Kettlebells: cardio or weight training?

Options
I am curious where to classify Kettlebells, cardio or weight training? If I walk/jog and do a Kettlebell workout a few times a week, is that enough to tone and lose weight or do I need to do something else?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less than you burn, to lose weight.
  • mor14gan
    mor14gan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you're stationary when you're using your kettlebell then it's weight training. Which is good, muscle burns calories when you're not working or as opposed to cardio that pretty much only burns calories while you're doing it. Do weight training then do a comfortable level of cardio
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you use the kettlebells. Love a good conditioning KB workout.

Whether or not it's 'enough' is entirely individual.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with Turkish getups
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    that depends on the weight of the kettle balls...and what you are doing with them...

as for weight loss as mentioned eat less than you are burning that's what you need to do.
  • slimmingqueen31
    slimmingqueen31 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I train 4 times per week, in 6 weeks of 2x kettlebells classes, 1x weight class and 1x swim i lost 11.2% body fat - also i cut down to 1200 cals per day.. did wonders for me ;-)
  • lizzy26x
    lizzy26x Posts: 1
    Options
    Kettlebells is a good weights work out but make sure you keep going up in your weight. Also do cardio after to burn fat and see how you are getting on. I personally love weight training which I include my kettlebells into and then I do a circuit cardio training for few rounds
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As said above its being in deficit from whatever source that decideds whether you lose weight.

If the kettlebells keeps your heart at a constant raised level then it cna be classed as cardio, but if its more about the strength side and lifting heavier weights its tending toward strength based exercise. They both burn calories just a different emphasis and only tiu will know the exact routine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A kettlebell is a weight so how could it not be weight training? If you get your heartrate into the aerobic zone, then it's cardio.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A kettlebell is a weight so how could it not be weight training? If you get your heartrate into the aerobic zone, then it's cardio.
    My shoes have weight, so running is weight training for my legs.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    YIfZRNN.png
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    gonnasnap wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with Turkish getups

Meeee too.

A KB can be used for a wide variety of lifts that are purely strength, say presses, lunges, squats, deadlifts, all taking apropriate time in between sets and the heart rate never really staying high long enough to be considered "cardio". Then you have, get ups, swings, high pulls, swing/cleans, snatches that all use the weight in fast movement that definitely keeps the heart rate up and pounding, I and my HRM both agree that this definitely counts as cardio. You have a bit of both in a routine, I would say it's the best of both worlds :)

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Whenever I mess around with a kettlebell at home, I add in jumping rope!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My shoes have weight, so running is weight training for my legs.

That makes no sense.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Traditional kettlebell training follows a format that is similar to circuit training, which is cardio primarily but also works to build functional strength (although it's not ideal for building muscle mass).
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am doing great with changing my eating habits and want to start focusing more on exercise. I didn't know if I needed to add weight training in addition to the Kettlebells to tone or not, that's all. Thanks again! :)