Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not enough potassium

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Sweet potatoes!
    White potatoes, too. And make sure you're eating the skin.

A low-sodium diet is pretty easy, though, if you cook at home mostly and learn to season with spices other than salt. I'm below 1,000 every day without even trying and I eat a lot of cheese.

It's not so hard at home, but I work about 275 hours a month and work 24-36 hour shifts. I don't cook at work so I'm just trying to find a balance in allowing for a little more sodium with an increase in potassium and a more manageable diet on a daily basis.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    bump-oh-mite
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Sweet potatoes!

A low-sodium diet is pretty easy, though, if you cook at home mostly and learn to season with spices other than salt. I'm below 1,000 every day without even trying and I eat a lot of cheese.

It's not so hard at home, but I work about 275 hours a month and work 24-36 hour shifts. I don't cook at work so I'm just trying to find a balance in allowing for a little more sodium with an increase in potassium and a more manageable diet on a daily basis.
    That is tough. What about making things at home and taking them to work?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I'm just starting with the exercise again. I'm having difficulty really getting going right now though because when my systolic is up I get terrible headaches. I'm trying to get my BP down and my healthy eating in place before I worry too much about my calories or really getting hard into exercise. I'm working out about 20-30 minutes a day.

If you are not, add a good amount of walking to your day. It's easy on everything and yet still will help bring down your BP. It can be really rough in the beginning, but you will slowly build and your BP should come down unless you have an overriding medical issue. I'll also say to be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to take your rest days.
  • ncmedic201
    Sweet potatoes!

That is tough. What about making things at home and taking them to work?

I've been eating more veggies at work, salads and fruits. Still trying to find an easier way to add protein. It's a lot easier in the winter when I can make soups, chili, casseroles etc and bring them to work. I bought some canned wild salmon to try while I'm at home this week. Hopefully it will be good and I can easily add that to my salads. I read something about adzuki beans. I'm not sure if I will be able to find them around here but I will try them and see if they taste good.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    In addition to the foods already listed, also peaches, oranges (and orange juice).
  • ncmedic201
    I'm just starting with the exercise again. I'm having difficulty really getting going right now though because when my systolic is up I get terrible headaches. I'm trying to get my BP down and my healthy eating in place before I worry too much about my calories or really getting hard into exercise. I'm working out about 20-30 minutes a day.

If you are not, add a good amount of walking to your day. It's easy on everything and yet still will help bring down your BP. It can be really rough in the beginning, but you will slowly build and your BP should come down unless you have an overriding medical issue. I'll also say to be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to take your rest days.

Is an exercise bike just as good as walking? I love walking...unfortunately the weather has not been very cooperative, nor has my crazy work schedule. I did find some exercise video's on YouTube so I was able to do that at work. I'm trying to find ways to add exercise to my routine at work. It's just got to be short, limited space requirement and not overwork me so much that I am to sore to lift when I'm done
  • ncmedic201
    How much weight did you lose when you noticed your BP drop?

Only about 10 lbs, but I think it was the changes in my sodium intake that had a bigger affect than my weight loss.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member

When not eating like I should, it's about 140/90. When I maintain a lower sodium diet (about 1000 mg or less) It comes down to about 120/80 or less. It's just hard maintaining a diet like that. I'm thinking that if I can do 1:1:3...1 calorie, 1 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium averaged out for every meal then I should be able to eat more realistically and control my BP with diet and exercise.

what is your bmi?

while I don't follow off of bmi for weightlifters I am wondering what yours is.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Is an exercise bike just as good as walking? I love walking...unfortunately the weather has not been very cooperative, nor has my crazy work schedule. I did find some exercise video's on YouTube so I was able to do that at work. I'm trying to find ways to add exercise to my routine at work. It's just got to be short, limited space requirement and not overwork me so much that I am to sore to lift when I'm done

Oh good, you're lifting. Just a suggestion, try lifting first, and then do your cardio. It will help with your lifts and it's a bit safer as you'll be fresher when you handle the weights.

