Intermittent Fasting

Options
A person on MFP has encouraged me to start intermittent fasting, and I really want to try! But every website I have been on doesn't give me the answer I want. Does anybody know if exercising during my 8-hour eating period is just as effective as exercising during my 16-hour fasting period? My schedule is way too busy to incorporate exercise into my fasting hours, so I can only do it during my eating hours. Is this okay?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn exercising are going to be the same no matter. Now if you are asking are you more likely to pass out/die exercising during your fasting period....I have no experience with that.
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of the 2:5 diet where 2 days out of the week are minimal calories and the other 5 are a normal day, this has worked well for a few ladies i know, they dont workout on their low calorie days ... i havent heard of anything where you actually fast for so many hours
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm currently bulking, so I'm not doing IF .. HOWEVER, when cutting, I generally do a 5 hour eating, 21 hour fasted, and work out as soon as I wake up (after having a cup (or two) of coffee)..
    As the above poster commented, your body sees a burned calorie as a burned calorie!

search on youtube for "hodgetwins intermittent fasting"
    not only are they funny as hell, but they really know their stuff ..

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I looked into this. There seem to be differing opinions - some say that it's beneficial to exercise fasted, others that it makes no difference.

I've been trying 16:8, because it fits well with my schedule. Usually have finished dinner by 8pm, nothing to eat until noon next day, although I can't manage without a little milk in my morning tea - there also seem to be differing opinions on that, too.

I like to call it IF because it sounds trendy, but really it's what we always called 'skipping breakfast'.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I looked into this. There seem to be differing opinions - some say that it's beneficial to exercise fasted, others that it makes no difference.

The amount of calories you burn is based on the amount of work done. That is independent of when you last. Would like to see opinions (links to studies) otherwise.

If I run a mile in 8 minutes I do 'X' amount of work doing that whether I ate 30 minutes ago or 8 hours ago.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

The amount of calories you burn is based on the amount of work done. That is independent of when you last. Would like to see opinions (links to studies) otherwise.

If I run a mile in 8 minutes I do 'X' amount of work doing that whether I ate 30 minutes ago or 8 hours ago.
    Yes, that makes sense, but when I looked into it, there were people who had sciencey reasons why it was good to be working out without having eaten recently. To be honest I wasn't really that interested and I can't be arsed to do the research again.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Yes, that makes sense, but when I looked into it, there were people who had sciencey reasons why it was good to be working out without having eaten recently. To be honest I wasn't really that interested and I can't be arsed to do the research again.

Sciencey says it takes 'x' amount of calories to push my fat *kitten* a mile in 8 minutes. The equation does not involve when I last ate.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes. You're fine.
  • davisaj6
    davisaj6 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i suggest that you do 30 minutes of cardio a day, for instance i do 10 minutes of a moderate pace on the rowing machine and then 20 minutes of jumping rope, one minute jumping on minute rest and cut 500 calories a day and have lost ten pounds this month. do not do long distance cardio or you will become super skinny with no muscle
  • mikeqyu
    mikeqyu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You'll have plenty of energy with intermittent fasting.