FDA Criteria for "Healthy"

Options
jddnw
jddnw Posts: 319 Member
I stumbled across an interesting article: FDA: Kind bars not so kind to your health
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fda-kind-bars-not-so-kind-to-your-health/article/2563046

Excerpts:
  • The Food and Drug Administration is tearing into several Kind fruit and nut bars, blasting the company's claims they are healthy...
  • none of the bars meet the federal definition for "healthy." Yes, there is actually a definition.
  • For a product to be labeled healthy, it has to have only one gram of saturated fat per 40 grams of a product's serving size. The Kind bars contain between 2.50-five grams of saturated fat per 40 grams.
  • Kind blamed the warning letter on nuts that have "nutritious fats that exceed the amount allowed under the FDA's standard," according to a blog post on the company's website. "This is similar to other foods that do not meet the standard for use of the term healthy, but are generally considered to be good for you like avocados, salmon and eggs."
  • companies can avoid calling their products healthy by using other terms that convey it is healthy, like "natural," "real" and "ancient." "These terms may make the product seem healthier but because there is no definition

So... low-low fat bars = healthy.

avocados, salmon, eggs, butter, and possibly kind bars = real, but Not healthy

Sigh. So many things wrong with this ....

Replies

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna be over here reading that article while I eat my KIND Healthy Grains Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt Granola Bar.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Man, I wonder what the government thinks of the bratwurst I had for lunch.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    say wha???
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yikes/ What's really wrong is we know there's nothing at all unhealthy about natural fats and they still don't correct all of the misinformation out there... the misinformation they were responsible for disseminating to the public in the first place.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Utterly ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yikes/ What's really wrong is we know there's nothing at all unhealthy about natural fats and they still don't correct all of the misinformation out there... the misinformation they were responsible for disseminating to the public in the first place.

How do we know?

My bias here is to agree with you, as I am skeptical about the arguments for saturated fat being unhealthy in general too--even apart with the problems with the Keys analysis it seems to be largely based on correlation arguments which are highly problematic. But plenty of reputable nutrition "experts" (like Walter Willett for one) continue to maintain that the evidence behind the saturated fat caution exists.

In that I keep meaning to dig into this more, what's your evidence for the claim that we all know that Willett et al. are wrong on this? I would like to read it, as part of this digging into it process.

Also how are you defining "natural" vs. "unnatural" fats--level of processing? Perhaps wrongly (I admit one shouldn't assume, but) I'm assuming that you are not pro vegetable oil or the like, but okay with olive oil as well as butter, etc.

Edit: none of this is related to the Kind bars, as I think the gov't action seems silly but also have no idea what's in the Kind bars.
  • karag413
    karag413 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I saw this story this morning. I'd never had a KIND bar until today, hated the idea that they were getting dinged for good fats. I tried the KIND strong bar, roasted jalapeño. OMG! A savory protein bar, and it was delish. That baby had 10 grams of protein. Good stuff.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really don't care if KIND bars are "healthy" according to the FDA because they are "tasty" according to me. Totally love the Caramel Almond Sea Salt. But I eat them like I would eat a candy bar, so I guess I am not looking for healthy. But I have really liked every one of the bars I have tried from them.
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

How do we know?

My bias here is to agree with you, as I am skeptical about the arguments for saturated fat being unhealthy in general too--even apart with the problems with the Keys analysis it seems to be largely based on correlation arguments which are highly problematic. But plenty of reputable nutrition "experts" (like Walter Willett for one) continue to maintain that the evidence behind the saturated fat caution exists.

In that I keep meaning to dig into this more, what's your evidence for the claim that we all know that Willett et al. are wrong on this? I would like to read it, as part of this digging into it process.

Also how are you defining "natural" vs. "unnatural" fats--level of processing? Perhaps wrongly (I admit one shouldn't assume, but) I'm assuming that you are not pro vegetable oil or the like, but okay with olive oil as well as butter, etc.

