Does anyone have any GERD-friendly recipes here?

Options
KittenTamer91
KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
I went to the doctor because of different stomach problems and was diagnosed with GERD (acid reflux). Does anyone have any recipes that are GERD safe? I'm still learning a lot about it.

Replies

• DonnaHilston
    DonnaHilston Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No recipes but I'm just curious as to why your doctor didn't give you a RX for your GERD. My doctor gave me Omeprazol (or however it is spelled). It has worked wonders cause now I have absolutely no heart burn or acid indigestion.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i take 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk with water with every meal, i find that it really makes a difference for me. maybe give it a try?
    im assuming you're also on medication now after the diagnosis? ultimately, only that will help...since all foods will cause your stomach to secrete more acid
  • KittenTamer91
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    i take 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk with water with every meal, i find that it really makes a difference for me. maybe give it a try?

@bulk_n_cut Is it over the counter?

And @DonnaHilston I don't know why. I was diagnosed but not treated. I should probably go back :neutral:

He did tell me certain foods to avoid. I am looking for recipes on here though that I can use since I have GERD.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

And @DonnaHilston I don't know why. I was diagnosed but not treated. I should probably go back :neutral:

yep, its the main ingredient in metamucil, but without any of the flavorings or sweeteners if you buy just the husk, i get mine from here

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/seeds/baking/psyllium-husk.html

but again, i do not have GERD, just mild occasional heartburn..so yeah definitely ask your physician about treatment options; longstanding untreated GERD can predispose to esophageal cancers (not tryna scare you lol just sayin)
  • KittenTamer91
    Options

yep, its the main ingredient in metamucil, but without any of the flavorings or sweeteners if you buy just the husk, i get mine from here

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/seeds/baking/psyllium-husk.html

but again, i do not have GERD, just mild occasional heartburn..so yeah definitely ask your physician about treatment options; longstanding untreated GERD can predispose to esophageal cancers (not tryna scare you lol just sayin)

Ok I will. Thanks!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My GERD disappeared completely as soon as I began eating a good balance of lean meats, vegetables, fruits, carbs and fats. I also stopped eating after dinner. I haven't taken omeprazole or any other acid reducer in three months. I hope you have the same experience; I'm no longer waking up in the night feeling like I just drank battery acid.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My symptoms stopped the day I quit coffee. I was a HEAVY coffee drinker since I was 14 or 15, and didn't quit until I was 31. My two 12 hour antacid plus tums a day stopped immediately.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    have you been checked for a hiatal hernia? I have a mild one i was born with and can control the symptoms most of the time if i avoid caffeine, fizzy drinks, high fat, citrus and tomatoes. Lately i have been terrible with the caffeine part though :/ . There is a book called dropping acid that has recipes in in specifically for this problem. I have not used it personally, but a friend of mine said her husband got relief after trying out meal plans from the book.
  • neirbookeik1
    Options
    #1 If you smoke stop if you don't then don't start
    #2 Don't eat after 7 pm let the food clear your stomach
    #3 raise the head of your bed 10to 30 degrees so you are sleeping at an angle
    #4 If you snore, have a big neck and cannot sleep on your back without getting heartburn. You got sleep apnea baby and heartburn is the least of your problems see a sleep clinic if you want to live
    #5 do all of the above and take omeprazole ( its Otc now)

Trust me I am a doctor with Barrett's esophagus. All of the above works
  • meyerl218
    meyerl218 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Neirbookeik1 that doesn't work for everyone. I have GERD and have never smoked, stopped eating 2 hours before bed, raised my bed, don't have sleep apnea and actually lost 60 pounds and my symptoms got worse. Everyone is different! You have to play around until you find what works for you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what @meyerl218 said.
    i've had to try different medicines. and while omeprezale is over the counter what i was prescribled was quadruple what normal people take.
    the doctor should help. track what foods trigger. also time of the month as people have hormonal changes.

i had gerd before i was overweight and still have it.