50+ FROM IOWA NEEDS SUPPORT

Options
Hi! My name is Jacque (Jackie)). I'm 52 years old and I live in Davenport Iowa. I'm at my highest weight ever and am SO out of shape. I can't believe I've let myself go this much. But.....no use cryin bout that now. Whats done is done. I need to implement a healthier lifestyle and lose some weight. My main focus is my health. I'm tired of feeling tired all the time. I'm sure some of you know what I mean. I really need support and motivation and pehaps someone to help me with accountability. (are you out there??)

Replies

• rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm from Iowa too! I was right where you are a few months ago and now I'm well on my way to being back to my high school weight, 30 lbs gone! You got this!
  • Suzejw
    Suzejw Posts: 1
    Options
    Will be 50 this year and things changed when my Dr said if I don't lose weight I will have to start taking diabetic medication. She gave me 4 months to make a change. That was the final KICK in the pants I needed. I did not want anyone telling me I could NOT have something because I was diabetic!! The biggest change I have made is consistently using My Fitness Pal to make myself accountable. I love using it because so much is already in their database. Recipes galore. I am doing several things - logging it! Accountability. I have to have that!! Next making healthier choices. More fruit and more vegetables. I eat more of the fruit and vegetables, but still get my treats, just in smaller quantities. Main thing is do it slowly. I eat what is fixed for dinner, but check with My Fitness Pal first to find the right quantity that fits within my calorie limit. Fill with lower calorie sides: applesauce (I love) to help fill me up. For example, 1 piece of pizza and dish of applesauce. I find the things I like to eat and look for lower calorie options - such as Baked Lays potato chips - lifesaver!! Low cal popcorn, etc. So find lower calorie options of what you love to eat! YOU CAN DO THIS!! You will feel better once you start. I have lost 18 pounds thus far. I am looking at this as a life change not a DIET though. Looking for long term eating habit changes. Also recently got the FitBit Flex. It helps motivate me to get one more "dot" equating to 2,000 steps, then one more, then one more. It is a great visual tool to motivate me!! Plus the extra steps give me extra calories and I don't gain the weight back!! HOPE THIS HELPS!! Take the FIRST STEP!!! You are NOT ALONE!!!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie and welcome to MFP. I can relate, I just recently started the same journey.

I belong to an active MFP - Fifty Plus (or So) Support Group, please feel free to join us in the pursuit of vitality, longevity, and healthy aging through proper nutrition, exercise, and social interaction.

I have found that sharing the journey with others helps keep me on track.