Can't eat all the calories

Options
124»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Original poster, the person who created the thread. So, in this case, it's you.
  • pwh300
    pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks Malibu92
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    @TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    Huh... Fried food will ensure that someone won't suffer the deleterious effects of low caloric intake. Cool - could use some fries w/mayo for sure! :)

Lighten up, folks, was just saying that I personally wouldn't recommend eating something, anything, just so you can get up to the magic number of 1200, whether or not you are hungry (and, incidentally, trying to lose weight). But, hey, to each her own...

Thank god! I've been making the same points as you when I see these threads come up and everyone shouts me down, I'm glad there is another rational person here. The most outrageous claims are that 1) people get malnourished when eating too few calories and 2) you should add high calorie foods to the diet.

For the first, calories don't measure nutrition. Eating 2000 calories worth of white sugar would meet the "minimum" goal and I would still be malnourished. Any bariatric surgeon would tell you that the majority of their patients, who are morbidly obese, are already malnourished.

Regarding the second, again, calories don't measure nutrition. If the solution to eating too few calories is "eat full-fat ground beef instead of lean ground beef, or whole milk instead of skim milk" then you haven't added any nutrients, you've just added fat to the diet. This is TERRIBLE advice that gets repeated over and over.

I'm not sure the question is "I'm malnourished, what should I eat". It's "I'm not eating enough calories, what should I eat". There is a huge difference.

Last time I checked, fat was a necessary nutrient. Very important for health. Getting it from a variety of sources is a great idea... Avoiding it is unnecessary, but many people still do it when trying to lose weight.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    pwh300 wrote: »
    What the heck is OP

Original post or original poster.

• pwh300
    pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thanks