Tablespoon vs. Tablespoon

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    bonneboo wrote: »
    I understand you OP on not being able to buy a scale now. I can't either, even if its only $10, I can't "just buy one". My spoons are doing just fine - you should see my tablespoon of peanut butter - looks like a mountain

Why would your tablespoon of peanut butter look like a mountain? I don't understand.

I think she's probably packing on 2 or 3 servings on to the spoon??

That was the impression I got too. No wonder we always tell people they need to use a food scale.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lmao my $14 food scale was cheaper than a new wardrobe to accommodate a larger me :wink:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You don't use a scale when following a recipe that gives measurement by the spoon full.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You don't use a scale when following a recipe that gives measurement by the spoon full.

Very true. In this case I like to weigh the spoon/cup, fill it, weigh what's in it, and use the recipe builder for future reference when making food from recipes. But for A LOT of foods, the food scale is especially handy.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale when following a recipe that gives measurement by the spoon full.

FIFY. The royal 'you' wasn't appropriate since you can't possibly speak for everyone.

I and others use the listed measuring device in the recipe and then weigh the result in order to gets a more accurate estimate of what's being eaten.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a scientist that uses precise measurements from time to time at work. I use a balance. I use volumetric glassware. I use metric most of the time but have to convert it when speaking with USA customers. (I'm a US citizen but America is a two continents and not a country. At least that is what my fifth grade teacher taught me oh so many years ago - but I digress and that has stuck with me.)

A balance or a kitchen scale will almost certainly give more accurate measurements. Measuring cups, measuring spoons, and so on are only as good as how precisely they are made and how carefully they are utilized. Assuming the person using them is very careful, these measuring cups and spoons can still be pretty far off as they are likely not made precisely and calibrated. Thus, carefully used measuring cups and spoons are fine for recipes (there is no need for super precision in most recipes - not down to using expensive calibrated measuring cups) but if a person is very concerned about being accurate in logging calories then a balance or scale is more accurate. Expensive volumetric glassware can be close to as accurate but it is unrealistic to imagine volumetric glassware being used in a typical kitchen and would only be useful for liquids.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Nonoelmo, that is all very impressive - but I doubt $10 scales are calibrated to the nth degree either - and I really dont think the ultra exact measurement of either spoons or scales matters that much.
    Calorie counting s an Inexact science - you have to be accurate enough but not ultra accurate , ie it doesn't really matter if someones tablespoon is 15ml or 14.8 ml or if their scales are out by a couple of grams.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    And of course, to add to the confusion, entries in the database could be in metric tablespoons (20ml) or American tablespoons (15ml) ... use your scale where you can!

(Don't get me started on the varying volumes of cups across the world)

There's a metric tablespoon?! I'm not American, but I always took a tablespoon to be 15ml

Here in Australia, they use a 20ml metric tablespoon.

They have to be different to everyone else :smile:

Well that explains why a set of spoons that I bought at Dollarama had a 20ml tablespoon. I threw the set out. Canada has been on the metric system since the mid seventies and a tablespoon has always been 15ml.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    And of course, to add to the confusion, entries in the database could be in metric tablespoons (20ml) or American tablespoons (15ml) ... use your scale where you can!

(Don't get me started on the varying volumes of cups across the world)

There's a metric tablespoon?! I'm not American, but I always took a tablespoon to be 15ml

Here in Australia, they use a 20ml metric tablespoon.

They have to be different to everyone else :smile:

Well that explains why a set of spoons that I bought at Dollarama had a 20ml tablespoon. I threw the set out. Canada has been on the metric system since the mid seventies and a tablespoon has always been 15ml.

I'm in Australia and haven't had a 20ml tablespoon for over a decade..... All the sets of measuring spoons I've bought recently (or, since moving out of home quite a few years ago) have had 15ml tablespoons.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Scales are not expensive. My first scale that did a great job for several years was only $14. I wanted one with a better readout and larger base and got an excellent one for $38.

Since I stopped buying my monthly latte for $4 I've paid for it with that savings alone. Lol
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    The trouble with measuring peanut butter is that it sticks to the damned spoon or knife and you have to lick it off after weighing it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You are all aware that scales can't measure liquids, right? Just saying :p

I had no idea that a European tablespoon is 20 ml...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You are all aware that scales can't measure liquids, right? Just saying :p

I had no idea that a European tablespoon is 20 ml...

It's not its 15ml.

And scales can measure liquids if you know the conversion from weight to mls.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anybody actually weigh their seasonings? These are the only dry things you would want to use measuring spoons for (at least I do).

To throw things really off and add to the confusion:
    1 metric Tablespoon is 15 ml
    1 UK Tablespoon is 14.2 ml
    1 US Tablespoon is 14.8 ml

I weigh fresh herbs, but measure dried. And... I eyeball my measurements in my hand for those. I've been eyeballing measurements for herbs for years and I've tested myself before. I'm pretty accurate.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    bonneboo wrote: »
    I understand you OP on not being able to buy a scale now. I can't either, even if its only $10, I can't "just buy one". My spoons are doing just fine - you should see my tablespoon of peanut butter - looks like a mountain

That's sad.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The trouble with measuring peanut butter is that it sticks to the damned spoon or knife and you have to lick it off after weighing it.

I usually eat my almond butter off the spoon so what I do is put the empty spoon on the scale, tare it, get the almond butter on there and get the weight... fiddle around with taking some on and off the spoon until its the right amount by scraping it on the side of the jar... and then eat it.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have it set up to be notified by e-mail when someone replied to a discussion or a question I post on the message board but for some stupid reason it refuses to send me notifications still so I only saw this just now.

Yes , obviously using a scale is better but I don't have one and scales can be expensive and the last two I had randomly stopped working , even with fresh batteries and then disappeared from site. I live with parents, so that could be the culprit. Anyway, to clarify, it says "TBS 5ml" on one and "TBS 15 ml" on the other and they're both different sizes so how am I to be sure which is correct? They are in fact rounded. The point is, how are you to measure things like butter if you don't have and can't currently purchase a scale?

When we say shouldn't be rounded we mean at the top, your product should be level all across without going above the top of the spoon.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anybody actually weigh their seasonings? These are the only dry things you would want to use measuring spoons for (at least I do).

To throw things really off and add to the confusion:
    1 metric Tablespoon is 15 ml
    1 UK Tablespoon is 14.2 ml
    1 US Tablespoon is 14.8 ml

I weigh fresh herbs, but measure dried. And... I eyeball my measurements in my hand for those. I've been eyeballing measurements for herbs for years and I've tested myself before. I'm pretty accurate.

I am the same way and have also tested myself. You do it enough (and have a good eye for spacial relationships) and you "just know". I am also really good at estimating length too. Then again, working at a fabric store for 20 years and cutting fabric and trims all that time trained my eye.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I usually eat my almond butter off the spoon so what I do is put the empty spoon on the scale, tare it, get the almond butter on there and get the weight... fiddle around with taking some on and off the spoon until its the right amount by scraping it on the side of the jar... and then eat it.

Great idea, but too much work for me. Instead, I started eating pistachios instead of peanut butter . . . sure do miss it but it's an incentive for me to get to maintenance! Then it will be worth the extra work!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    5ml of oil is 4.5g
    1tbsp of butter = 14g

you can weigh liquids if you know how to convert them