As for biking vs. walking, I suggested walking only because it's easy on the body and a great way to ease yourself into exercise when you're finding it difficult. The important thing is that you're doing something right now, particularly if your BP is so bad that you're getting headaches. You have told your doctor about this, right? Those headaches could be a danger sign. I'm sorry, I'm clearly not a doctor, but I have family members who have had strokes and high BP and headaches are a danger sign.

Honestly, talk to your doctor, follow his/her advice, and otherwise keep up your diet and exercise. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, your BP should come down over time from those.
  • ncmedic201

When not eating like I should, it's about 140/90. When I maintain a lower sodium diet (about 1000 mg or less) It comes down to about 120/80 or less. It's just hard maintaining a diet like that. I'm thinking that if I can do 1:1:3...1 calorie, 1 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium averaged out for every meal then I should be able to eat more realistically and control my BP with diet and exercise.

what is your bmi?

while I don't follow off of bmi for weightlifters I am wondering what yours is.

25.6 I'm working on losing weight and watching my calories, but am more concerned with my potassium/sodium/BP. Once I figure out how to eat properly then I make exercise and weight loss my #1 goal instead of #2, which it currently is. I have been eating better and increased my exercise (except this weekend because my son graduated HS so I didn't track anything but still ate in moderation) My BP tonight is 122/82. Unfortunately, it's not averaging that quite yet.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Beet greens. Potatoes. Low sodium v8.

The v8 should be especially handy for you at work, and has loads of potassium.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I'm struggling to get enough potassium in on a daily basis. Anyone have suggestions? I'm trying to control my BP without medication and without being on super low sodium diet. I was able to come off my meds back in January but that was by lowering my sodium to about 1000 mg or less a day. I really don't want to eat that low of a sodium diet. It's to difficult to maintain. I think the only reason it worked was due to my potassium/sodium ratio. If I can bring my potassium up, I think I can have a more realistic diet.

Thanks!!

Actually, coffee is great for raising potassium levels without adding a lot of calories--AND decaf is slightly higher in potassium than regular! Also, if you use cream, cutting it half and half with coconut milk will add even more potassium--coconut milk is rich in potassium. :smile:
  • ncmedic201

Oh good, you're lifting. Just a suggestion, try lifting first, and then do your cardio. It will help with your lifts and it's a bit safer as you'll be fresher when you handle the weights.

As for biking vs. walking, I suggested walking only because it's easy on the body and a great way to ease yourself into exercise when you're finding it difficult. The important thing is that you're doing something right now, particularly if your BP is so bad that you're getting headaches. You have told your doctor about this, right? Those headaches could be a danger sign. I'm sorry, I'm clearly not a doctor, but I have family members who have had strokes and high BP and headaches are a danger sign.

Honestly, talk to your doctor, follow his/her advice, and otherwise keep up your diet and exercise. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, your BP should come down over time from those.

The lifting I am doing right now is actually lifting patients at work. I can't be sore and not do my job at work. As far as my doctor, I was put on 3 different medications at the end of last year. I came off the meds at the end of January/beginning of February. I was controlling my BP with a very low sodium diet but that has been to hard to maintain on a daily basis. My BP has gone back up and now I'm trying to find a more realistic diet that I can maintain at work. (I'm a paramedic so I work crazy shifts ranging from 12-36 hours)

I have tried to contact the local gym to get information. They open at 4:30 so I am hoping to add real lifting soon (if I can manage to get out of the house early enough in the morning) I'm just trying to set one good habit in motion at a time instead of trying to change everything at once and become overwhelmed and frustrated.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Beet greens have TONS of potassium. Spinach and other dark green leafy veggies are also good.
  • ncmedic201
    I'm struggling to get enough potassium in on a daily basis. Anyone have suggestions? I'm trying to control my BP without medication and without being on super low sodium diet. I was able to come off my meds back in January but that was by lowering my sodium to about 1000 mg or less a day. I really don't want to eat that low of a sodium diet. It's to difficult to maintain. I think the only reason it worked was due to my potassium/sodium ratio. If I can bring my potassium up, I think I can have a more realistic diet.

Thanks!!

