24 hour fasts almost everyday. Bad idea?

Options
I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative effects?

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind being tired earlier than usual I can't think of any reason why this would be a problem.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why are you doing this? If you get tired earlier, doesn't that tell you that your body needs more calories throughout the day? Doesn't that tiredness interfere with doing other things you enjoy or working out?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If this works for you BUT you're tired early: perhaps save 200-300 calories for an evening snack of some sort?
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If this works for you BUT you're tired early: perhaps save 200-300 calories for an evening snack of some sort?

Good suggestion.

OP - mathematically, it shouldn't matter how and/or when you consume your calories, but StaciMarie's tweak might just be what you need.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're more tired then usual eating like this, it's probably not great for you. What if you ate some of those calories (maybe 300 or so) in the afternoon? That might be just enough to carry you through into the evening.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing is called the "Warrior Diet" and is fairly popular, only that people who do this usually eat all their calories late in the day/night. Is there a reason you can only eat all your allotted calories in the morning?
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mathematically, it works, but if you're feeling tired, your body is telling you something, and I've learned that we need to listen to our bodies. For me, I've found that a lack of fuel results in:

1- a general unwell feeling
    2- grumpiness
    3- decreased productivity at work
    4- less quality play time with my son
    5- half-a**ed workouts or skipping them altogether
    6- a totally non-existent libido

I've got lots of experience in the "fatigue from not eating right" department (recovering from E.D.).

Do what works, as long as "what works" refers to wellness as a whole, not just #s on a scale. :smile:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »

Good suggestion.

OP - mathematically, it shouldn't matter how and/or when you consume your calories, but StaciMarie's tweak might just be what you need.
    This definitely

Also, this post made me want to go get my morning snack
    FJLDJF hungry
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it is basically a form of intermittent fasting…however, IF usually recommends a 4 to 8 hour eating window where you consume your calories….

if it works for you go for it..plenty of people are successful doing IF…

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Mathematically, it works, but if you're feeling tired, your body is telling you something, and I've learned that we need to listen to our bodies. For me, I've found that a lack of fuel results in:

1- a general unwell feeling
    2- grumpiness
    3- decreased productivity at work
    4- less quality play time with my son
    5- half-a**ed workouts or skipping them altogether
    6- a totally non-existent libido

I've got lots of experience in the "fatigue from not eating right" department (recovering from E.D.).

Do what works, as long as "what works" refers to wellness as a whole, not just #s on a scale. :smile:

Super solid advice right there.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Why?

Because intermittent fasting gives your body breaks from having to digest food and time to "repair" itself. Apparently, it can be very healthy and some people very successfully follow this life style.

I restrict fasting periods to two max three days a week. You quite automatically consume less calories. It helps me to maintain my goal weight.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an eating disorder or at least the beginnings of one to me.

The OP is 19 yo, has lost 2 pounds, and has zero pounds to lose.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Why?

Because intermittent fasting gives your body breaks from having to digest food and time to "repair" itself. Apparently, it can be very healthy and some people very successfully follow this life style.

I restrict fasting periods to two max three days a week. You quite automatically consume less calories. It helps me to maintain my goal weight.

That's junk science...there are not medical or scientific findings to support the need for this (to my knowledge anyways...correct me if I am wrong.)

OP...try to save a 200 to 300 calories to eat a snack in the later afternoon. Have a banana and some veggies and a small side of protein...it will help boost your energy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am so busy all day so I eat most of my calories (1700) right before bed. I have had no bad side effects except lack of energy during the day. I think it is better to space it out a little more especially because when you eat so much at once it's hard to tell when your full and if you are still hungry when your trying to maintain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it is basically a form of intermittent fasting…however, IF usually recommends a 4 to 8 hour eating window where you consume your calories….

if it works for you go for it..plenty of people are successful doing IF…

pretty much what I was thinking...
  • TravJustice
    TravJustice Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is a terrible idea, and you need to stop doing this ASAP. Here's why:

When you eat, your body produces insulin. Insulin (basically) metabolizes carbs and fats, and regulates blood sugar. When you eat infrequently, or eat too many carbs/empty calories, or not enough saturated fats, you create a huge insulin spike. This results in fat storage and crappy nutrient absorption. It will also cause you to crash later on.

When you eat balanced (lean protein, **sat fats**, and low-glycemic carbs) and throughout the day, you maintain a nice balanced insulin level. This will keep your metabolism revving, keeping you energized, burning fat, and happy.

On top of that - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and lowest at night. Therefor you should taper your carb intake so that you have more early on (when you're more active) and then less as the day goes on.

Carbs = insulin respose
    Carbs+Protein = BIG insulin response

BUT

Add sat fats (olive oil, avocados, almonds) into the mix and it will significantly lower the insulin response. Always have fats with every meal.

People get so caught up in the numbers game with this app that they forget that there is far more going on biologically that affects your weight loss/gain results. Fasting once in awhile can definitely help you lose some quick fat, but fasting frequently is an unhealthy lifestyle. Your body needs a steady stream of nutrients, period.
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

" Because intermittent fasting gives your body breaks from having to digest food and time to "repair" itself. Apparently, it can be very healthy and some people very successfully follow this life style." -SKME

This is what it is. Not junk science from what I have read about it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

When you eat, your body produces insulin. Insulin (basically) metabolizes carbs and fats, and regulates blood sugar. When you eat infrequently, or eat too many carbs/empty calories, or not enough saturated fats, you create a huge insulin spike. This results in fat storage and crappy nutrient absorption. It will also cause you to crash later on.

When you eat balanced (lean protein, **sat fats**, and low-glycemic carbs) and throughout the day, you maintain a nice balanced insulin level. This will keep your metabolism revving, keeping you energized, burning fat, and happy.

On top of that - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and lowest at night. Therefor you should taper your carb intake so that you have more early on (when you're more active) and then less as the day goes on.

Carbs = insulin respose

BUT

Add sat fats (olive oil, avocados, almonds) into the mix and it will significantly lower the insulin response. Always have fats with every meal.

People get so caught up in the numbers game with this app that they forget that there is far more going on biologically that affects your weight loss/gain results. Fasting once in awhile can definitely help you lose some quick fat, but fasting frequently is an unhealthy lifestyle. Your body needs a steady stream of nutrients, period.

#deadwrong
  • lindasomers9
    lindasomers9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Carbs = insulin respose

BUT

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. You may loose weight from it, but in the long run it is not healthy for the very reasons stated here. I used to do things like this to loose weight and now that I am older I am paying dearly for it. It is very dangerous to spike your glucose levels and then let it drop every day. You body needs a steady stream of small healthy meals throughout the day to be healthy and loose weight.