Any swimmers here?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I decided to start swimming after several people, including my physiotherapist, recommended it to recover from an injury. My first day will be on Friday, and I plan 2 times per week, perhaps 3 if I have time. The problem is, I really have no clue what to do at the pool. I can swim and love swimming, but I am self-taught and it is something I only do for fun, never as exercise. I am in good shape in general, but have no experience swimming for training purposes. I cannot afford a trainer, not even for a lesson or two, as trainers at this pool are only available at some really weird hours, when it is impossible for me to go to the pool.
So, I need some tips about what I should be doing. Maybe some links? I have been watching my kids swim the last 10 years or so, but watching and doing is not the same thing :)

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you are asking for. Specific workouts? Other than going on youtube to search for some technique videos I am not sure what help anyone can be other than being an actual swim trainer on deck with you.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I can manage the basic strokes, I really suck at butterfly though. What I am asking is, should I follow some kind of structured routine, or just do whatever feels right? Are there programs for beginners, e.g. intervals regarding effort, lenghts, use of kickboard or not etc, as there are programs e.g. for beginners in running, or lifting etc?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you can manage the basic competition strokes, even if not in great form, you are well ahead of most. What is your goal? Just for overall fitness? There are plenty of programs out there for all kinds of goals - google is your friend here.

Just a quick search got me this:

Swim Workouts
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming 20 yrs now. How long do you plan to be in the pool? Usually I break the time up to do different styles. You actually just start because it's repetitive (like walking) and your movements slowly get better. To make swimming more efficient, lessons are the best. In our pool there are group lessons which will cost you less than private ones. So, you can do it on your own--watching others, and just doing it or get some help, which will speed things up. Whatever, good luck. B)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you can manage the basic competition strokes, even if not in great form, you are well ahead of most. What is your goal? Just for overall fitness? There are plenty of programs out there for all kinds of goals - google is your friend here.

Swim Workouts

In general I exercise for fitness, have no specific goals at this point, I am confortable with how I look, or how "fit" I am. My main cardio exercise (and absolute favourite) has been running for years now, but I had to take a break the last months and am only slowly easing my way back to running. I do not expect to be able to really run for long or 3-4 times per week as a I used to for several more months, so I will be using swimming as part of my cardio routine. And since it is not something I have done before for exercise, I am feeling a bit lost.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Swim Workouts

In general I exercise for fitness, have no specific goals at this point, I am confortable with how I look, or how "fit" I am. My main cardio exercise (and absolute favourite) has been running for years now, but I had to take a break the last months and am only slowly easing my way back to running. I do not expect to be able to really run for long or 3-4 times per week as a I used to for several more months, so I will be using swimming as part of my cardio routine. And since it is not something I have done before for exercise, I am feeling a bit lost.

This was me exactly last summer. I decided to use swimming for exercise, but like you, was pretty much self taught (save for enough lessons to get me back to a boat if I fell out...). Here's what I found: swimming is hard. It is a totally different workout than anything else you can do. I too, was quite fit, but time your breaths around being facedown in water, and it's a game-changer. Head to the pool to see how it feels. I swim freestyle only. It's all I know, and frankly, once I discovered how inefficiently I was swimming and how technical it is, I decided to just work on that. I have found goswim.com to be really helpful for specific technique work. Speedo.com has some good videos too. If you go and find out that you're well fit and have good technique, then you're in a great spot. There are loads of swim workouts out there, it's just a matter of what your goal while you're in the water is.

There's a great community of swimmers here too. Search for us in the groups. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure how to do it. You can get lots of ideas and advice from some very seasoned swimmers.

Good luck! And welcome to the wet road!! ;)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Swim Workouts

This was me exactly last summer. I decided to use swimming for exercise, but like you, was pretty much self taught (save for enough lessons to get me back to a boat if I fell out...). Here's what I found: swimming is hard. It is a totally different workout than anything else you can do. I too, was quite fit, but time your breaths around being facedown in water, and it's a game-changer. Head to the pool to see how it feels. I swim freestyle only. It's all I know, and frankly, once I discovered how inefficiently I was swimming and how technical it is, I decided to just work on that. I have found goswim.com to be really helpful for specific technique work. Speedo.com has some good videos too. If you go and find out that you're well fit and have good technique, then you're in a great spot. There are loads of swim workouts out there, it's just a matter of what your goal while you're in the water is.

There's a great community of swimmers here too. Search for us in the groups. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure how to do it. You can get lots of ideas and advice from some very seasoned swimmers.

Good luck! And welcome to the wet road!! ;)

Thank you :)