Edit: none of this is related to the Kind bars, as I think the gov't action seems silly but also have no idea what's in the Kind bars.
    The OP listed avocados, salmon, eggs, and butter... with the exception of perhaps butter isn't there a general scientific consensus that these natural fats are healthful?

But as for saturated fats and proof I can only go by the fact that even after all of this time there's no proof that they are actually harmful. Except for maybe those asinine Harvard nurse food questionnaires they've tortured to death. Which, actually, is probably a good place to look for the studies against saturated fats: Fats and Cholesterol.

Low carb sites are usually good sources for links to whatever is out there exonerating saturated fat though; here's one page from a LCHF site that probably lists the biggies but it might not be up to date, not sure.

ETA: And by natural fats I just mean fats that you can render or extract in your own kitchen. For the life of me I still don't know how we get corn oil... lol
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Welp I eat at least one a day & have never felt better. Haha. They have helped me lose 20+ lbs.
    Moderation just like everything else is KEY. ;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

German sausage contains the wurst kind of fat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

hyuk!

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Found the FDA requirements here: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064916.htm

about 2/3 of the way down the page. Codified in 21 CFR 101.65(d)(2).

OMG, That table makes me sad.

rby2I.png

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How do we know?

The OP listed avocados, salmon, eggs, and butter... with the exception of perhaps butter isn't there a general scientific consensus that these natural fats are healthful?

But as for saturated fats and proof I can only go by the fact that even after all of this time there's no proof that they are actually harmful. Except for maybe those asinine Harvard nurse food questionnaires they've tortured to death. Which, actually, is probably a good place to look for the studies against saturated fats: Fats and Cholesterol.

Low carb sites are usually good sources for links to whatever is out there exonerating saturated fat though; here's one page from a LCHF site that probably lists the biggies but it might not be up to date, not sure.

ETA: And by natural fats I just mean fats that you can render or extract in your own kitchen. For the life of me I still don't know how we get corn oil... lol

Oh good, the diet doctor quack, too bad none of those studies support your comment that there's nothing at all unhealthy about natural fats

Can you clarify why the nurses food questionnaires are "asinine", but the questionnaires used for the diet doctors studies he lists are fine?
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options

As a native of an area of Texas known best for Wurstfest, I laughed super hard at this. Even though I've heard variations of it over and over and over again..... that's why the classics are classics. :smile:
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna be over here reading that article while I eat my KIND Healthy Grains Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt Granola Bar.

What's the deal with Sea salt VS. Regular salt? Sodium chloride is sodium Chloride.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »

What's the deal with Sea salt VS. Regular salt? Sodium chloride is sodium Chloride.

Sea salt has a lot of other stuff in it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

How do we know?

Oh good, the diet doctor quack, too bad none of those studies support your comment that there's nothing at all unhealthy about natural fats

Can you clarify why the nurses food questionnaires are "asinine", but the questionnaires used for the diet doctors studies he lists are fine?

The problem with questionnaires is the problem with questionnaires. But the problem I have with the Harvard nurse study is I think the way they've been used has caused more harm then good. They seem to be considered so prestigious that recommendations -- that have no business being given on the back of some dubious correlations -- are made on the basis of those studies alone. Like the HRT disaster but people still insist on giving them more weight than they deserve, IMO.

I accept the studies the diet doctor lists because while correlation can never prove causation if a review of the research determines there's insufficient evidence -- after all of these years and people gagging to incriminate saturated fat -- I'm comfortable assuming it's not there.

If you think there's something noteworthy from any of the studies and reviews listed on these sites (or not listed) that point to natural fats actually being harmful I'm sure some would be interested in your opinion so feel free to share.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »

Most of the difference is in the shape, and it's desired purpose, which effects taste only when used as a finishing salt, otherwise there is no difference. I would never use table salt as a finishing seasoning. I use fleur de sel, maldons and celtic as finishing salts and use kosher for regular salting where it melts and blends in.