Normal overweight Irish girl going to a celeb wedding...

Options
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to loose weight for a premier league footballers wedding in June. I'm overweight and my confidence is low without the pressure of all the beautiful skinny people milling around! I'm not so unrealistic as to think I can be a size 12 (currently a size 16) in 8 weeks, but I want to be more confident than I am now. I'm trying to figure this app out and how to track calories etc but would love motivational tips and advice! Thanks everyone, please add me ☺️

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    You want quick appearence change....lift. Lift daily and lightly with high reps then about three days before the event lift heavy with low reps. Use the circuit training at a gym...get a months membership and have at it. The way you feel about the way you look will be as positive as it can be within a short period of time if you do this
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    You want quick appearence change....lift. Lift daily and lightly with high reps then about three days before the event lift heavy with low reps. Use the circuit training at a gym...get a months membership and have at it. The way you feel about the way you look will be as positive as it can be within a short period of time if you do this
    .... no

Calorie deficit for weight loss, but a huge loss within a month and a bit is way too aggressive.

Focus on long term healthy weight loss that can be maintained.

And lift heavy to retain muscle mass.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eight weeks is probably enough time to drop a dress size at least, and get you on the way in a healthy manner to whatever goal you set for yourself.

But I would say book an appointment to get your hair and makeup professionally done. Find a dress that fits you properly and makes you feel beautiful in it. Buy/beg/borrow some lovely jewelry and shoes. Stand up straight, put your chin out, try and just be confident in yourself, and you'll knock their socks off.
  • urloved33
    edited April 2015
    Options
    l
  • jkwolly
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You asked for a quick fix to feel and look your best at an event in June. I gave it to you...the last post simply ignored your request and said what he wanted you to do. choose.
    So someone asks you how to jump off the bridge, you give them advice on how to instead of telling them they probably shouldn't?

Point being, what she asked for isn't healthy and I tried to give her sound solid advice that I wish I had gotten years ago when I crash dieted.

ETA: SHE*, I am female.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    Eight weeks is probably enough time to drop a dress size at least, and get you on the way in a healthy manner to whatever goal you set for yourself.

But I would say book an appointment to get your hair and makeup professionally done. Find a dress that fits you properly and makes you feel beautiful in it. Buy/beg/borrow some lovely jewelry and shoes. Stand up straight, put your chin out, try and just be confident in yourself, and you'll knock their socks off.

This is what I was going to say. Sure, eat well and lean in the next eight weeks but please do it for you. A weight lifting group class may help with posture. Because I think owning your entrance will show you off at your best. You'll look different than many there, but beautiful in your own way. Perhaps even outstanding.

In weight lifting group class, you're reminded to stand straight with shoulders back to lift safely. That same posture will also help you rock your dress.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    JenSD6 wrote: »

This is what I was going to say. Sure, eat well and lean in the next eight weeks but please do it for you. A weight lifting group class may help with posture. Because I think owning your entrance will show you off at your best. You'll look different than many there, but beautiful in your own way. Perhaps even outstanding.

In weight lifting group class, you're reminded to stand straight with shoulders back to lift safely. That same posture will also help you rock your dress.
    Exactly this!

Nothing like a nice hair/make up session will do!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's two conversations going on. There's some rocking responses here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10137833/normal-irish-girl-going-to-a-celeb-wedding-help#latest

As well as a response from our lovely OP!
  • urloved33
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    You asked for a quick fix to feel and look your best at an event in June. I gave it to you...the last post simply ignored your request and said what he wanted you to do. choose.
    So someone asks you how to jump off the bridge, you give them advice on how to instead of telling them they probably shouldn't?

Point being, what she asked for isn't healthy and I tried to give her sound solid advice that I wish I had gotten years ago when I crash dieted.

lifting daily light weight high reps...is not a crash diet. i dont really care if you are a male or female.

At this point I would say please don't quote me or tend to my posts going forward. thank you.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

lifting daily light weight high reps...is not a crash diet. i dont really care if you are a male or female.

At this point I would say please don't quote me or tend to my posts going forward. thank you.

Lifting light weights high reps is not a crash diet, but it will also do nothing to help her in 8 weeks. And lifting heavy for one week is supposed to do what, exactly?

OP, continue eating at your deficit. Absolutely do as other posters have said and find a fab dress and get your hair and makeup done. Also, I've heard Spanx (sp?) are great for shaping. Have an amazing time!
  • jkwolly
    Options

Tend your posts? I quoted what you said before you edited it at 11:36am, so nice try.

And I said NO to your original posts since lifting doesn't = weight loss.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    This link will take you to a post with multiple links to good reads to aid you.

Especially important for a you as a new MFP user would be the Blog near the bottom about the Power Of Habits,

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31959554#Comment_31959554

and I must add this one by @vismal
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    For a crash diet, keep eating at a deficit, cut out dairy and high sodium as much as possible (basically stick to lean meats and veggies as much as you can stand) and then 3-4 days out you may want to take some water pills to get rid of the extra water weight right before the event. Not the healthiest or best plan for long term, but just suggestions on this one time. After the event, try to find a schedule/groove to make your diet and cardio sustainable for long term health. Hope this is helpful!