Compression

Options
2»

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    For recovery, and I am talking after a long hard race (Half Ironman, Full Marathon or Full Ironman) I find that sitting around in compression socks helps keep the leg swelling in check. If I sit around at work all day with my legs below me, without compression my feet and legs swell up like crazy. The socks help...

But for the real deal - I have a set of these that I use most evenings while watching TV:

Recovery-Pump.png

Heaven. Where can I get some?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    For recovery, and I am talking after a long hard race (Half Ironman, Full Marathon or Full Ironman) I find that sitting around in compression socks helps keep the leg swelling in check. If I sit around at work all day with my legs below me, without compression my feet and legs swell up like crazy. The socks help...

But for the real deal - I have a set of these that I use most evenings while watching TV:

Recovery-Pump.png

It was pretty easy since the name is visible in the picture.
    recoverypump.com/garments
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I was having some issues with calf cramps, which was related to over training. I bought some nice expensive compression sleeves and feel like they give me good support. I also had to completely dial back my training and worked on some nutritional things. I obviously made more than one change, so impossible to say the sleeves worked - but my legs are stronger than ever. Did a 13.1 mile Spartan Race up a ski slope 5 times two weekends ago....there was one hairy little spot with my calves but they didn't fully cramp the entire race. I've had them cramp over next to nothing. Definitely keeping the compression gear around. And as others stated...they are a PITA to get on and off, so I wouldn't be bothering if I didn't think they helped. I also only use them during high impact training (soccer, trail running, racing) I also make sure to leave them on post workout for awhile to help with recovery.

I know a large majority of OCR elites wear compression. No idea if it increases their performance, but I'd say you probably perform better knowing certain body parts are where they need to be in a race like that. It also ads a layer of protection to your skin. And is tight so you have no worries of snagging barb wire, tree branches, etc.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Recovery-Pump.png

It was pretty easy since the name is visible in the picture.
    recoverypump.com/garments

Yea that. But you need the whole system:

http://recoverypump.com/the-recoverypump-system

It really is heaven. I'll sit in my chair after a hard training day, beer on the table next to me. TV on (or a book) and just chill with these things on for 45-60 minutes. Cranked all the way to the max setting they can HURT at first while they squeeze the first fluids from your legs.

It's almost like having someone massage your legs in exactly the right way on demand without having to make appointments or anything like that :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to go digging for the studies but it has been shown that using compression during training sessions provides no more benefit than placebo effect. I can go find them later if anyone wants to see them though.

I trust you..

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    @glevinso Lately I've been wanting a massage everyday. The hefty price tag might be worth it. And I don't have to beg my SO everyday. :)