Why are we in such a hurry

13»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited April 2015
    jmule24 wrote: »
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    to maintain large muscle mass requires a large caloric intake... see Dwayne Johnson... see Robert Downy Jr. 5 K calorie diets to keep it up once they get it up... work and sweat... make sure your diet is balanced and adequate to the task.. does anything else really matter? OR is the OP just here to attempt to compare his brain pan... there's a game for that.. it's called "Chess"...

Oh boy.......

You do realize Dwayne Johnson isn't natural, right??????

WHAT?!?! :laugh:

I now feel like I did when someone told me the ship sank at the end of Titanic...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    to maintain large muscle mass requires a large caloric intake... see Dwayne Johnson... see Robert Downy Jr. 5 K calorie diets to keep it up once they get it up... work and sweat... make sure your diet is balanced and adequate to the task.. does anything else really matter? OR is the OP just here to attempt to compare his brain pan... there's a game for that.. it's called "Chess"...

peds having NOTHING to do with it.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    This content has been removed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    OP: I am honestly confused as to where you are coming from. You ask a question as if you want to know the answer and yet do not take in what anyone is saying. Why ask?

- bulking is not necessarily a 'go fast and furious' thing - a slow bulk takes a lot of effort to do - sometimes more than recomping
    - building muscle takes a lot of time - and even more time when recomping - what is wrong with taking a faster route, especially when to some degree you are battling against time (test levels drop the older you get for example)
    - bulking is not necessarily for vanity - there are many reasons
    - it's fine if it is though
    - you seem to imply recomping is more efficient - it is not necessarily.

What was the question again?

And you comment "people are told to hurry up and eat a bunch of donuts (while hitting their macros and calorie goal of course)." No they are not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    OP: I am honestly confused as to where you are coming from. You ask a question as if you want to know the answer and yet do not take in what anyone is saying. Why ask?

- bulking is not necessarily a 'go fast and furious' thing - a slow bulk takes a lot of effort to do - sometimes more than recomping
    - building muscle takes a lot of time - and even more time when recomping - what is wrong with taking a faster route, especially when to some degree you are battling against time (test levels drop the older you get for example)

"people are told to hurry up and eat a bunch of donuts (while hitting their macros and calorie goal of course)." No they are not.

Can I get yo numba girl?

Can I have it?

Can I get it?
  • Sarauk2sf

"people are told to hurry up and eat a bunch of donuts (while hitting their macros and calorie goal of course)." No they are not.

Can I get yo numba girl?

Can I have it?

Can I get it?

For you....anything

...just send noodz in return....
  • LolBroScience

Can I get yo numba girl?

Can I have it?

Can I get it?

For you....anything

...just send noodz in return....

but of course
  • Sarauk2sf
    To address some of your later comments
    wonder why the typically advised strategy is the one that works the fastest.

Bulking and cutting fast have very different negative sides. However, I have seen far more people go on about cutting fast than bulking fast.

Also...you kind of answered your own question - if it works the fastest, why not (operative word being works here)
    A bulk typically implies there will need to be a cut at the end of it.

Not sure what your point is.
    Where is the line between a "slow bulk" and a recomp? Aren't we really just talking about the same thing?

Largely - just that in one you gain muscle quicker with a little extra fat. Not sure what the point of this question is.
    Assuming that we are all healthy and all understand nutrition, mass gaining is really about two things: 1) the innate feeling of accomplishment we all get from seeing the results of hard work, and 2) vanity. It's feels good to look good.

Not necessarily, but I am still not sure of the point here.
    That being said, I just personally prescribe to a slower program that keeps me looking the way I want to look 365 days a year without having to worry about cycles, timing, stuffing food down at the end of the day, and not fitting in clothes.

Why do you think you need to worry about them on a lean bulk (other than possibly the clothes not fitting and that's really your issue - others may not have the same concerns)?

I find it ironic that you bring up vanity, but you are the one not wanting to gain a bit of extra fat or have their clothes not fit.

• Sarauk2sf
    shmoony wrote: »
    I don't expect everyone to be able to look that deeply in the mirror. We're not on a psychology forum here or a post graduate Freudian master class. Keep convincing yourself of whatever you need to keep you going because if you don't, what you see might scare you. We have religion so we can tell our kids that grandma is somewhere wonderful looking down on us, we have aliens and ghosts so we don't feel so alone in the universe, we have Santa and the Easter bunny so we have an excuse to buy stuff, drink beer and eat candy, and we have this forum so we can all feel better about spending so much frickin time worried about the way we look.

