Just Joined, fed up of the flab and needing friends

Options
Hi everyone, I have just joined today, I am 5'6 and weighing 196 pounds I need to shift a good 2 stone or maybe more. I have been overweight for years now and have recently gained an extra 14 pounds due to medication which has left me feeling really fed up. I have been doing an hours just dance every day for the past week and have managed to lose 3 pounds but it is food control I really have problems with. I am not sure how this all works so any advice would be much appreciated. if there is any other begginers or experienced users please add me as a friend. All tips, advice most welcome and I would love to share my experiences and dieting do's and don'ts as I go along.:smile::heart:

Replies

• kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It has really helped me on this lifestyle change to be accountable to myself and others. I am glad to share what has worked for me but everyone's journey is different. The biggest help to me so far was a book by Bob Harper (Biggest Loser trainer) called "Are you ready?". He includes some writing exercises that changed my thought process about food. I highly recommend reading it.

The other big thing was becoming active. I started at 402.6 lbs and could barely walk from one room to another in my house. The only exercise I could do was chair excercises (they teach people these exercises that are in rest homes). After two weeks of this, changing my portion sizes and adding vegetables to my diet for at least two meals a day I lost 10 lbs. I am sure this isn't typical for everyone but it was the jump start I needed to continue making this change permanent in my life.

I have only been at this for 132 days but in that time I have lost 73.8 lbs. I haven't always eaten clean but I measure and record everything that goes in my mouth. I read labels and I know what a serving size is now. I try to have half of my plate in vegetables most days (not perfect yet). I am trying to learn not to use food as a way to soothe my feelings, happy or sad. Once I learned that food is fuel for the body not a way to stuff my feelings something clicked in my brain that helped me to make a change.

More amazing than the weight loss to me (eventhough it is really cool) is that I am taking back my life. I exercise between 4 and 5 days a week. I was able to walk my first 5k on March 23, 2013. I have since completed a one mile race and two additional 5K's with the plans to do 3 more before the end of the year. I no longer see my future as me sitting in a wheelchair in a rest home. I see myself becoming healthy, running a marahton and climbing mountains. Anything is possible if you change your way of thinking.

Two quotes that have helped me are "You can have results or excuses but you can't have both" and "Your legs are not giving out, your head is giving up. Keep Going!" Are bodies are amazing but we have to take care of them. Take back your life Rizbeth. Make a choice today that no matter what happens, you're not giving up on your self and your life. MFP is a great tool for advice, motivation and support but no one else can be active for you. No one else can make your food choices for you but you! Best luck on your journey. I am glad to encourage and support you in anyway that I can. Kara
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP feel free to add me.
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started about your weight, although I'm a bit taller, but have lost over 50lbs. I am always looking for new friends- feel free to add me!