Can you make strength gains/add muscle without heavy weights?

Options
Hi all!

I'm a 35yo female, 5'6", 150lbs. I have lost about 20 lbs over the last year & my goal is another 10 or so. I'm currently eating in a deficit to lose a pound a week (I need to lose 4 pounds for a weight loss challenge ending in a month and then I will change my settings to 1/2 pounds a week). Right now my calorie goal is 1260 per day (without accounting for exercise). It is on the low side because I spend 8 hours a day sitting at a desk & another 1 1/2 commuting to and from work.

I participate in a bootcamp style workout 3x a week that incorporates running/pushups/squats/lunges/burpees/situps & plyometrics (jump squats/lunges/etc). I know I am maintaining too large of a deficit to be making any muscle gains, but are bodyweight exercises enough to maintain muscle mass while losing weight?

In addition, will these allow me to add muscle once I begin eating closer to maintenance? I have done crossfit for a short period before & I love lifting heavy weights but I don't have time or access to a gym with the appropriate equipment right now. I do have 20lb dumbbells & a 25lb kettlebell but these are not that heavy to me any longer.

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I participate in a bootcamp style workout 3x a week that incorporates running/pushups/squats/lunges/burpees/situps & plyometrics (jump squats/lunges/etc). I know I am maintaining too large of a deficit to be making any muscle gains, but are bodyweight exercises enough to maintain muscle mass while losing weight?
    There is some gray area here, but generally speaking, if you are doing those exercises/movements with sufficient intensity, then yes, they are enough.

In addition, will these allow me to add muscle once I begin eating closer to maintenance? I have done crossfit for a short period before & I love lifting heavy weights but I don't have time or access to a gym with the appropriate equipment right now. I do have 20lb dumbbells & a 25lb kettlebell but these are not that heavy to me any longer.
    Bodyweight exercises can certainly be effective, but you'll probably have to move away from class-style workouts and more towards strength-training routines if you are serious about adding muscle. Look into programs like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.

So the general answer to your questions is... yes, body weight exercises are more than fine. No, you don't specifically NEED heavy weights. However, you do need to make sure you are doing your workouts with sufficient intensity.
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly helpful. Thanks so much for your input. I'll check out the programs you recommended.
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    And since I only work out 3x (with the exception of a run thrown in here & there), I make sure to keep my intensity at my maximum.