What are you even talking about?

No clue. Anyone else have clue?

• Unknown
    edited April 2015
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Does anyone else ever get the feeling during these discussions that they're arguing with a 5 year old? Anyway. In closing because I think it's time:

1) I simply wanted to throw out the very slow bulk as an option to newbies that may suffer from FFBS and want to maintain a lean appearance year round while growing slowly over the course of years. It has worked for me. Never said it was "better".

2) there's no problem with vanity. Never said there was. In fact, made several points defending it. Not excessive vanity. Just pride in one's appearance.

3) often times, the best education comes from poking a bear. Granted, questioning a bulk on the fitness pal gaining weight forum is the equivelivent of yelling "God is dead" in a crowded church.

Any responses, past, present, or future, that are contradictory to anything other than what has been clearly stated above are a figment of your own defensive nature and an instinct to argue anythIng not in your paradigm.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Does anyone else ever get the feeling during these discussions that they're arguing with a 5 year old? Anyway. In closing because I think it's time:

1) I simply wanted to throw out the very slow bulk as an option to newbies that may suffer from FFBS and want to maintain a lean appearance year round while growing slowly over the course of years. It has worked for me. Never said it was "better".

2) there's no problem with vanity. Never said there was. In fact, made several points defending it. Not excessive vanity. Just pride in one's appearance.

3) often times, the best education comes from poking a bear. Granted, questioning a bulk on the fitness pal gaining weight forum is the equivelivent of yelling "God is dead" in a crowded church.

Any responses, past, present, or future, that are contradictory to anything other than what has been clearly stated above are a figment of your own defensive nature and an instinct to argue anythIng not in your paradigm.

to point one, who is advocating a fast bulk? Everyone in this thread has repeatedly stated that a bulk should be completed over a four to six month timeframe.

the only five year old is you OP, because you keep making ridiculous arguments that make no sense..

• This content has been removed.
  • shmoony
    To the last two posters. Please reread above post. Actually think for a minute before responding. Then proceed.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

to point one, who is advocating a fast bulk?
    Not necessarily in this thread, but I know in some cases you've recommended a 1 pound per week bulk for at least 6 months. From most other recommendations, I would consider that on the fast side.
  • shmoony
    Now now skeeter
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
  • LolBroScience
    edited April 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

to point one, who is advocating a fast bulk?
    Not necessarily in this thread, but I know in some cases you've recommended a 1 pound per week bulk for at least 6 months. From most other recommendations, I would consider that on the fast side.

You are under weight. I think those comments were directed towards you.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    I think recomping is a great plan. Nothing at all wrong with recomping. Nothing at all wrong with deciding that bulk-cut cycles don’t make sense. And similarly, nothing at all wrong with instead adopting a bulk-cut cyclical approach either. Once again, individual circumstances will determine what might make the most sense.

OP, I said earlier in the thread that you might want to check in on your assumptions. Nearly all your posts come across as if you’re grounded in certain inalienable truths that others just haven’t seen or recognized. For example:
    I am trying to look a little deeper into things . . .
    Assuming that we are all healthy and all understand nutrition . . .
    . . . what other reason would someone have . . .
    I'm pretty sure we can all agree . . .
    . . . but the primary motivation still stems from . . .
    I don't expect everyone to be able to look that deeply in the mirror.
    . . . what you see might scare you . . .
    Does anyone else ever get the feeling during these discussions that they're arguing with a 5 year old?
    Any responses, past, present, or future, that are contradictory to anything other than what has been clearly stated above are a figment of your own defensive nature and an instinct to argue anything not in your paradigm.

I think the assumptions inherent in your posts overwhelm the substantive arguments I believe you’re trying to make in this thread. And the substantive arguments and conclusions that your posts imply or state seem to flow almost entirely from the assumptions. Your arguments / posts just unfortunately come across as those from someone blessing the forum with your wisdom, as frustratingly unacknowledged as it might be.

I’m just not convinced that there’s an epidemic of “hurry up” in an unhelpful way in terms of the advice given in the Gaining Weight forum, or that the advice is generally contrary to an otherwise “make a lifestyle change, not a short term change” approach that might be found in other the other forums where the general reader tends to be in a very different place in terms of weight management (IMHO).