Cardio or weights first? Does it matter?

Options
Good morning all, lately my normal gym routine has been a 1 or 2 mile warmup on the treadmill, a 20 minute spot on a stationary bike or an elliptical, and then lifting or leg machines. Someone at my gym told me I shouldn't break it up like that (i should do 40 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical but not both), and that I should lift first and then do cardio after.

I'm new to weights so when I'm done, I'm pretty wore out. I can't really imagine running or any sort of cardio after. Does it really make a difference?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I am lift focused so I lift first.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I prefer slight warm up and then weights first because i want to be at my best when lifting heavy things where form matters. I cna finish off with cardio and just give my all at the end. If you cnat manage both, then common says just do one or the other.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you want to shift the focus to weights...then its lift first cardio second. The thing with weights is...nothing gives your body that kind of "look" but weights but people do not realize that circuit training on weight machines can get you to "look" as if you did free weights and circuit training is quicker...time wise.

Many younger people will disagree with me...they are young. I am 55 I have done body building with free weights and circuit training...the result is very similar.

I do not wish to be attacked for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    If you want to shift the focus to weights...then its lift first cardio second. The thing with weights is...nothing gives your body that kind of "look" but weights but people do not realize that circuit training on weight machines can get you to "look" as if you did free weights and circuit training is quicker...time wise.

Many younger people will disagree with me...they are young. I am 55 I have done body building with free weights and circuit training...the result is very similar.

I do not wish to be attacked for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.
    BAHAHAH at prefacing your posts with do not attack me!

Sorry, you're constantly giving wrong advice, so how can someone NOT respond? 55 years old or not, age has nothing to do with knowledge.

OP - I prefer lifting and cardio on separate days, that way I can lift freakin heavy without worrying about being able to move after, and then running my butt off the next day. That being said if you don't have the time for that, go by what works best for you!

ETA: p.s leg day and cardio never mix well, so here's a pre-warning LOL
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's personal preference and what helps with your goals more.

For me, I lift first then do cardio. I've found that if I do cardio first, my lifts suffer. I've also found that if I do cardio first, I'm more apt to skip out on weights because I've already been at the gym for "sooo long." (Even though that's mostly mental rather than actual.)

I do some dynamic warm-ups and warm-up sets on the weights before I actually lift, which can help prevent injuries from working too much with 'cold' muscles.

ETA: Like the PP, I rarely do my lifting and long cardio on the same day. I usually lift and then walk or bike for 10-15 mins. I do my runs on days when I don't lift.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I could definitely do separate days. I know it's a learning experience and I should try stuff. I went from 200-173 in about a year, I tried a low-carb diet to break a stall and gained 10 pounds back. Now I'm sitting at 178 but I would like to focus more on weights. I'd like to have some definition. I'm okay with gaining a few pounds in muscle to have some great arms.
  • jkwolly
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I could definitely do separate days. I know it's a learning experience and I should try stuff. I went from 200-173 in about a year, I tried a low-carb diet to break a stall and gained 10 pounds back. Now I'm sitting at 178 but I would like to focus more on weights. I'd like to have some definition. I'm okay with gaining a few pounds in muscle to have some great arms.
    Just remember, weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out and working out is for health!

So keep at it, and just focus at not doing any fad diets like cutting carbs, etc (unless for medical reasons)! Slow and steady! :)

ETA: And lifting while losing helps you retain muscle mass, so good for you on starting that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In general, you'd base it on your goals. If your goal is to work on strength and/or muscle building, you would likely go for a warm up and then lift weights and then you would do your cardio after that or on a different day. If you are more focused on cardio health, you would likely do it in the opposite order. But if you are just wanting general fitness, you'd do it whatever way you want to do it.

I usually do them on separate days. One day a week, though, I usually walk on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes and then do an additional lower body weight training session. The walking isn't really intensive so it serves more as a long warm-up rather than wearing me out.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't really see any reason that breaking up the cardio is really hurting you from a weight loss perspective at least.

Supposedly you can burn more fat during a workout if you lift weights first because you've depleted the muscle glycogen and this is supposedly going to make you start burning fat earilier in the cardio workout.

if there is any effect at all its pretty minimal and the only thing that really matters would be total calories burned.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It is about the results you are looking to achieve... I am personally doing 35 minutes of elliptical before I grab a barbell or a dumbbell... BUT then I am only doing 3 lifts afterwards...my goal is to increase muscle mass and reduce fat while loosely staying within a caloric deficit...My ultimate goal is to develop the physical attributes of a rugby forward... in short I want to be able to flip a compact car on its side.. then outdistance the owner as he chases me down the street :D
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can run on tired legs, but lifts break down on tired legs/core. So I lift first.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend breaking cardio and lifting up into separate days so that you can give your all to whichever you're working on that day. Lift until you can't lift any more. Cardio until you can't talk through your cardio.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    what's best??? is what feels good to you... there is NO right way.. there is only YOUR way...until you decide to become an elite athlete... then you will have all the advice you need form a real coach...of course... YOU might also visit a wellness clinic... where you can speak to nutritionists, kinesiologists, physiotherapists etc.... etc.. and get a plan specific to you... BUT who has that kind of money???
  • jkwolly
    Options
    I would also recommend breaking cardio and lifting up into separate days so that you can give your all to whichever you're working on that day. Lift until you can't lift any more. Cardio until you can't talk through your cardio.
    Unless you're running, you should always be able to keep a light conversation otherwise you're going too fast.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Talking through cardio, not talking through cardio? Surely its just an indication of exertion and you use pace accordingly to what your aims are? Im not sure on what basis you say too fast and why?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The one that is more important to you, that's the one you do first.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    I can run on tired legs, but lifts break down on tired legs/core. So I lift first.

This. I run and lift on alternate days, but if I were doing both on the same day, I'd rather lift first. I can seriously hurt myself if I'm lifting when I'm worn out. If I run when I'm already tired, I'll just run slower.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think it's less dangerous to lift heavy weights first and cardio afterwards so that you are not moving heavy weights whilst partially exhausted/fatigued etc. But it's up to you.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    It is about the results you are looking to achieve... I am personally doing 35 minutes of elliptical before I grab a barbell or a dumbbell... BUT then I am only doing 3 lifts afterwards...my goal is to increase muscle mass and reduce fat while loosely staying within a caloric deficit...My ultimate goal is to develop the physical attributes of a rugby forward... in short I want to be able to flip a compact car on its side.. then outdistance the owner as he chases me down the street :D

I hope I'm not around when you reach your goal. :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Unless you're running, you should always be able to keep a light conversation otherwise you're going too fast.

What? Going too fast for what?