose pants, my girls use yoga pants or leggings or stoprip pants.
    The best experience will be if you sign up up for a class or go with a more experienced person.

If you can, use rental shoes, not shoes you wear outdoors. No one wants to put their hands where your shoes have been. Or have clean shoes.

Here we are shopping for new material.

o1g43ypjxkco.jpg
  • ashleymariesav
    ashleymariesav Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I use to do bouldering competitions a while back and also tought it to some of my personal training clients. They all LOVED IT!
    Yoga pants are best, You need proper climbing shoes. The tighter the better. They should kinda hurt your toes in the beggining. Don't wear socks with your shoes. the shoes should feel like a second skin. *Climb slowly! Plan your route before you climb it! ;) Goodluck!
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't even thought about my nails (and I have talons!) I'll soak those off as soon as I get home tonight.

Hoping the induction will have many many mats! I'm sure I'll spend most of it falling off, looking at the photos of the center it looks like the mats are pretty thin! Hope they are softer to fall on than they look! As Spiderman I am not!
    Hey! Not an expert, but I have done this before (and at a very low level of fitness!)

I'd say wear tight, stretchy clothing if possible (yoga pants are fine, just don't want them getting in the way when you're looking for a foothold). And cut your nails if you have longer nails.

I would look for an area in the gym with lots of mat coverage under the wall, and get yourself lots of chalk to sprinkle on your hands to improve your grip. Get a helmet! And then don't worry about falling, and just have fun!

The gyms I've gone to have had paths marked out with coloured tape (yellow for beginner, black for hard, etc.) to help guide you on a climb that's workable for your fitness level. Maybe ask the staff whether there's something like this.

Have a great time!

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    No helmet needed on indoor climbing. Nothing is falling on your head. And if you fall on a helmet, well, you are REALLY doing it wrong.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Isn't bouldering done out side on boulders ? LoL. Climbing gyms are cool but that isn't bouldering.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Hi!
    I use to do bouldering competitions a while back and also tought it to some of my personal training clients. They all LOVED IT!
    Yoga pants are best, You need proper climbing shoes. The tighter the better. They should kinda hurt your toes in the beggining. Don't wear socks with your shoes. the shoes should feel like a second skin. *Climb slowly! Plan your route before you climb it! ;) Goodluck!

No. Too tight shoes are bad. Shoes should be snug and fit but not hurt for a novice. There is no need for ultra tight shoes at the start as one is getting comfortable with the sport. One can actually evolve to tighter fitting shoes. Keep nails clean and close cut.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Isn't bouldering done out side on boulders ? LoL. Climbing gyms are cool but that isn't bouldering.

Because everyone has access to this outside, right?

LOL
  • kickassbarbie
    Options

No helmets in the videos online except the roped climbing. I'm pretty sure that if someone is going to fall on their head it will be me I'm so accident prone! Lol.

Im not 100% sure about the difference between bouldering and climbing? Seems they have seperate inductions for roped climbing and bouldering though. It would be great outside but I think I'd like to learn indoors with instructors and big mats! Looks fun though some serious spiderman - like hanging off the ceilings and stuff in the videos on their website. Something I'd like to be able to do out doors one day in the distant future. Very distant future....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

Nope, you have indoor bouldering gyms. Climbing is done both outside and inside and indoors bouldering is a legit sport and effort. Don't confuse a rope climbing gym with a bouldering gym or area.

Taking a novice outside without the basics learned on an indoor surface or a good mentor is asking generally for trouble. I started bouldering outside, but not everyone has easy access to good outdoor sites.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

No helmets in the videos online except the roped climbing. I'm pretty sure that if someone is going to fall on their head it will be me I'm so accident prone! Lol.

Im not 100% sure about the difference between bouldering and climbing? Seems they have seperate inductions for roped climbing and bouldering though. It would be great outside but I think I'd like to learn indoors with instructors and big mats! Looks fun though some serious spiderman - like hanging off the ceilings and stuff in the videos on their website. Something I'd like to be able to do out doors one day in the distant future. Very distant future....

No beginner would ever fall on their head, you'll see. Gravity says butt, ankle, back as worst choices. Maybe. Climbing helmets are intended to keep things that fall from hurting you, not to protect you from a fall. Not. Used. Indoors.

The difference is that bouldering us done at a lower height and without ropes. It's more about finesse and learning grip technique. Climbing (for a novice) has a rope and the objective is to go up, finesse is important but a little less so.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Here are two vids to watch ... Maybe not the best intro but my daughter was talking about these yesterday to another beginner:

http://youtu.be/XbaIqeLDn24

http://youtu.be/Usee0F_Ya98

Have fun
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's fun but something you have to work on to get used to. At first you'll want to hug the wall and use your arms to pull you up and maneuver you. This will make your forearms ache all day. Instead you need to do all the work with your legs. Keep your arms long and just grip the wall enough with your fingertips so you don't fall off. Once you get used to that form, you will last much longer on the wall. Have fun!
  • kickassbarbie
    Options
    I hope I will! I'll remember legs not arms as I have work straight after and I don't fancy hanging from a bar with sore forearms.

oh I'm getting excited looking at videos!
  • stmariepearl
    stmariepearl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a bouldering gym a few times a week. It is so much fun ( for me at least!). Boulder routes won't go over ten feet high, some can even be horizontal. So you don't need a helmet or ropes, makes it super simple and accessible. I look at the routes like puzzles that require strength. I found it was addicting once I started, and only stopped because the closest gym to me now is hours away. Don't get discouraged if it's really challenging at first, you'll be amazed at the progress you make if you keep going and trying the same moves. All of a sudden you'll be doing things that seemed impossible.

Just Have fun! And don't worry about shoes for your first time (often gyms rent out climbing shoes if you want to try them right away) but definitely take care of those nails :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    We watch the bouldering competitions every spring at our Riverrock Festival in Richmond - LOVE it - would love to get into it. Amazing athletes! Have fun!!
  • camground2
    camground2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All the above advice is good! I am a climbing instructor and coach a competitive team. Remember to use your legs!
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go twice a week to a local gym and Boulder and top rope. Lots of fun. Yoga pants are fine. Anything comfortable. Like most exercises you need to build up strength over time. Also don't let your fears get in the way.
  • kickassbarbie
    Options
    That was incredibly fun! Thank you so much for your replies they really boosted my confidence!

If anyone else is thinking about this just go for it! Never done anything quite like this before but I bought a pass and will go back at the weekend to try alone without a instructor to shout "center of gravity!" And "think!" at me. Lol. I just need to remember to think about what I'm doing and where I'm going! Not as intimidating as I thought the people would be either! Weirdly social atmosphere and lots of different levels for beginners to advanced!