BBC Documentary - The Truth About Calories

Options
annette_15
annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iaRWiKoiVk

Good watch, nothing groundbreaking, but it does some calorie testing on pre packaged foods, gives some tips on how to cut calories and just promotes general awareness. I found it interesting and worth my time, just thought I'd share

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    oh wow this is eerie, lol we both posted documentaries with a similar descriptions at the exact same time, 1:22am, on the same Food and Nutrition forum...wow
  • annette_15
    Options
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    oh wow this is eerie, lol we both posted documentaries with a similar descriptions at the exact same time, 1:22am, on the same Food and Nutrition forum...wow

Ahahaha too funny. I've already seen yours tho :P
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Love the use of the BodyMedia type device where even they say it can take 1-2 weeks for the unit to adjust the sensor input formulas to you specifically.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Wow that is pretty awesome! I never knew you could burn so much calories by doing house work or even by sitting around doing nothing! The amount burned from doing nothing surprised me the most since I thought the amount would be a lot lower. :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Wow that is pretty awesome! I never knew you could burn so much calories by doing house work or even by sitting around doing nothing! The amount burned from doing nothing surprised me the most since I thought the amount would be a lot lower. :)
    I've posted this several times. I wear a BodyMedia Fit, and my biggest calorie burn days aren't on days when I do a big workout (because I'm tired and I sit around a lot after), but on days when I've hosted a party, because I'm moving from the time I get up until the time I go to bed.

You don't have to kill yourself to burn calories, just keep moving.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »
    I've posted this several times. I wear a BodyMedia Fit, and my biggest calorie burn days aren't on days when I do a big workout (because I'm tired and I sit around a lot after), but on days when I've hosted a party, because I'm moving from the time I get up until the time I go to bed.

You don't have to kill yourself to burn calories, just keep moving.

I also wear a BodyMedia and this fact definitely surprised me.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

oh...what'd you think of it?
  • annette_15
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

oh...what'd you think of it?

I liked it, I think most of the BBC lifestyle documentaries are entertaining and well made with some good info.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a 3rd episode of this, too? I saw the sugar and calorie ones, then forgot about it.
  • annette_15
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a 3rd episode of this, too? I saw the sugar and calorie ones, then forgot about it.

Yeah, theres one called The Truth About Fat as well, they are all on youtube
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this documentary. I must try Bangers and Mash sometime! It looks delicious. Is that sold in US supermarkets as a prepared meal?

Towards the end the speaker talks about simply being "calorie aware," rather than weighing and measuring and calorie counting. I like the simplicity of that approach.

• annette_15
    Options
    I agree... and it annoyed me when the guy in the end who has a TDEE of like 3300 says just to make 'reasonable' choices and not obsess over calories. Thats easy for u to say lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It has a few problems.

1) It quotes the 'average' of 2,000 Kcal and doesn't focus enough on individual differences.
    2) The exercise groups are over different time frames and burn is measured by HRM type devices.
    3) Whilst the message is good, all it shows is how we can reduce calorie intake. It doesn't cover by how much we need to. This is linked to 1).

So a bit of a curate's egg really.

1 - Ya, love those averages for 2000 women and 2500 men, and even the 1 example family that sat around, the guys was pretty big and probably more, the woman shorter than avg probably and burned even less.
    2 - Even worse, they used a BodyMedia type device, fine for the sitting around and cleaning families, not as good as HRM for exercising family. But even those devices need about 2 weeks to adjust to the user. Just strapping on is worst use for them for all.
    3 - I think the good message is always reduce by a little bit, get a little bit more active.
    Contrasted with what we see many times - take minimal eating level and go nuts in the gym - which isn't good either long term, sometimes short term.
    I think their tips on how to cut the calories down by just a few hundred was good idea.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    They have a Truth about Food series that's pretty good too. In one of them, there was a segment that debunked the idea of detoxing.