Crunchy knees!

Options
Now that I am working out regularly I am noticing more and more that my knees sound like a bowl of rice crispies when I go up and down steps! Anything I can do to alleviate that or stop it from getting worse? I am working on exercising muscles to strengthen and stabilize them but this sounds internal to the joint. Suggestions? Thoughts!?

Replies

• JillSalus
    JillSalus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In for the suggestions, mine do the same thing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt? Do they swell? If not, don't worry about it. Mine have made crazy sounds for years, it's surprisingly common and normal from the research I've done.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have noisy knees too. My physiotherapist told me not to worry about it. My old ligaments have gotten spots of inflammation over the years and the rubber bands have gotten stiff spots like bubbles. They crackle when stretched.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have them too, my doctor put me on B-complex, Omega 3's and Glucosamine Chondroitin. I have to say, they've been pretty quiet of late.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Mine do it too! Especially when I'm doing a lot of squats!
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A bonus side effect of losing weight: funny joint noises and pains get reduced! Just keep up the hard work.
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mine too ... good to know.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I think it's called crepitus ... and is nothing to really worry about.
  • kathydraperfitness
    kathydraperfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt to go to a ortho doc to get it looked out. Things like Omega 3 fish oils, glucosamine/condroitin and curcumin can bring down inflammation levels. I have something called patella femoral syndrome that means my knee doesn't track properly and I hve a cartiledge damage. Activity like walking can help if it is arthritis - although I wouldn't recommend lots of squats or stair climbers until i get it checked out. Improper form on squats will just make it worse.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How well are you warming up? Or maybe try a sleeve over your knees to keep them warm and add support when you are doing leg work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i have it & also have OA (not saying your crepitus is that). Nothing can be done about it as far as I know.

i hear it a lot when i'm on the stationary bike (with every revolution, basically). honestly, the sound sickens me (i actually get a bit nauseous, so gross to think of bones and air and fluids and yaaaargh gross), so i crank up the music. that's my way of coping. (i can still feel them clicking which is still kind of nauseating, which is one reason i pedal like a demon to get past it)

oh yeah - you should probably get it looked at just in case. but most people get wear and tear.