Losing motivation

Options
i need help getting my mojo back. I've been going strong for months. I was excited to get up and get in a great workout everyday, tracking every single thing that went in my body, then about 2 weeks ago, I got sick, I'm still sick, it's not going away. I've lost motivation.. I still get up and work out, but I'm only doing 1/4 of my planned work outs, stopped tracking my food, and have been not making as healthy of choices as I was. I've actually lost weight, which surprises me with my food choices. But I know it's common for people to lose motivation, I need help snapping back into the grove. How do you guys deal with these low periods? I keep telling myself that once I've kicked this sickness that I'm going to make a strong comeback. Oh and on top of everything I'm in the middle of selling my house. Life is crazy busy, I'm full of lots of excuses. But I've come so far I don't want to stop, I won't stop, but I need my energy back, and my will to push myself and eat super healthy. Help!!!

Replies

• kmcampbell893
    kmcampbell893 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am having a low moment, I up my calories for a week or two and allow myself to enjoy that time. Sometimes you just need to. Then remember your goals, how far you have come and why you want to be there. It worked for me when I was getting stressed :) feel free to add me :)
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time is my best advice. so, say pick "working out on schedule" as your first choice. make that your priority for two to three weeks. Don't put too much brain power on all the other stuff. Don't necessarily go crazy eating ice cream every day, but don't fret over food too much either. Then, add in tracking your food. Hopefully the mojo of regular workouts will be a bit more "habit" again, so you'll have some more brain space to put towards tracking food, as well as quality of food you're having. And finally- remember the "long haul". this should be something you feel you can do for a lifetime. Don't be too restrictive if you can't ever keep it up for long. Find the fun in it again. I hope you feel better soon! and moving is utter hell. so give yourself some mental props for just getting through that!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! Only, I last a good 2 days and give up. Work is so stressfull and when I get home after crying all day I just want to give up anymore.

Monday comes around and I am all like, OK DO OVER! and the cycle starts again.

I have however started working out in the AM instead of after work to keep myself going. It's hard because I get up at 2:20AM, workout, then get to work. Sleep suffers because the earliest I can get to bed is 8pm because that is my son's bed time. It seems to be the only way I can make myself workout though. Get it done before the stresses of the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log just log

Get back in the habit and don't care what you're eating...concentrate on getting better

But log everything

This will pass
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you're still sick, then get well first. Physical exercise lowers your immunity (temporarily), but if you're forcing yourself to work out while sick, you won't recover. Once you're recovered, you'll probably feel much better along with more motivation to work out again.
    I love amusement parks, but I'd HATE going if I wasn't feeling well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Set a small non-weight related fitness goal that will take a few weeks to achieve, like breaking a personal record at the gym (to give you an idea, for me, it would be something like running at 6mph for five straight minutes), and then go balls out to get it done.

By the end of those couple of weeks, I bet you'll be back to where you were.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We all have lapses, you'll soon work out what helps to get you motivated again. For some it's a massive exercise session, others just doing something different - a new coffee shop, different recipe for dinner.

Where exercise is concerned, the hardest bit is always getting out the front door. There's always a reason to stay at home and I'm sure you can think of a ton right now but you'll feel better for it and sometimes it's just what you need when life gets crazy.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I went on vacation for a week and didn't log much or do anything and I'm still not doing it. Some days are better then others and everyday I start off saying today will be better.
  • saralynrice
    Options
    Wow, thank ALL of you for you motivational replies!! I really really appreciate all of you. Your all right. I'm just going to keep chugging along. Focus on getting better, and keep my goals in sight. All of your positive words really helped me, and are exactly what I needed to hear!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone, and I know that this period will pass!! I really can't thank you guys enough!!!
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Falenea wrote: »
    In the same boat! Only, I last a good 2 days and give up. Work is so stressfull and when I get home after crying all day I just want to give up anymore.

Monday comes around and I am all like, OK DO OVER! and the cycle starts again.

I have however started working out in the AM instead of after work to keep myself going. It's hard because I get up at 2:20AM, workout, then get to work. Sleep suffers because the earliest I can get to bed is 8pm because that is my son's bed time. It seems to be the only way I can make myself workout though. Get it done before the stresses of the day.

If you are so stressed at work that you are crying all day long, I think a lack of motivation is only a side effect to a much larger issue. A complete lifestyle overhaul sounds necessary, since it's not healthy to be that stressed and will lead to much more severe health issues.