Why do you want to change?

The question is simply in the title... Why do you want to change?

Do you feel self-conscious, unhealthy, unable to do things you used to be able to do, or did others make fun of you because you were 'fat'?

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    ages 8-20- others made fun because i was a fatty. that was good; the insults helped me change for the better
    age 20 onwards- to look presentable, be strong, and at least try to prevent some pathologies in old life
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    All of the above, bandymay...except maybe the latter. Husband pokes a little fun now and again, but nothing malicious. It's the look on peoples faces who haven't seen me for a while that is probably my 4th reason - as in
    '*kitten*, what happened to you??? Got blown up by air pump or just wearing a truck tyre underneath those clothes?'.........
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    No, none of that for me. The truth is that I don't want to change my lifestyle. I just want to be thinner. I am healthy by all routine tests. No one (other than me) has ever said I was fat. I have no problems with mobility or activities.

I've gotten blasted on here more than once for saying I do not want to make changes and for vocalizing that I dislike the process of losing. But, it's true. I dislike every change I have to make in order to lose weight. I flippin' love my life.
  • dufus12
    LOL, needtoexcercise! Love the honesty! But wanting to be thinner is a reason for change - whether you want to or not!

I am not sure 'loving the changes' was automatically built into the question by OP!! :p
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Started out for health reasons . . . I saw myself becoming my mother! Did not want the whole pill-caddie lifestyle :/

Along the way, reasons have changed. I reached my 'no medication' goal and then I wanted to become more active/athletic like, now I just want to be the best me that I can be - health and physically wise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    dufus12 wrote: »
    LOL, needtoexcercise! Love the honesty! But wanting to be thinner is a reason for change - whether you want to or not!

I am not sure 'loving the changes' was automatically built into the question by OP!! :p

True, true. But the question was why do I want to change. I don't, but I do. Much conflict I have.
  • dufus12
    [quote

True, true. But the question was why do I want to change. I don't, but I do. Much conflict I have. [/quote]

Yup, that is true - but it's a conflict we all have deep down at some point - we want to be thinner but we don't necessarily want to give up the things that got to us to point where we recognised we wanted to be thinner.

Being thinner is always the first step we all think about it when we realise we need to lose weight but then most of us have to move on from that at some point, (unless you talking just a few lbs), cos otherwise that pure 'vanity' aspect will not get us through the long haul and the tough times......

I am not sure I wanted to change my lifestyle either but I need to.....so no point being miffed. Positive approach and all that......just don't take away my wine or beer and I will cope......!!! :p
  • PeterPan974
    PeterPan974 Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Hi there, I am 41, just want to reach my potential and live a fuller life. I used to be fit but lost my drive then muscles turned into fat and I hate that fat. My "why" is that I finally love myself, my body's my temple, and I don't want to give up on myself again. Am changing my "mind-talking" with NLP and Tony Robbins' program (Get the Edge) is very helping getting me where I want to be. Now that I have a plan, it seems less stressful. I have a very fit hubby and a very athletic kid whom I love dearly, I refuse to let them down, so I have to move my butt! Plus I hate looking at my fat belly that reminds me of I hate about my father.
    I need a training buddy though, to make it funnier and more challenging.
  • sy8s
    sy8s Posts: 429 Member
    My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and I would love to lose weight so I can feel better about myself.
  • I was 12st 8lb
    So wanted to get my body into shape, so used this app to keep track on my food and exercise.. I'm now contempt in less than 4 month too!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I chose to change because I used to be a pretty damned good athlete and went from that to struggling to walk my dog around the block...i chose to change because I was tired of being fat and wanted my previous body back....I chose to change because I have two small boys at home and all of my blood work a few years ago indicated that I really wouldn't be around to watch them become men...I chose to change because I wanted to feel and look good again...I chose to change so that I could hopefully be around to spend my retirement years traveling the world with my wife rather than in some hospital or nursing home...so change I did...just a few months shy of 3 years of good livin'.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    I want to be able to put on socks and tie my shoes without so much effort.

I want to be able to go on Scout trips with my son when he is old enough.

I want to be hotter in bed.

I want to lose the weight of my armor so that its weight is "free".
  • whereslisa
    whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
    Honestly?
    I want would look good. I want to be able to wear cute clothes and look good in them, I want to be able to look in the mirror and smile rather than avoid mirrors at all costs, I know that losing weight doesn't magically make everything better of course but I know it will help me be more confident not only because I look better and love myself more but because I worked for it and it is MY success. And it's something I will be proud of and am proud of what I lost so far too.

I also have many health issues and being healthier and losing weight will help them, I want to look better and feel better both physically and emotionally. I'm done playing diet games, this is my life, this is for real, and I'm 100% commited.