Peoples ideas on tabata workout

what do people think about tabata workouts for weight loss? Good or bad?

Replies

• kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    You need a decent amount of fitness to be able to do them well in the first place, and if you do more than one cycle (8x20secs), it's not really HIIT any more, just another form of interval training.
    They're good exercise and get you working at a good level of intesity, but they obviously need to go alongside a calorie deficit to be useful for weight loss.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Calorie deficit for weight loss
    Exercise for health

Tabata is great for improving your fitness - but most weight loss will come from your diet.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Tabata was a protocol for improving VO2Max in speed skaters (irony is Tabata was the assistant of the guy who invented it...)

If you are looking to improve your VO2max and can do an exercise with good enough form that you can achieve the desired intensity, then go for it.

If you want to lose weight, sustain a moderate calorie deficit and get adequate protein.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Exercise for health

Tabata is great for improving your fitness - but most weight loss will come from your diet.

It depends on the proportion of calorific deficit that comes from reducing consumption to those burned ftom exercise. Its easier to do the former than the latter.

Tabata is fine, but youd need to do ir properly and I wouldnt hold your breath just how many calories it will burn. Before you start doing it check with Dr or make sure you have no heart/ medical issues because it involves pishing yourself. Id be cautious about the calorie burn you think you will get, but try it and see. As pointed out above its useful for improving VO2Max.

• jimmmer
    999tigger wrote: »
    Exercise for health

It depends on the proportion of calorific deficit that comes from reducing consumption to those burned ftom exercise. Its easier to do the former than the latter.

Tabata is fine, but youd need to do ir properly and I wouldnt hold your breath just how many calories it will burn. Before you start doing it check with Dr or make sure you have no heart/ medical issues because it involves pishing yourself. Id be cautious about the calorie burn you think you will get, but try it and see. As pointed out above its useful for improving VO2Max.

Also, and I can't emphasise this enough, it was designed for Olympic Level Athletes.

Most people just aren't in good enough c-v shape to warrant doing something so extreme for such a minimal effect. For an elite athlete a minimal effect is massive - might be the culmination of a year's worth of planned training and can make the difference between bronze and silver or silver and gold (or even making the podium).

For a regular guy/girl? No, it's not necessary. You'll improve your VO2Max naturally over time by engaging in a sensible and structure training programme suitable for your level of fitness and congruent with your goals. A fact many people on this site (and elsewhere) don't seem to understand is that elite-level training is effective for elite-level trainees. It most likely will not be for regular people/casual athletes....

• gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/6-new-tabata-workouts-for-fast-fat-loss

It does more than increase your vo2 max. It also kicks your metabolism into high gear. This article has a good variety in it. There's also a ton of body weight tabata's you can do. It's about increasing your heart rate and not about getting a perfect score from the judges on your form.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Gonnassnap do you do pure tabata? I understand about epoc and tabata in general.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Gonnassnap do you do pure tabata? I understand about epoc and tabata in general.

I don't. I throw it in from time to time after a workout but I use it more for a quick conditioning session when I don't have time to push the prowler.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise addresses other fitness areas (strength, cardiovascular, mobility, endurance, balance, speed, agility).

Tabata is a good approach for building on cardiovascular fitness and depending on how you structure the work can address speed and agility. Also, it is very intense and shouldn’t be overdone.
  • mcloud1977
    mcloud1977 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks everyone, just what I wanted to hear really, I use it after a workout for that final push of cardio :)
  • jimmmer
    edited April 2015
    gonnasnap wrote: »
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/6-new-tabata-workouts-for-fast-fat-loss

It does more than increase your vo2 max. It also kicks your metabolism into high gear. This article has a good variety in it. There's also a ton of body weight tabata's you can do. It's about increasing your heart rate and not about getting a perfect score from the judges on your form.

Oh, a t-nipple article. That settles things then...

how much extra calorie burn will you get from 4 mins (including rest periods)? Probably minimal.... mostly you're doing it for conditioning, increased recovery capacity, etc.

From the above article:

"The only thing that separates a conditioning program from a fat loss program is the diet. You can improve your endurance and conditioning without going on any special diet. For fat loss, do the same workouts but fix your diet."

So basically, if you want to lose fat sort out your diet. Stuff like this is cherry-on-the-cake. I mean, do it if it makes you feel happy, but most of your results come from nailing a deficit and getting enough protein.

As to perfect form.... well, the form-police may or may not get on your a*r*s*e about it, but doing exercises sloppily for time is a great way to mess up your soft tissue.
  • mcloud1977
    Ok so when you say enough protein, how much is enough? I'm 5"10, 105 kgs mostly muscle but a nice thick layer of unwanted fat, how much would I need as I get told don't have it, have it, only have it in the morning, only have it after training etc etc so I have no idea how much and when
  • jimmmer
    Most people would recommend 0.8-1gm/lb of lbm. If you want to be around the right ball park you could just get in 1gm/lb of total mass.

Getting high protein and a moderate deficit (which gets slimmer the nearer you get to a low bf%) is by far the thing that's going to get you the best results.

Also, things like tabata, done with crappy form can lead to injuries that detract from sustained progressive training which will again lead to the majority of your results. Increasing your aerobic base increases your recovery time and can feed nicely into a progressive lifting routine. Tabata is not the only route to increasing your base though...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    gonnasnap wrote: »

I don't. I throw it in from time to time after a workout but I use it more for a quick conditioning session when I don't have time to push the prowler.

This is how i use tabatas. A nice finisher or quick pinch when I'm in a time crunch. Its just another tool used occasionally, not primarily.
  • mcloud1977
    Ok cool thank my good friend :)
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    kpkitten wrote: »
    You need a decent amount of fitness to be able to do them well in the first place, and if you do more than one cycle (8x20secs), it's not really HIIT any more, just another form of interval training.

This isn't true. It wouldn't be a Tabata if you went beyond 8x20s, but there are many different type of HIIT intervals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    edited April 2015
    mcloud1977 wrote: »
    what do people think about tabata workouts for weight loss? Good or bad?
    It doesn't burn that many calories if you're doing it the way you're supposed to. It should be 4 minutes and done.
    That said, Tababta was designed for increasing VO2 max so you're fitness and conditioning will improve. Also there is a slight raise in RMR if one applies the protocol long enough.

But it still comes down to calorie deficit for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    kpkitten wrote: »

This isn't true. It wouldn't be a Tabata if you went beyond 8x20s, but there are many different type of HIIT intervals.

What I mean is that as you increase the number of cycles, you're decreasing your ability to actually work at a high enough intensity for it to be HIIT. If you replaced a "normal" 45 minute gym session with 45 minutes of Tabatas, it's just interval training, not HIIT, because you wouldn't be able to do the H part for 45 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Exercise for health

Also, and I can't emphasise this enough, it was designed for Olympic Level Athletes.

Most people just aren't in good enough c-v shape to warrant doing something so extreme for such a minimal effect. For an elite athlete a minimal effect is massive - might be the culmination of a year's worth of planned training and can make the difference between bronze and silver or silver and gold (or even making the podium).

For a regular guy/girl? No, it's not necessary. You'll improve your VO2Max naturally over time by engaging in a sensible and structure training programme suitable for your level of fitness and congruent with your goals. A fact many people on this site (and elsewhere) don't seem to understand is that elite-level training is effective for elite-level trainees. It most likely will not be for regular people/casual athletes....
    So much this. The fitness industry is very good at taking a successful program and hybriding it to something that the industry can make money off of. A good example is functional training.
    Functional training was specifically for rehab. The fitness industry started applying it to programs in gyms and now you see Bosu balls, stability balls, etc. everywhere now. Not that it can't help one with fitness and strength, but many times exercises being taught aren't applicable to that client. For instance some can't do a squat on a flipped over Bosu ball without shaking like a leaf. But for those who can, how does it apply to your everyday life or hobby that you do? If one has to use balance (skate boarding, skiing, gymnastics, dance) then yes, but if someone doesn't do those and is just doing exercise to be just physically active, there's no much need to subject them to it unless they want to do it.
    Point is, don't always believe all the hype from the fitness industry when it comes to "new" exercise strategies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    I alternate 4 and 15-minute sessions of body weight+ intervals 4 days a week. I have gained strength, agility and endurance. Muscles appeared but no weight loss happened until I reduced my caloric intake.