Normal Irish girl going to a celeb wedding...help!!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to loose weight for a premier league footballers wedding in June. I'm overweight and my confidence is low without the pressure of all the beautiful skinny people milling around! I'm not so unrealistic as to think I can be a size 12 (currently a size 16) in 8 weeks, but I want to be more confident than I am now. I'm trying to figure this app out and how to track calories etc but would love motivational tips and advice! Thanks everyone, please add me ☺️

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's good that you're not setting unrealistic expectations. The most successful people are usually the ones who make a commitment to being healthier rather than the ones who set a deadline to lose a certain amount of weight.
    I would recommend you set your goal to be as healthy as possible - at the wedding and beyond.
    One of the best confidence boosters for me was tracking all my food and taking responsibility for everything I ate, as well as starting to get more exercise in. I really started to feel a lot more confident in myself before I even started seeing the scales moving!
  • ericaelainefields
    ericaelainefields Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck! If you want tips for the app you may have to be more specific with your questions, but as far as diet goes...

Not that I recommend a fast track diet, but for the last month I've been on a high protein (keeps me full) and high-fiber carbs regimen (except for cheats, pushing water, and working out 1:30-2 hours a day, half cardio, half strength training and I've seen visible results. May help you as well.

Several days before the event cut out all bloat foods like processed cheese, processed meats, salty snacks, carbonated drinks and gassy veg so you are as lean as can be. Also, like two days before you could spot train whatever shows most in your dress and give those muscles that extra tone.
  • Nadene75
    Nadene75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awh thank you! Yes, thankfully I have enough sense not to crash diet (well if I'm honest I haven't the willpower anyway lol) But health is way more important than size. I will take your words to heart and apply them. I haven't weighed myself in a very long time and refuse to go by the scales, so I'm tracking my inch loss instead. After all, my dress size doesn't depend on my weight! I'm tall and have a lot of heavy muscle mass, so the scales kill me :( I really appreciate you taking the time to post, thank you for that :) And I'm totally loving taking the accountability and control back with logging the calories! Makes you realise how much we really are eating!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Walking in there like you own the place and looking FAB and confident as a size 16 is gonna be way better than acting shy or awkward or self-conscious as a size 12 would. Just own your own size and get a great dress and dance like crazy. Think Adele, Queen Latifah or Melissa McCarthy at the Academy Awards: These ladies are hot s*it and they know it, and they're not gonna let a few curves stop them from owning that red carpet.

Don't stress about the plastic-surgeried airbrushed size 00 model types -- they're just angry all the time 'cause they haven't had any real food in a decade. Help yourself to real food at the wedding and make 'em all jealous.

Confidence is attitude, not dress size.
  • segacs
    Options
    Also, do you have Rent The Runway in Ireland? Or something similar?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Walking in there like you own the place and looking FAB and confident as a size 16 is gonna be way better than acting shy or awkward or self-conscious as a size 12 would. Just own your own size and get a great dress and dance like crazy. Think Adele, Queen Latifah or Melissa McCarthy at the Academy Awards: These ladies are hot s*it and they know it, and they're not gonna let a few curves stop them from owning that red carpet.

Don't stress about the plastic-surgeried airbrushed size 00 model types -- they're just angry all the time 'cause they haven't had any real food in a decade. Help yourself to real food at the wedding and make 'em all jealous.

THIS! Make dietary changes to be healthy and the appearance and / or size of your body will follow, but mainly remember all the things said in this post. Great advice!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    How fun for you! If you start now and start eating better and exercising more for those 8 weeks, you are going to feel fabulous no matter what. You'll look better in your dress too!
  • mollyyy125
    mollyyy125 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep focusing on your long term goals. If it were me, I'd probably also invest in a pair of spanxx for the event itself and maybe treat myself to getting hair and makeup professionally done just to feel extra fab!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

^^^ For The Win.

See also: Pink

(Did you see her bad-*kitten* response to the people criticizing her weight on Twitter? She is my celebrity hero.)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What a marvellous opportunity - have fun!

Tips wise - drink lots and lots of water. It will help your skin look clear, your eyes bright, and helps your digestion.
  • segacs
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    ^^^ For The Win.

See also: Pink

(Did you see her bad-*kitten* response to the people criticizing her weight on Twitter? She is my celebrity hero.)

Haha, I just posted this yesterday. She's awesome.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

definitely find a flattering dress. wear it. stare at yourself in the mirror and know how hot you are. then chin up, smile, and walk into the place like you own it. ;)

until then, eat a balanced diet to fit your needs (you could probably do the "lose 1" or maybe even "1.5" pounds a week settings), drink lots of water, and maybe take walks and pick up some heavy things (eat back maybe half of calories burned, MFP likes to overestimate).

you got this! get your hair did, and have a BLAST!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them myself but my friends wear Spanx under their dresses- the one that is like cycling shorts and comes up high over the waist. They give a smooth shape to show off your curves.
    As others have said, eat lots of fruit and veg, keep within your daily calories by logging on MFP and, most importantly, have a brilliant time at the wedding!!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Agree with others regarding confidence no matter the weight, but to your original question: I think your attitude of focusing on inches rather than pounds is a great one. A lot of people here get focused on the scale and miss what they may be losing with the tape measure. With that in mind, I'd say the app/counting calories is only half the battle. To really lose inches, you need the exercise, making sure you include the strength training. I would think a program like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred would be good and you can get a couple rounds through in 8 weeks and/or start a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or preferred progressive lifting program (others like New Rules of Lifting for Women).

Good luck and remember to have an awesome time, no matter what the results!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    The best thing I've found for improving confidence is exercise. Personally C25K and Tae Bo have been amazing. I've lost weight using both, but more importantly I can now do things with my body that I never thought possible- like run three miles straight or keep up with Billy Blanks for an entire workout. Can't get a much better confidence boost, in my opinion.
  • Nadene75
    Options
    WOW! I am completely overwhelmed by all your comments! You guys are amazing! And you know what, I am gonna take ALL your advice and walk in there and be me! All size 16 of me!!! I love Pink, and looked this up when you commented on that and she's totally on the mark! I am Nadene, I am a size 16 but it does not define me! I am so much more than that! #girlpower
  • segacs
    Options
    Nadene75 wrote: »
    WOW! I am completely overwhelmed by all your comments! You guys are amazing! And you know what, I am gonna take ALL your advice and walk in there and be me! All size 16 of me!!! I love Pink, and looked this up when you commented on that and she's totally on the mark! I am Nadene, I am a size 16 but it does not define me! I am so much more than that! #girlpower

So, so much this! You are fabulous.
  • Nadene75
    Options

You ROCK! Thank you for your posts, they got me all fired up and I should be going to bed lol I've never heard of The Runway, is it a movie? I will google and see if I can get it on Amazon or something.... Thank you x
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

+1
  • segacs
    Options
    Nadene75 wrote: »

You ROCK! Thank you for your posts, they got me all fired up and I should be going to bed lol I've never heard of The Runway, is it a movie? I will google and see if I can get it on Amazon or something.... Thank you x

Rent the Runway is an online designer gown rental service. For a fraction of the price of ownership, you can rent a dress from a top designer for a special event. They post photos of real women wearing the dresses so you can suss out which ones would look best on you, and they even send you two sizes so you have one as a backup in case it doesn't fit.

I've never used the service, but I'd be tempted to for an event like yours. After all, designer isn't exactly in my budget, but I'd just LOVE to walk into an event like that wearing something fabulous.