Just a bit of general advice please

Options
astgte
astgte Posts: 81 Member
Ive started at a local gym and been given a programme of weights and cardio activities to do and am working very well at them and actually enjoying doing so. My question is, one of the trainers recommended that I should try planks, something I thought was to do with building a house beforehand but now that I know what ive to do and also some crunches, I was wondering is there really a limit of how many I should do in a day, theyre so handy to do I find myself trying to do them really at every opportunity I can, just a couple, a few minutes at each set. Am I better to just do a couple or is there any harm in indulging myself when I want? Any suggestions will be appreciated

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would do bigger lifts (deadlift and squat) to improve core strength....

Doing any ab exercise is great though... But won't give you abs, if that's your goal. You have abs. You just need to lose the fat to see them!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing planks. There is a Plank Challenge app you can check into that is free. It gives you mulitple versions of the plank and you do so many each day of the month. After a month of that you may decide you don't like planks..........lol...just kidding.
  • astgte
    astgte Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks, not looking for huge abs, just trying to tighten up around that area after a large weight loss and not doing bad, just looking for something to help break up the mononity of same exercises.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Core exercises are so important and will set you up to do so many other things. I suggest you write down how many planks you do and how much rest in between. All I can do is three rounds of fifteen squats. That's my upper limit. But if I rest an hour or so I could theoretically hit them again.

I promised my physiotherapist that if I feel joint pain above a "2" (2/10), I'd stop right away.