Actually, coffee is great for raising potassium levels without adding a lot of calories--AND decaf is slightly higher in potassium than regular! Also, if you use cream, cutting it half and half with coconut milk will add even more potassium--coconut milk is rich in potassium. :smile:

Oh sweet! I used to drink regular coffee like a mad woman! I've cut back to 2 cups of 1/2 caff in the morning. Maybe I'm getting a little more potassium than I thought from that. I just bought some coconut milk today so I'll have to try switching out some of the creamer for that. I never thought about that. Thanks!
  • ncmedic201
    How much weight did you lose when you noticed your BP drop?

Only about 10 lbs, but I think it was the changes in my sodium intake that had a bigger affect than my weight loss.

That's what i am questioning. Was it the sodium or the weight loss. Is your BP going up(i am assuming you increased sodium).

I did increase my sodium. They moved me to another station and I'm having a harder time adapting to changing my diet (not as good of grocery store and I'm the only ambulance at the new station vs having 3 at the other station so I'm not cooking at work anymore) I'm still eating a lower sodium diet than I was but I think I'm not getting a good sodium/potassium balance.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

What's your sugar intake like? When I cut out added sugar and restricted my carbs to staying between 70 and 100 grams per day, my b.p. plummeted to the point where I could eliminate both of the maximum dosages of b.p. meds I was on. Some new research suggests that fructose (table sugar, sucrose, is 50% fructose) metabolism, because it raises uric acid levels in the blood, causes high blood pressure. The link is pretty strong and even though my case is just anecdotal, if certainly proved it to me. Our greatest single exposure to fructose is in all the sugar people eat. National consumption has gone from about five pounds per year per capita in 1900 to an estimated 150 pounds per person per year today. Only about 40% is consumed in sugary foods--the rest is hidden in processed food. I got a salad at a restaurant the other day that had 14 grams of sugar (and, btw, 1,800 mg. of sodium) somewhere in it (I looked it up on the restaurant chain's website). I guess it was in the salad dressing but I couldn't tell because it was so incredibly salty that I could barely eat it. :frown: I should have asked for the dressing on the side.
  • ncmedic201

What's your sugar intake like? When I cut out added sugar and restricted my carbs to staying between 70 and 100 grams per day, my b.p. plummeted to the point where I could eliminate both of the maximum dosages of b.p. meds I was on. Some new research suggests that fructose (table sugar, sucrose, is 50% fructose) metabolism, because it raises uric acid levels in the blood, causes high blood pressure. The link is pretty strong and even though my case is just anecdotal, if certainly proved it to me. Our greatest single exposure to fructose is in all the sugar people eat. National consumption has gone from about five pounds per year per capita in 1900 to an estimated 150 pounds per person per year today. Only about 40% is consumed in sugary foods--the rest is hidden in processed food. I got a salad at a restaurant the other day that had 14 grams of sugar (and, btw, 1,800 mg. of sodium) somewhere in it (I looked it up on the restaurant chain's website). I guess it was in the salad dressing but I couldn't tell because it was so incredibly salty that I could barely eat it. :frown: I should have asked for the dressing on the side.

I get my sugar in the morning from my coffee creamer. Other than that, I have pretty much cut out sugar and am eating mostly fruits, veggies, meat, rice pasta etc. My BP used to be great when I was eating healthy, exercising daily etc but then I began to eat out a lot at work, stress and two teen boys...it slowly crept up. I'm still trying to learn how to eat a variety of veggies in order to get more nutrients. I'm thinking about researching a juicer. That might be the route for me. I don't normally eat a lot and am really having a hard time trying to eat enough to get all of my nutrients in.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    I, too was told by my Dr. that I needed to add more potassium to my diet. He gave me a prescription for potassium pills but I, like you didn't really want to have to take a pill. So, I searched the internet and found and potassium rich shake that I drink in the morning for breakfast. I add a scoop of whey protein to help fill up and stay fuller longer.

If you (or anyone for that matter) is interested in the recipe, I would be happy to share it with you. Just send me a message and I will give you the recipe. The shake itself has 1,320 grams of potassium. To me that's a pretty bring jump start to the day. :wink: